mybabies

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

Thanks,
I will help you anyway I can.
Does the vet now why she willnot eat?
Earlier, before I adopted her, she was either kicked or hit by a car. She had a diaphragmatic hernia, a broken and badly mended rib, and adhesians in her intestines - not to mention stomititis. It may be that there is still something wrong inside of her that makes her not want to eat OR the fact she has no teeth.

She will look real good one minute and then real sick the next.

mybabies

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

That could be part of the problem.
My Coco has hardly any teeth but still wants dry food.
How old is your cat now?
Are her numbers going up?
I think she is about 11 or 12. Her numbers DID go up but then stablized. I am maxed out on my credit cards and my bills are so high but soon as i can she goes in for another bloodtest.

PS> I think part of her problem is she hates being fed as she finally realized this morning she had been fed earlier and was not going to be done again for a bit and she went out back and even climbed a ladder to look over the fence!

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Coco's Blood Test Results for Crf
Cocos numbers are better this time.
These are here numbers from Jan.
Her bun is 80 H
Crea 5.0 H
phos 8.0 H
Cal 14.6 H
and here are yesterdays.
bun 60.3 H
Crea 2.6 H
Phos 5.8
Cal 12.0 H
Total Protein 7.3
Albumin 3.4
Globulin 3.9
Her bp is 130
We are still waiting for the urine culture results.
She has a bloody discharge.
Wonderful improvement on Coco's bloodwork! I hope her UTI gets under control soon. My Zoe has the same problem, it is difficult to deal with.

How to you give the miralax? Do you do it daily? I need to ask Zoe's vet about this as she is starting to get some constipation issues.

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MyBabies

I think she is about 11 or 12. Her numbers DID go up but then stablized. I am maxed out on my credit cards and my bills are so high but soon as i can she goes in for another bloodtest.

PS> I think part of her problem is she hates being fed as she finally realized this morning she had been fed earlier and was not going to be done again for a bit and she went out back and even climbed a ladder to look over the fence!
This may be a really stupid question so please ignore if you have tried this long ago. Have you ever tried the appetite stimulant cyproheptadine? This should make her VERY hungry. My triaditis kitty often has to be given this because when the pancreatitis flares up he will just quite eating.

My vet has several CRF kitties that need to take it on a daily basis. So I know it is used to help stimulate appetite for them. Worth a shot to ask about it.

mybabies

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittymonsters

This may be a really stupid question so please ignore if you have tried this long ago. Have you ever tried the appetite stimulant cyproheptadine? This should make her VERY hungry. My triaditis kitty often has to be given this because when the pancreatitis flares up he will just quite eating.

My vet has several CRF kitties that need to take it on a daily basis. So I know it is used to help stimulate appetite for them. Worth a shot to ask about it.
Yes I tried it for a long time but it did no good so I had to learn how to syringe her.

It seems as though I knock down all your suggestions. I don't mean to and I DEARLY appreciate the help you are giving me. You are a very special person.

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MyBabies

It seems as though I knock down all your suggestions. I don't mean to and I DEARLY appreciate the help you are giving me. You are a very special person.
Oh no, don't feel like you are knocking down my suggestions! I don't feel that way at all. CRF is so complicated, what works for one doesn't for another. It is all trial and error.

I figured you must have already tried it, but wanted to put it out there just in case.

I feel so bad for you. My CRF kitty is the one who would most definitely NOT tolerate syringe feeding. It would be so horrible if she stopped eating because she would need a feeding tube or have to be PTS.

Maybe the Azodyl will be the key for you. I know it is in double blind clinical trials right now at CSU Vet School in Fort Collins. This is to give extra evidence to the research already completed on it. For some reason it works for CRF kitties. The probiotics in it are different bacteria than people probiotics.

mybabies

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittymonsters

Oh no, don't feel like you are knocking down my suggestions! I don't feel that way at all. CRF is so complicated, what works for one doesn't for another. It is all trial and error.

I figured you must have already tried it, but wanted to put it out there just in case.

