CRF - Chronic Renal Failure:links and experiences with

dragonheart

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you, this thread is extremely helpful. I took my Zippy to the vet and his bloodwork came back yesterday--diagnosed with CRF. The vet's going to call us tomorrow to talk about the condition and possible treatments. Having so much information available is a major relief, as I've never had a cat with this condition before. Being able to research and see possible options laid out eases my mind, if only a little.

My other two cats passed on last year; I'm glad there is some hope for Zippy, at least.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DragonHeart

Thank you, this thread is extremely helpful. I took my Zippy to the vet and his bloodwork came back yesterday--diagnosed with CRF. The vet's going to call us tomorrow to talk about the condition and possible treatments. Having so much information available is a major relief, as I've never had a cat with this condition before. Being able to research and see possible options laid out eases my mind, if only a little.

My other two cats passed on last year; I'm glad there is some hope for Zippy, at least.
I am sorry, I know it's never easy to hear one of our cats has anything at all awry. I am delighted that this thread is helpful, it was important to me to share, as it has been for every person who has and still is, contributing to it, what I had learned with my kitties who had crf.

sflacat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This thread is an amazing resource.I wish I had it available when our cat Snowy
developed CRS.I strongly recommend every cat owner to read this as it contains
alot of great info.Learning to give sub-Q fluid on your own is no fun.I miss Snowy every day.
Jeff

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, we have a newly diagnosed elder kitty with crf. I was hoping to never have to deal with this again in one of my kitties.

Rachel will be started on Calcitriol, and I'll be giving her sub-q fluids daily, with a recheck of her rapidly changing numbers, in about 3 weeks. I very much hope we can slow the progression and improve some of her current numbers.

I am sad to see that the jm peerson food lists I depended on (as they were kept up to date) are gone...website not found

mybabies

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pat

Unfortunately, we have a newly diagnosed elder kitty with crf. I was hoping to never have to deal with this again in one of my kitties.

Rachel will be started on Calcitriol, and I'll be giving her sub-q fluids daily, with a recheck of her rapidly changing numbers, in about 3 weeks. I very much hope we can slow the progression and improve some of her current numbers.

I am sad to see that the jm peerson food lists I depended on (as they were kept up to date) are gone...website not found
PLEASE join one or both of these groups:

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/feline-crf-info/

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/Feline-CRF-Support/

and VISIT and BOOKMARK these sites that are a GODSEND to CRf kitty owners:

http://felinecrf.org/index.htm

http://www.felinecrf.com

http://vet.osu.edu/1442.htm

THEY - especially the 2 groups will help you better than your Vet - I SWEAR!

I wish you and your baby the BEST OF LUCK!

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Heidi, I am familiar with all of those..I began this thread
As I said, I had hoped to never deal with this again, knowing all to well the ups and downs of crf.

mybabies

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pat

Thanks Heidi, I am familiar with all of those..I began this thread
As I said, I had hoped to never deal with this again, knowing all to well the ups and downs of crf.
Well I STILL wish you luck! i have dealt with this twice already and my 6 year old is "thinking" of getting it!

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MyBabies

Well I STILL wish you luck! i have dealt with this twice already and my 6 year old is "thinking" of getting it!
Augh..tell her she's not allowed! Thank you for the wishes, I am going to do my best for this little girl (tiniest cat in the house..she's plump when she hits 7 lbs. lol).

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pat

Oh no Pat, not again.

I will be holding you and Rachel in my thoughts.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by xocats

Oh no Pat, not again.

I will be holding you and Rachel in my thoughts.
Thanks...it has been quiet for the past several months..it was nice!! lol. At least Lyra's cancer has shown no signs of recurring, and the longer it is since surgery, the better.

Misty has very early hyperthyroidism that we just found, and is on a compounded tapazole that I rub into her ear tip (she is NOT a cat one can pill!), and Rachel began having some incontinence..which is when we found the changing kidney values (and no infection...sigh).

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pat... I have 3 now with IBD ( of course three different triggers )

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Pat... I have 3 now with IBD ( of course three different triggers )
Ooooo...that's a challenge to say the least. But, they are lucky to be with someone who can handle it

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

mybabies

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found the new Royal Canin food to be good. Royal canin modified Lp (canned but not in pouches) and I think it comes in dry too.

It seems be be a better quality food than the others. ONE of the sites I posted earlier you can go to and put in for a cat and what condition and dry ro canned and get calories and phos levels.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

Have you tried Hi Tor?
Snickerdoodle sent me some of Boos food for Coco and she likes it.
Hi Tor Neo didn 't go over well with my past crf kitties, but I was going to order some..the online store I was going to buy from is out of stock at the moment. My research showed that a blend by Solid Gold has comparable numbers to the Hi Tor, so we will try that for now. I also want her to have some crunchies, and decided upon Royal Canin Mature 27.