Corona Virus Now Spreading

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
they have been told, to just stay home, take tylenol, after 10 days of quarantine, go back to work.. no repeat Covid Test... no 14 days..
That seems to be what they're telling people now. They also very recently changed quarantine for exposure from 14 days to 10 days. Before they did that, my co-worker was mad because his kid's classmate tested positive, and he only had to stay out of school for 10 days but my co-worker's kid had to stay out for 14 days for exposure. . .it did seem kind of odd! But then we're all just learning as we go, this is a weird virus.

As for walks, that's really a good idea unless someone lives in a crowded city. Get some fresh air and sunshine, and you don't have to be near anybody.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Got an announcement that there is currently one case of Covid in here.. Do not know any more details, but now is the time for the Christmas Surge...

They are having another Covid Test Clinic on Thursday, (tomorrow)

We were also told that the first Covid Vaccine Clinic will be here on Jan 22...

More details to come..

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Los Angeles has started the beginnings of rationing care. EMTs have been told to ration oxygen use and to not transport anyone who probably isn't going to make it. The way it is now in most areas EMTs attempt to resusitate unless there is a DNR or it is obvious death and then transport if there are any signs of life, otherwise they pronounce. With children unless it is obvious death they always attempt to resusitate and transport.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our post holiday infection increase has started here already too. We had 6 cases reported yesterday, 3 the day before that...and a few more prior that I can't remember the numbers. They announced an "outbreak" at a retirement home as well as at a long term care facility. (keeping in mind that they declared an outbreak as soon as ONE resident tested positive at the retirement home, and ONE staff at the long term care home). So far no other infections have been reported from either.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Los Angeles has started the beginnings of rationing care. EMTs have been told to ration oxygen use and to not transport anyone who probably isn't going to make it. The way it is now in most areas EMTs attempt to resusitate unless there is a DNR or it is obvious death and then transport if there are any signs of life, otherwise they pronounce. With children unless it is obvious death they always attempt to resusitate and transport.
LA county has now issued an alert NOT to dial 911, unless it is absolutely necessary...
God Help Our Country.. this is sickening... I got sick to my stomach when I saw the announcement on the news...

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A friend of mine was sick all last week. She wouldn't get a covid test even though she had symptoms like not bring able to smell. She said she would wait until after the holidays to get tested at work for free. So she got tested two days ago at work. Her result? Positive. She says she's feeling better now than a week ago. She has to retest tomorrow. The BF, who lives with her, is also positive and sick.

My friend doesn't know how she got the virus. She tested negative on Dec. 16 and not again until 2 days ago. It had to have been after Dec. 22 because she was fine then when she gave me a ride home from work. She lives in a hot spot area so she probably got it from going to the supermarket or something.

I'm fine. I get tested at work every other day and all the results from the start of the holidays to today are negative.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
My friend doesn't know how she got the virus. She tested negative on Dec. 16 and not again until 2 days ago. It had to have been after Dec. 22 because she was fine then when she gave me a ride home from work. She lives in a hot spot area so she probably got it from going to the supermarket or something.
Was she in the company of a lot of people over the holidays?

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
God Help Our Country.. this is sickening... I got sick to my stomach when I saw the announcement on the news...
We'll get through it, Cindy. We must be extremely careful but think positively. The vaccines are here.,
don't go anywhere unless necessary. Taking a walk may be a good idea if there are not many people
around. :hugs:

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had an office meeting today where my boss said our university is going to look at whether or not they need to move everything online or do hybrid courses next semester, at the discretion of the professor. The argument being that many students (like vet med) can't do certain courses online.

I'm enrolled in a master's course next semester that is in-person because an online option wasn't available. I would love it if he decided to move it online though as I don't want to go into the university but I will if I need to.

Thankfully I work for research and research should be the last to be closed or furloughed. I'm terrified of being furloughed. I make peanuts at my job but at least I haven't lost it, which of course just makes me even more nervous to continue my graduate degree and leave for something else!

So far I am healthy but then I don't go anywhere or do anything so that's not surprising. I spent two weeks at my parents' farm for Christmas/New Years and did a lot of hiking with my dog. The three of us are our own bubble as I go there every weekend anyway. It was nice, though many people had gatherings anyway.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
LA county has now issued an alert NOT to dial 911, unless it is absolutely necessary...
I do medical billing for EMS including many of the large cities across the country. It has been pretty bad. They used to be able to move EMT's around to provide coverage but now the entire country is a hotspot. EMT's like nurses and doctors have also gotten sick with this. Most EMT's at least in urban areas are fit and at least aren't elderly, they have to pass the firefighter fitness standards. That isn't necessary true from smaller areas and they have gone to hotspots and weren't lucky.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I heard an announcement on the radio this morning that our city is now offering anti-body testing. It's by appointment only, but it seems anyone can go see if they have ever had it...well, if they still have anti-bodies to it anyway.
I was sick back in March, but they weren't doing testing then...I think I'm going to see if I can get the anti-body test. It hasn't been completely figured out how long people keep their anti-bodies, so I very well could test negative, even if I did have it back then, but I couldn't hurt...

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The variant in South Africa is worse then the one that everyone has been talking about that was first identified in the UK. It is not only more contagious but makes people sicker. The spike proteins have changed and the vaccine may not be as effective against it.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our lock down has been extended by 2 weeks. They are allowing schools in the north to be open though, so that's good. I feel it's not as restrictive as the first time around in March, but local small businesses are feeling the pinch, including my husband. He is allowed to be open because he services essential service businesses, but it's been slow lately. It usually is around this time of year though, so hopefully this is mostly just representation of the seasonality of the trade and things will pick back up in March as usual.