I feel so bad for you. My CRF kitty is the one who would most definitely NOT tolerate syringe feeding. It would be so horrible if she stopped eating because she would need a feeding tube or have to be PTS.

Maybe the Azodyl will be the key for you. I know it is in double blind clinical trials right now at CSU Vet School in Fort Collins. This is to give extra evidence to the research already completed on it. For some reason it works for CRF kitties. The probiotics in it are different bacteria than people probiotics.
Well soon as I can afford it I am going to get her another blood test and see if things have changed. I DO know part of her problem is me feeding her and I "think" another is she can't tolorate a bunch of food at one time. If ONLY <sigh>she would not get upset with me feeding her several times a day.

She is such a love but is VERY DETERMINED and a REAL fighter.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My credit cards are maxed from the vet also.
I wish I could pay cash at the vets but we do not have the money.
I would be happy if I could find a job but there are none out here.
I am trying though.
It does add up treating a Crf cat.
I hope there is something you can try to help her.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use the Azodyl and wonder if that has helped Cocos numbers go down.
Kittymonster, How long has your cat had Uti's?
Coco has for over 2 years on and off.
We are still waiting for the results of the urine test.
The miralax I am giving every few days right now.
The vet said I may have to give it every day.
It seems alot of Crf cats get constipation.

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey Mews,

Zoe has had chronic cystitis since she was 6 months old. However she was under good control until the CRF. In the last two years, she gets a really bad UTI every 4-6 months.

Zoe can't take Baytril, so she has to take Zenquin. I can always tell when she is starting to get a UTI because Izzy will start beating her up.

I am very curious about the Azodyl. I know it can't hurt, but reports are that it helps tremendously. Zoe's last bloodwork had her Creatinine back up to 3.8. However, we just made an 800 mile move and the cats have been really stressed. I am hoping her next draw shows things have normalized again.

Do you sprinkle the Azodyl on Coco's food or will she take the capsules? I was reading the capsules are pretty big and some cats have difficulty with them.

Also, have you noticed a difference in the amount Coco vomits since you started the Azodyl?

Zoe definitely needs the miralax. Depsite fluids everyday she gets really constipated. Poor thing.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I give Coco the whole pill.
It does not work right if you sprinkle it in food.
It also is not suppose to be taken with food.
Before Coco started taking it her numbers did not go down.
The capsules are huge.
I drop it as far back as I can in Cocos mouth.
Sometimes she will spit it out.
The Azodlyl I am going to give twice a day now.
If your cat is on antibiotics you have to wait 2 hours after you give the antibiotic before you can give it t her.
Do you think the urine infections caused your cats CRF?
When Coco kept getting her infections the vet said we have to stop it from going into her kidneys.
She would be on antibiotics 6-8 weeks then 2 months later the infection would be back.
She has been on baytril since Jan but she had slight blood last wee so I am waiting for the culture to come back.
I have not been giving Coco the Pepcid A/C as much since she has been on the Azodyl. She still does throw up sometimes.
I hope you cats blood test will be better next time.
My Coco still has high calcium we need to get down.
The vet is waiting for the results of the urine test before we decide what to do.
What is your cat on?

gaia33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat, Wyld Chyld was only three when he died of CRF. He had been feral and didn't have enough nourishment as a kitten, and I also cleaned my floors with Pinesol--he loved it and would roll around on the floor and mop. I didn't know that Pine oil could cause kidney failure.

I haven't read all 38 pages of this thread, but I know how devastating this disease is. I also how closely it drew Wyld Chyld and me together.

One of the things I gave him that I feel really helped with his over all heath was Transfer Factor. In fact, I think that Transfer Factor is one of the best heath products around for all mammals! If I could afford it, I'd take it myself every day! Anyway, although WC was extremely ill from renal failure, the Transfer Factor really gave him a beautiful coat and kept his general health good.

Cats seem to like the taste of the "human" version of Transfer Factor best and because it is so concentrated I don't have to give as much as the "cat version". So I suggest you try the human version (it's pretty much all the same, just has different concentrations and tastes added).

