Corona Virus Now Spreading

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
some of the stuff I've been told and also some of the stuff I have to do for work is a bit much.
Yeah, the last time I went for a haircut, the hair stylist had to spray down the chair and counter and then wait 10 minutes in between customers. That seems like overkill!

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, the last time I went for a haircut, the hair stylist had to spray down the chair and counter and then wait 10 minutes in between customers. That seems like overkill!
Thankfully our disinfectant only has a 5 minute "resting time". Some take longer than others to kill viruses and bacteria. Basically, our new "best practice" standards we have to follow are now like we are dealing with bodily fluids. We are NOT dealing with bodily fluids, never have, but rather than tailor disinfectant procedures to our practice setting, we just got lumped into the same as long term care and hospitals. Now don't get me wrong, we keep a very safe and clean environment, and have always gone above and beyond compared to other places I've gone/seen, but it's quite ridiculous now.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
The mutation found in the UK is here in Colorado, they are trying to figure out where the guy got it. It's way across town from me, Elbert County is way east. Let's hope it doesn't make things worse. *sigh*
This is however totally not a surprise to me; viruses mutate all the time. And there's been all this travel in the world even with advice to not travel.
The statement that the vaccine is "believed" to be effective still, hoping it is!

Colorado reports US's first case of COVID-19 variant initially found in UK

Last edited:

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just got tested today. Two members of my household showed symptoms and one got results back- positive, of course. I'm not really showing symptoms other than being super tired/more out of breath than usual. (Sorry if you've already discussed this symptom... I must have missed it.) However, last night I made cookies and went to try one and almost threw up. They tasted disgusting. Everybody else thought they tasted fine. I went to eat other food and the same taste was there. And the smell! Everything tastes and smels like dry cat food. (Don't worry, I don't make a habit of eating cat food. It just tastes like how cat food smells lol)
After doing some research, I found out that some people are developing warped senses of smell and taste like this due to covid. A friend had this, too. Nobody's really sure how long it lasts, but it seems to come and go. I had a burger today and it was fine, but those cookies (as well as other things) still absolutely reek. I'm afraid to eat anything because the taste is utterly revolting. I've felt nauseous a few times today due to this horrible scent. I really hope it goes away fast!😳

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Just got tested today. Two members of my household showed symptoms and one got results back- positive, of course. I'm not really showing symptoms other than being super tired/more out of breath than usual. (Sorry if you've already discussed this symptom... I must have missed it.) However, last night I made cookies and went to try one and almost threw up. They tasted disgusting. Everybody else thought they tasted fine. I went to eat other food and the same taste was there. And the smell! Everything tastes and smels like dry cat food. (Don't worry, I don't make a habit of eating cat food. It just tastes like how cat food smells lol)
After doing some research, I found out that some people are developing warped senses of smell and taste like this due to covid. A friend had this, too. Nobody's really sure how long it lasts, but it seems to come and go. I had a burger today and it was fine, but those cookies (as well as other things) still absolutely reek. I'm afraid to eat anything because the taste is utterly revolting. I've felt nauseous a few times today due to this horrible scent. I really hope it goes away fast!😳
Oh no! I do hope you recover soon!

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I hope you feel better soon! Take care of yourself!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I hope you have a quick recovery and feel normal again soon. 🤗

About the warped sense of smell/taste, I'd just read about that last week. Hope it doesn't last too long for you.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope that you feel better soon!

Two days ago I was going to the bathroom more than usual, not normal but not right, then I started to feel like something was coming on, felt warm but had no fever, then cool, a bit achy, a bit stuffy and strange and of course I thought "don't tell me I have this plague now!" but then I realized that every year just about around this time of year I get sick, and the weather here has been so crazy and a lot of mold from rain and melting snow and I felt somewhat better today so I doubt it. I was able to communicate with a doctor at my doctor's office via email who was covering my doctor who is on vacation, so I figured I'd run it by him and he said they are seeing many types of sickness right now and it didn't sound like I had the plague but watch for fever and cough and loss of taste and smell, but isn't it funny how the thought goes through our heads when we don't feel good now? Years past I would think "not this again" as like I said I've had it and others at work used to get it too, but now our minds are affected with the worry of this plague!

