Crusty Black Boogers In Kittens Nose

allisonlovesanimals

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
On December 23rd, I got a 12 week (three months) old kitten. :) We got her from a shelter and she's a domestic short haired. I named her Sadie, and she's been doing pretty good ever since. She sneezes about two to four times a day though, and today I saw blackish coloring in her nose. I cleaned it with a wet cotton swab and it seemed like dried blood. Is this anything major or is it okay? This is my first cat, so I just want to make sure nothing is wrong with her. Thanks for taking your time to read this, I highly appreciate it!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi and welcome to you and Sadie! Has she been to a vet - other than the shelter? If not, she should be checked out by a vet and especially now with the possibly bloody nose discharge. This could be a lot of things, even an upper respiratory infection - so probably better to get her in to a vet and get her checked out ASAP.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

allisonlovesanimals

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She went to the vet a week ago just to get checked up. They said she was healthy. After that, she got a shot. She has also been on antibiotics since January fourth, and it was for any infections that she could have gotten.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for the information - glad to see she's been checked out by a vet. I would suggest you call the vet and tell them about the discharge and see if they think she should be seen again - my guess is yes. Check for any swelling, in case she had some sort of accident and injured her nose. But, even then, it would need to be looked at by a vet.

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Allison. Just curious, what makes you think that the boogers are dried blood and not just normal? I just ask because one of my cats has always had some dark crusties around her nose that I wipe every couple of days, like this: https://pics.livejournal.com/zombies_bite/pic/001f6zk1 . It's just dirt and build-up.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As far as I know, most cats - unless they are outdoors at least some of the time - don't have dirt/build-up like that. And, even, then, they would normally be cleaning/licking it off themselves.

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As far as I know, most cats - unless they are outdoors at least some of the time - don't have dirt/build-up like that. And, even, then, they would normally be cleaning/licking it off themselves.
I've been told it is normal by my vet. Happens more often in cats that get more earwax buildup as well.

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
The 2-4 sneezes a day also sounds alarming. Maybe allergic to something? Do you have carpeting?

allisonlovesanimals

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been told it is normal by my vet. Happens more often in cats that get more earwax buildup as well.
So should I be worried? My cat also has some earwax, but not much. Her nose was clear today.

allisonlovesanimals

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Allison. Just curious, what makes you think that the boogers are dried blood and not just normal? I just ask because one of my cats has always had some dark crusties around her nose that I wipe every couple of days, like this: https://pics.livejournal.com/zombies_bite/pic/001f6zk1 . It's just dirt and build-up.
In the picture you added, the small black ball in the left corner of the cats nose is very similar to what my cat had in her nose.

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So should I be worried? My cat also has some earwax, but not much. Her nose was clear today.
To be clear, I'm not a vet and haven't seen your cat so I don't know. If the crusty boogers is the only thing going on I personally wouldn't worry about it. You did mention sneezing though, which might be nothing or might be a symptom of something like a URI or herpes. Is she eating and drinking well? Playful and full of energy? Using the litter box ok? Here is another thread on crusty boogers: Black Crust Around My White Kitttens Nose

If she is otherwise OK I would wait and see. Honestly I think it is probably nothing to worry about, but it is good to know what to watch out for in case it is an early symptom of something else :)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
All of what you have described could be allergy related, or other respiratory issues. Don't go crazy with worry yet. Good about her nose being clear today! You could always call the vet and explain what all you have noticed (sneezing, ear wax, nose junk), just to see if they think it warrants a vet visit - or what they think you should watch out for.

The only reason I am being overly cautious is because of her young age. She is much more susceptible to problems due to a still-developing immune system.

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
In the picture you added, the small black ball in the left corner of the cats nose is very similar to what my cat had in her nose.
The owner of the cat in the photo posted about the cat on another site. A vet looked at her cat and concluded that it was just oxidized boogers and perfectly normal :) Hopefully that sets your mind at ease.

allisonlovesanimals

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
To be clear, I'm not a vet and haven't seen your cat so I don't know. If the crusty boogers is the only thing going on I personally wouldn't worry about it. You did mention sneezing though, which might be nothing or might be a symptom of something like a URI or herpes. Is she eating and drinking well? Playful and full of energy? Using the litter box ok? Here is another thread on crusty boogers: Black Crust Around My White Kitttens Nose

If she is otherwise OK I would wait and see. Honestly I think it is probably nothing to worry about, but it is good to know what to watch out for in case it is an early symptom of something else :)
She's always playful and uses the litterbox very well! Her eating and drinking are also fine.

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My kittens, especially the boy, often had some minor dark boogers on their noses when they were smaller. They'd sneeze once in a while, but I think it was from playing in the litter/exploring dusty places. They were given clean bills of health and eventually it became less and less common to see the crusties.