Also, my vet told me a couple of weeks ago that new research has shown that a cat with higher values can be helped by taking one of the large capsules of Omega Fatty Acids (fish oil) once a day, so I am currently giving my 14 year old cat, Bastet, one a day....she loves the taste...yuck! lol

jizwood125

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
For those of you who are reading this thread for the first time...
my kitties ate recalled food and as a result, suffered kidney damage.
We have been trying to keep the kidney function that they have left without further loss.

Sadie was the one who suffered the most damage but....
I think that they are both doing much better.

Sadie had a full blood panel & UA this morning.
I should get her results by tomorrow afternoon.

Dexter has his labs tomorrow tomorrow morning with results on Wed. afternoon.

I am hoping that they are both doing better and will be able to live fairly normal lives.

All vibes & prayers greatly appreciated.
I will post their results here

mybabies

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Missy has now developed high blood pressure and is on a BP pill each day. She is also Anemic. She is on A vitamin B supplement with Iron. I was told she did not need Iron but I just am afraid not to give it to her. last blood test showed her numbers had decreased due to the fluids BUt the BP pill can make them go back up.

I have to wait for a while to get another blood test so all I can do is Pray and enjoy every day she feels good.

jizwood125

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank You so much Pat I guess the fear factor was the numbers. To look at her you would not know that she did not feel good chasing DA BIRD all over even last night, she never once tried to run from me or scratch me or anything when I tried to give her the antibiotics, water or a little food really to no avail because she would vomit it right back up.
Will there be prescriptons she will have to have? I'm hoping the flushing of the kidneys I guess could help a slight amount, I just can't stop thinking of her there feeling like I forgot her, I know it was best to let them do whatever they needed to and thats what I told her whatever you need to do, I know I will drive everyone crazy including everyone here and also the Vets office, you can only take in so much at a time, I will make a list of things to ask her also.
I hope Cammie has the fight in her and I will meet her time and a half as long as I know she is doing OK, but I have to find out all the other stuff tomorrow and I wish that were here already unless they want to do something else, I lost a cat 3 months after my first DH who was my sole mate kitty but Cammie has always been my cat and my cat only so she will let me do anything to her she never fights me. I hope its not as bad when all put together. I Love all of my babies and they know I do.
This has not been a good year for my Family and Friends so far its been very stressful, lost a Nephew who was 43 to Diabetes last month, My daughter is dealing with possible Breast Cancer and my SIL just had a Heart attack last week, I hope theres a reward here. Plus DH been gone 2 months. Its hard to deal with all the emotions he knows I am the worst cry baby ever, he will be home on the 10th of this month. Thanks again !!! The people on this site are the best

mybabies

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With my Missy first time I gave her meds and fluids she got so sick I thought she was dying. THEN I started warming the fluids and being careful WHERE I gave them. THAT helped. She then developed a heart murmur and high Blood pressure and anemia.

I insisted on BP meds and (at least as of last time) her BP went down. Her anemia was not so bad either as she is on Vitamin B plus Iron. I have been told they do not need Iron but I just don't want to take a chance.

I find when I get the fluids the Correct temp (for her liking) she will just lay there after i pull out the needle and seems to even enjoy them. I get them about as warm as bath water and point the needle backwards so the lump goes well away from her neck.

I wish us both the Best of Luck!

myniemo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok, I am having a hard time trying to find a healthy food for my 13 year old cat. Just got the blood work back and her BUN level is 34 & creatinine level is 2.3. My cat is now eating more wet food (Wellness) than dry food (California Natural). I have read though that Wellness is high in phosphorus. I printed out the list with low phosphorus foods, went to two pet stores yesterday (one specialty store & one that sells decent stuff along with the regular stuff) and had no luck finding any foods on the list (under the .7 mark). I have one more store to try tonight. Of course the vet wants to put her on the Science Diet kidney diet - but I do not feel comfortable feeding by-products and corn to my cat. Can you please list the specific foods that you are feeding your cat with this same condition as mine? Thanks!