Corona Virus Now Spreading

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I took my Covid test as required at work today. 6 hours later the results were ready. The result just said "insufficient sample". I know I got the swab up far enough and swabbed it around several times in both nostrils. I'll have to take the test again tomorrow.
When I have it done, and the one time I did it myself; I had to count to 15 for each nostril. I kept rolling it around in each nostril...I kind of counted one second for one complete circle.

((hugs))
~~~~~~~~~~~~
My friend, who is now in Florida, called to see how I was doing. She told me 7 people we know, in Massachusetts, have come down with Covid within the past 2 days... Unbelievable.. The Thanksgiving surge is now here...

I really do not know why the Governor is not stepping aback at least one step. This is getting frightening.
It is just about time to order from Instacart... sigh... I want my fresh veggies and such.. These items are not reliable on Instacart.. sigh.. may just use the local Deli/produce store, and the limited store downstairs in the building.. sigh..

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nothing was different with my sampling technique so I don't know why the sample couldn't be processed :dunno: Maybe a fluke out of the hundreds of samples that are submitted and processed daily. I spent extra time today swabbing my nostrils today to ensure a good sample.

The governor announced a step back in the phased reopening plan today.

NPR has an article on masks and what type of material is most effective: Masks Work — But What Makes Them More Effective? The Latest On Layers, Filters And Particles

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Vaccines started in the UK today. Part of me is jealous that we'll be watching from the sidelines as Europe and the US are inoculated before us, but the other part of me recognizes that in comparison, our situation is not at all dire (even if the local media tries to make us think that way, we're at our worst wave yet and still only 600 in the whole country per day (total pop. 52 million)). Plus, if the results are good, we should get our vaccines sooner than planned. The government says they'll arrive in late February, but they wanted to hold off distribution until the latter half of the year to see what effects other countries experience. But with 3 months between the vaccines being available here and their general roll-out in the UK this week, I'm hopeful that we'll be COVID free by summer.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
I work part time at a nursing home and we have 27 residents with COVID-19 and I don't know how many employees. I'm seriously considering asking for a leave of absence since my job is not really essential and I am no longer comfortable being there.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just saw where a 104 year old WWII vet survived COVID. He had a birthday while he was in the hospital and they were rolling him out in a wheelchair and they had balloons and the staff was singing Happy Birthday.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I just saw where a 104 year old WWII vet survived COVID. He had a birthday while he was in the hospital and they were rolling him out in a wheelchair and they had balloons and the staff was singing Happy Birthday.
Wowza, that's amazing!!

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
I work part time at a nursing home and we have 27 residents with COVID-19 and I don't know how many employees. I'm seriously considering asking for a leave of absence since my job is not really essential and I am no longer comfortable being there.
I would as well. :hugs:

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
My helper was exposed and it was prolonged exposure. I spoke with her yesterday and she's
feeling ok for now. I also spoke with Jon from the agency and he said he was 99.99% certain
she will contract it. They have no one to send for back up. NE Ohio is in a crisis for home health
care aides.I'm doing what I can and decided to self-isolate since I found out on Monday.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
This month, Germany is going to start distributing 3 free certified N95 (FFP2) respirators to people over 60 and those with preconditions (with a doctor's note). As of January, those same groups will get 2 "forgery-proof" coupons - sent by their health insurers, the country has univeral, mandatory coverage - entitling them to buy 2x6 respirators at a greatly reduced price. They'll pay €2 ($2.29) for a set of 6 instead of the going price of around €18 ($20.57).

The people complaining about restrictions and claiming that SARS-CoV-2 is "no worse than the flu" should think about this:
Angela Merkel calls for stricter lockdown measures, and other news around the world.
...record numbers of people dying from the virus — as many in the first seven days of December as died in traffic accidents across the country in all of 2019, according to a report by Germany’s National Academy of Sciences

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I read a news article where the organizer of a Republican group for young adults claimed that the virus doesn't affect 99.9% of the population :rolleyes3: Then the person went on about face masks infringing on rights and the virus being a hoax and other nonsense.

My retest came back negative.

Last edited:

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
I read a news article where the organizer of a Republican group for young adults claimed that the virus doesn't affect 99.9% of the population :rolleyes3: Then there the person went on about face masks infringing on rights and the virus being a hoax and other nonsense.

Is this person insane????

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
This month, Germany is going to start distributing 3 free certified N95 (FFP2) respirators to people over 60 and those with preconditions (with a doctor's note). As of January, those same groups will get 2 "forgery-proof" coupons - sent by their health insurers, the country has univeral, mandatory coverage - entitling them to buy 2x6 respirators at a greatly reduced price. They'll pay €2 ($2.29) for a set of 6 instead of the going price of around €18 ($20.57).

The people complaining about restrictions and claiming that SARS-CoV-2 is "no worse than the flu" should think about this:
Angela Merkel calls for stricter lockdown measures, and other news around the world.
The health care in Germany sounds excellent.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
The health care in Germany sounds excellent.
It is. You get excellent and speedy care regardless of your income. Give me this form of socialized medicine any day. If I could give my family and friends in the US just one thing, it would be German health care. My American friends in Germany all say the same.

ZombieTiger

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I read a news article where the organizer of a Republican group for young adults claimed that the virus doesn't affect 99.9% of the population :rolleyes3: Then there the person went on about face masks infringing on rights and the virus being a hoax and other nonsense.

There seems to be quite a few people who believe this outside of the U.S. as well. Never mind that if everyone had cooperated from the get go and, we'd all be done with all this months ago and no one would have to "lose their rights". 🙄

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wearing a mask has nothing to do with rights IMO. It's all about limiting the spread of germs. I agree, if everyone wore a mask at the beginning, we most likely won't be in the situation we're in now and thousands of people wouldn't have died because of anti-maskers. I heard that the same group of people and now others are anti-covid vaccine. This is more of a topic for the thread in the IMO forum.

Another fun test to take later today :rolleyes: I always feel like sneezing really bad when I have the swab in my nostrils.

There's a middle aged woman I've seen on the bus a few times now who wears her mask on her chin and just slowly nacks on various things. She doesn't put the mask on while chewing. I think she just snacks so she doesn't have to wear a mask on the bus, which I should point out is crowded :bat: She probably wears the mask to get on the bus but then moves it to her chin. I only take the bus a couple stops so I'm no exposed to her germs for very long but it's still uncomfortable :paranoid: