Black Crust Around My White Kitttens Nose

Erickins

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
12BA704C-F89C-41DD-9924-3AFF601E3D59.jpeg
56CF2806-0D2D-4BC2-8495-E53CD6BB1B4F.jpeg
So just the past couple days I just noticed that there is some blackish crust around my kittens nose as you can see in the photos above. She has a pink nose and it is very noticeable. When she was a very tiny kitten I’m talking about 5weeks or so, she had a mild case of a URI but nothing since and she is now 3.5mo old. Has anybody experienced this before neither of my other two cats have anything like it. Then I start googling things and that’s the worse thing because the time I was done I had convinced myself that she is dying. Lol.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Does she eat dry food. It looks like powder off the kibble. If she sticks her nose right in the bowl it might stick to the damp around the inside of her nose.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont know. i have a white cat, and have never seen this on her nose. maybe she has a cold, or stuck her nose in something, hard to tell. can you tell how far up it goes, will she let you wipe her nose with a wet cloth? Im afraid im a worry wort, if i wasn't sure i would probably do a vet visit.

She is a pretty little thing :)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Might just be dried boogers :lol: You can use a damp tissue to remove the crusty boogers.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It looks to me like she has been having a little nasal discharge which is not uncommon and you shouldn't panic about it unless there is also stuff like: difficulty breathing or raspy breathing, lethargy, loss of appetite, sitting hunched, 3rd eyelid showing, ears being hot due to fever.

If you see any of those other signs take her to the vet asap

Theconnartist

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It looks to me like she has been having a little nasal discharge which is not uncommon and you shouldn't panic about it unless there is also stuff like: difficulty breathing or raspy breathing, lethargy, loss of appetite, sitting hunched, 3rd eyelid showing, ears being hot due to fever.

If you see any of those other signs take her to the vet asap
What are all those symtoms a sign of?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, DON"T LOOK UP MEDICAL THINGS ON THE INTERNET! It all leads to fatal things it seems.
Your kitty is absolutely gorgeous, that black crust is from nasal discharge and teh bacteria in it is turning it black. It is so slight, it may be allergies or just a very mild respiratory infection. Just observe her and make sure she doesn't quit eating, or get worse, she'll most likely outgrow it, my little boy had the same thing and did!

marilynr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just now came across this thread - a year late! Hope it's not too late to chime in. P1020274.JPG One of my cats had a beautiful black nose surrounded with white fur. Over the past several years, the white fur around the nose has become discolored with black stuff that can sometimes be scraped off. Otherwise, it just looks dirty. P1020271.JPG The vet said it is just dry skin - no fungus or bacteria. Oliver uses metal bowls. He has been on Flovent since about 2005 - long time. Does anyone have any experience with this?View attachment 288653 View attachment 288653 P1020274.JPG
P1020274.JPG

yankeerose9973

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
View attachment 221251 View attachment 221250 So just the past couple days I just noticed that there is some blackish crust around my kittens nose as you can see in the photos above. She has a pink nose and it is very noticeable. When she was a very tiny kitten I’m talking about 5weeks or so, she had a mild case of a URI but nothing since and she is now 3.5mo old. Has anybody experienced this before neither of my other two cats have anything like it. Then I start googling things and that’s the worse thing because the time I was done I had convinced myself that she is dying. Lol.
I have 2 kittens that were from a feral outside. I took them in very young & bottle fed & all that other fun stuff at that age. They're now 13 weeks old. They've had that black around their nostrils since they were very little... long before they ate regular cat food. They have the Feline Herpes Virus, which is common with ferals. I don't think the Vet does anything except tell you to continue to wipe their little noses with a warm, wet towel.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I have had several cats that have had this. It is drainage, maybe from a very mild URI, or in older cats, even from allergies, and the reason it is black is because when the mucous hits the air, the bacteria in it turns black. I once had acat that someone dumped that had mouth cancer. The poor boy drooled all the time and when he cleaned himself the drool turned black. No wonder everyone chased him away, he was covered in a black substance, almost like tar, and was drooling! I cleaned him up and started him on Prednisone. The drool all but stopped and he lived another year. This is how i learned that.

Perpaccoco

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We literally have same kitten with the same eyes and everything. How is your cat now was that black boogers a sign to get worried ?? cause I have to clean his nose everyday
image.jpg

lambertsp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
And here I thought she was unique!! Different eyes AND the black stuff
IMG_20230429_121207175.jpg