Well, that's good. Yay, Pallina!
It puts you on alert, though, to keep an eye out! :sigh:

:hugs:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't update this thread in the last few days...
Pallina had another episode of dark vomit on last Friday around midday. She hasn't had any more episodes of the kind since. Poop is fine, same color and consinstency as usual, so I do not think that anything that is giving this color to her vomit has passed to the lower GI tract.

If it is blood, why isn't this happening more often?
If it isn't blood, what else can it be?
I took a photo of this last vomit, I sent it to my vet, I know he received the message, but he didn't reply to me and I could take it as "there's nothing to worry about". Anyway I would like to hear from him.

I recently started giving Pallina the Denosyl-like pill again after 10 days or so of suspension. And she started vomiting part of it again, so it is clear now that that the outer film of the pill gives her stomach troubles.
I tried to reach the responsible for the production of this pill, but today he wasn't in, I left a message. He explicitely asked me to suspend and then re-introduce the pill and then tell him what happens. I hope he calls me back.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Again, tonight, Pallina threw up a coffe dark fluid, right on the couch :ohwell:
Yesterday I called my vet, who received my last email, saw the photo, but thought and told me that it might depend on the inflammated duodenum.
For her stomach ache the vet suggested me to use a supplement that acts like a pain modulator. It is intended for joints, but it seems it is good for belly aches too.
I want to take a different approach and this morning I will call a different clinic and ask them what they think to do. I don't even know if in this new clinic they have someone or something to investigate more, but at the moment it's the only thing I can do.

My vet adviced me to take Pallina to the same hi-tech clinic where I took Lola to for her special surgery. Over there they have the best equipment available, but after what they did (and didn't do) for Lola, I wouldn't trust them even for a brushing! :fuming:

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If, as your Vet speculates, the dark color vomit is coming from the duodenum, and contains some blood, there will also be blood in the stool, which you will probably NOT be able to see.

A stool sample needs to be analyzed microscopically in a lab.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As a matter of fact my intention is to collect a sample of stool and take it to the lab, probably on next Monday when I'm home from work.

This morning I called another clinic (where Pallina had the CT scan done in October). I explained the vet the whole story and she told the same exact words that my vet told me yesterday!
If there's blood it is possible that there's a lesion or inflammation in the duodenum.
No specific meds have been suggested. I could give Pallina shots of Ranitidine twice daily for about 10 days and see what happens.
If the symptom persists then it could be the case to have a new ultrasound scan done.

So, if two different vets have told me the same words, I think this is the only thing I can do.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Palllina hasn't had another dark vomit episode since last Friday.
As from last weekend I suspended all meds and supplements. I had the feeling that the two liver supplements were giving her troubles. I had already suspended the Denosyl-like pill, then i suspended the other one, along with the Fortekor.
Meanwhile I introduced two daily shots of Ranitidine.
She hasn't vomited anymore since.
The even better thing is that after two days of suspension, Pallina was not more lethargic as she had been in the last few weeks. She's active, playful and alert. And her appetite has increased a lot!

So, although those supplements were giving her some advantages, the liver anzymes were going down to better levels, they were also giving her troubles with her stomach!

A month ago I had called the manufacturer of both supplements (the same company makes them both) to tell them that I was thinking that their pills were giving nausea to my cat, and the doctor of the company asked me to try two weeks without pills and the to reintroduce them again for a week.
I wanted to tell him what the outcome of the experiment was, but it seemed he couldn't care the less...

Anyway, Pallina is much better off without meds now, and unless it is strictly necessary, I won't give them anymore!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope it doesn't happen again! I'm so happy she seems to be back to normal. How is she doing now? i would bet it was those pills, I'm glad you figured out what it was, since she hasn't had anymore episodes, it most likely was.
She reminds me of my 17 year old Burt. My sister brought her dog along, a black lab, from colorado when she visited. We kept the dog in the back yard for a few hours. All my other cats were afraid and hid from sight, but not Burt! When the door was opened to give the dog some water, he dashed out and literally attacked the dog! It took us 5 minutes of chasing them to get them apart. 3 grown people couldn't catch them. Burt acted like king of the hill the rest of the day and the poor dog went home with scratches. I don't think she'll visit again! Being 17 didn't slow him down.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
di and bob di and bob ,
It seems to me that Pallina is feeling better than in tha last weeks, she looks even happier.
I should have thought about the meds earlier...

Ctas know no elder age :lol: They act like kittens all their life. Only a few weeks ago Pallina chased the neighbors' kitten down to their house. She darted through a hedge and jumped over low fences no problem, and she was as fast as the 6 months old kitten :lol: