Corona Virus Now Spreading

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I heard about the new $600 stimulus payment to most Americans. POTUS is right about one thing for once :eek3: : $600 a person is not enough during a pandemic, especially in areas with a high cost of living. A local NPR station wrote an article about how far $600 would go in the area: Here's What A $600 Stimulus Check Could Buy POTUS wants $2000, more than the $1200 payment the first time. That is a more reasonable amount but his own party is blocking that amount for whatever reason.t

I'm an essential worker but probably won't be allowed to get the vaccine until it's available to the general public.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I live on SSD and I think it's too low as well, but to me it sounds like a small fortune. Maybe we'll
get more at some point in time.

I found out there are about 352 cases in the city I live in :bawling:

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I just got to talk to my Dad! He may get to return home by the first week in the new year! The hospital he was in has a high recovery rate and it seems to have worked for him. Still weak but strong enough to talk again! Happy holiday to everyone!!
Whoa!!! Yayyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so glad your Dad is recovering.

Ohio is going to teachers and school employees after people in nursing homes, assisted living and group homes. They did hospital workers and EMTs first. They are saying they need to get 90% vaccinated. That is a lot of vaccine and a lot of people to agree to be vaccinated. I have read that measles also needs a 90% vaccination rate to achieve herd immunity, polio only needed 70%. That is why we are seeing measles outbreaks.

The thing that concerns me about leaving young healthy people for last is that young healthy people are the ones most responsible for spread.

Last edited:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I just got to talk to my Dad! He may get to return home by the first week in the new year! The hospital he was in has a high recovery rate and it seems to have worked for him. Still weak but strong enough to talk again! Happy holiday to everyone!!
That is awesome.. So glad to hear it... Merry Christmas... Happy Holidays to all!

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Experts have been saying this for a while! Yes, we didn't know for the first few months, but we figured it out by the beginning of this summer. I'm glad journalists are finally listening. It's frustrating because a lot of stores, companies, and schools have been putting a huge emphasis on these largely performative safety measures that don't do all that much and make more work for employees, when tougher or more expensive decisions like limiting the number of people in an area and increasing ventilation.

Washing your hands before touching your face is still good advice. Otherwise I really only worry about how close I am to people in public and keeping my mask on.

Rhall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I didn't read the whole article but I agree. We know hot water and soap breaks the membrane. You are fine to do your regular cleaning. I would still wash hands when you can and use hand gel when in public places. I don't think it's necessary to wipe surfaces on groceries etc. If you have an infected person in your home, you may want to use the lysol wipes etc.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I never got into the whole disinfecting thing like many people. I did step up my cleaning some as well as the handwashing and using hand sanitizer. I am in the habit now so I will continue. I never got into the wiping down grocery bags never saw the reason for that.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I quit wiping my groceries after the first time I did it, while doing it, I just laughed at myself and told myself to get a grip, I felt ridiculous. I never really thought that transmission thru contact with non high touch surfaces was an issue as the viral load necessary to infect someone in that way is near impossible...I continue to wash my hands, but that's just good hygiene anyway.
I do consider high touch surfaces an issue though, but we are still in cold and flu season. I don't continuously wipe mine at home, especially when no one's sick but I avoid touching things like door knobs with my bare hands at work, I always use the towel I dried my hands with.....but I've always done this...even before Covid - people are gross. There was one time, we found poo on the toilet lid, sink, sink handle and wall after a client defiled our bathroom, all of which would have been contaminated by touching those surfaces with their hands....like seriously....what happened in there! (And this was before the TP shortage...so no excuse! LOL!)
I also only use hand sanitizer out of courtesy when I do my grocery shopping. There is usually someone standing at the door doing the count, so I feel like I have to.
For me it's always been trying to avoid close contact with actual people and keeping my mask on properly.

I hope my governing college sees this so we can re-implement some modalities at my work again. Some of the policies they mandated for us are way over the top and never made sense...it just makes work difficult and our services aren't as "nice" or effective.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do always wipe down the grocery cart, they have disinfectant and paper towels for that purpose. I then use hand sanitizer. There are all kinds of viruses around this time of the year and now that I am 64 I am a little more careful about trying to avoid them.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do always wipe down the grocery cart, they have disinfectant and paper towels for that purpose.
I will do that if it's an option, some stores aren't providing that anymore...just the sanitizer for our hands. I would much prefer to wipe down my cart rather than use their hand sanitizer.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad about the increased cleaning at businesses, and hope they keep that up. Not getting carried away, just regular cleaning and disinfecting. Tests before COVID showed that shopping carts were just infested with e.coli and fecal bacteria, so let's maybe hose them down with disinfectant more than once a year.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I am now using gloves when I wipe down the grocery cart. They do supply wipes and a spray along with regular towels. I choose to use the spray and the paper towels provided; to thoroughly wipe down my cart before I shop.

I throw those gloves away, and use the provided sanitizer, before going off to shop..

I am also double masking when I go out shopping.

At Rite Aid or Walgreens, I do not use a cart or basket. I hold my stuff in my arms.. My city has been a hot spot since the beginning, and only more increased now.. It is at the time when the Christmas surge is about to happen.. sigh..

Call me crazy, but it is Better to be safe..

I also take advantage of senior hours.. and use the local small stores more than the big grocery store, as much as I can. I may pay more, with limited items, but I feel safer. I have seen a ton of people not following social distancing and such.. masks under noses, etc..... gross...

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad about the increased cleaning at businesses, and hope they keep that up. Not getting carried away, just regular cleaning and disinfecting. Tests before COVID showed that shopping carts were just infested with e.coli and fecal bacteria, so let's maybe hose them down with disinfectant more than once a year.
I'm glad about some of the increased cleaning too, and I'm also glad that more people are taking care of their own hygiene practices as well. But, some of the stuff I've been told and also some of the stuff I have to do for work is a bit much.