Feel better soon!!!

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
les26 les26 thank you! I hope you feel better, too!
I know! I always have allergies every year (I get a sore throat, runny/stuffy nose, etc) but this year everytime my allergies showed up I would get worried. Crazy! Im glad it doesn't seem to be ckvid for you though. Praying that you get better and stay covid-free!

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have seasonal allergies too. At this time of year, it's a sudden change in temperature, like going into very cold air conditioning on a hot summer day. Last Saturday, I sat here at the computer twice and got chilled due to the cold draft from the window. It was closed and locked, but it was so cold outside, cold air drifted down. The next day, I had full blown hay fever. Watery eyes and a nose running like a faucet. I've been dosing with antihistamines, and today it's much better. I worried about covid, but I had no chest congestion and no loss of taste or smell, but I still didn't dare tell my sons. They would have been all over my case about going to the ER.

My sister on the other hand is in a difficult position. She's in an assisted living residence in DC. Three of the staff have tested positive and four of the residents. They've all been in lockdown since last spring. Yesterday, she said two of the residents who were infected died, and one of them was just down the hall from her, and there is no sign of a vaccine. She may not be able to take it anyway because she is allergic to the flu shot, but I told her I read that she may be able to take it anyway. It's sad. She's very worried and has every right to be. There's not a lot I can do for her.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I have seasonal allergies too. At this time of year, it's a sudden change in temperature, like going into very cold air conditioning on a hot summer day. Last Saturday, I sat here at the computer twice and got chilled due to the cold draft from the window. It was closed and locked, but it was so cold outside, cold air drifted down. The next day, I had full blown hay fever. Watery eyes and a nose running like a faucet. I've been dosing with antihistamines, and today it's much better. I worried about covid, but I had no chest congestion and no loss of taste or smell, but I still didn't dare tell my sons. They would have been all over my case about going to the ER.

My sister on the other hand is in a difficult position. She's in an assisted living residence in DC. Three of the staff have tested positive and four of the residents. They've all been in lockdown since last spring. Yesterday, she said two of the residents who were infected died, and one of them was just down the hall from her, and there is no sign of a vaccine. She may not be able to take it anyway because she is allergic to the flu shot, but I told her I read that she may be able to take it anyway. It's sad. She's very worried and has every right to be. There's not a lot I can do for her.
It's a shame we all have to live with the mental stress of this whole thing, it is ALWAYS in the back of your mind and sometimes all the way in the front!! I agree that allergies are a big part of it, as strange as it sounds to have them in Winter, but we do, and like I said this weather here in PA. changes constantly, we had snow then lots of rain which melted the snow and caused flooding so we got water in the basement and until we can dry that out it has that awful moldy smell to it, then it is mild out whoops then it turns cold then back to seasonable and on and on and on......plus a woman that my wife works with has Covid so even more so the thought enters my head if I got it now too which I guess is normal, but the stress of worrying about it can wear you down more, ugh....

This is about the third day since I started to not feel right, but I feel better somewhat each day, no fever, the congestion is improving, no cough or chest congestion, I can still taste and smell so I guess I am okay, but it's still on my mind! 😕

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Prayers for her and the facility. We just had a severe outbreak at the LTCF I work at.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
It's a shame we all have to live with the mental stress of this whole thing, it is ALWAYS in the back of your mind and sometimes all the way in the front!! I agree that allergies are a big part of it, as strange as it sounds to have them in Winter, but we do, and like I said this weather here in PA. changes constantly, we had snow then lots of rain which melted the snow and caused flooding so we got water in the basement and until we can dry that out it has that awful moldy smell to it, then it is mild out whoops then it turns cold then back to seasonable and on and on and on......plus a woman that my wife works with has Covid so even more so the thought enters my head if I got it now too which I guess is normal, but the stress of worrying about it can wear you down more, ugh....

This is about the third day since I started to not feel right, but I feel better somewhat each day, no fever, the congestion is improving, no cough or chest congestion, I can still taste and smell so I guess I am okay, but it's still on my mind! 😕
Yes, it is extremely stressful and any cold, flu, sinus/URI can mimic they symptoms.