Corona Virus Now Spreading

ZombieTiger

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's not so much about masks, it's more about being told. Some people will stay in a burning building out of spite.

I know governments aren't all made up of nice people, and governments all over the world have done some nasty things over the years. I get why people are paranoid and balk when "they" tell people to do something.

What I don't get is why people balk when "they" say: "Hey there, common folk. There's a nasty virus going around, we want as few persons as possible to contract it, please stay within your family, wash your hands, wear a mask when you go to the store, you'll only have to do this for a couple of months" and so on. I mean....when that shitty government actually gives you a warning for once, you'd think people would listen to it.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I read a news article where the organizer of a Republican group for young adults claimed that the virus doesn't affect 99.9% of the population
Crazy how Trump AND Giuliani AND Chris Christie all required a hospital stay and a half million dollars worth of a drug regimen the rest of us can't get, and Herman Cain died. How many Republican politicians are there? That all seems statistically unlikely if "99.9%" are unaffected.

I posted this in IMO but I suppose it's not too controversial:
130828080_3492660987480256_2022268578158254205_o.jpg

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday when I went to my midwife's appointment, I got to the hospital and was ready to go on the elevator and the lady who got out had her mask under her chin. In a hospital! Not everyone going into that building is going for prenatal care. I'm pretty sure there's an oncology suite and a gastrointestinal one and others. Even if I'm on the elevator alone I leave my mask on right.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday when I went to my midwife's appointment, I got to the hospital and was ready to go on the elevator and the lady who got out had her mask under her chin. In a hospital! Not everyone going into that building is going for prenatal care. I'm pretty sure there's an oncology suite and a gastrointestinal one and others. Even if I'm on the elevator alone I leave my mask on right.
I live in Senior Housing. You would not believe how many seniors are walking around with the mask underneath their nose!!! This is my biggest bugaboo.. It has been my entire work life.. I cannot stand it. It drives me crazy..

I cannot fight them all; but I tell as any as I can to pull the mask up; especially if I have to walk past them or they talk to me..

The other day, there was a aide in the laundry room, completely WITHOUT a mask. She took it off while doing laundry!!! I was livid.. I told her to put the mask on, it is required and so important, especially now... She should have know better... She put it back on...
Saw her today in there... It was beneath her chin!!!! OMG>.. I am almost ready to report her...
She is an AIDE... not even a resident.. She should know better.. She is not young.. in her 60's... so foolish... so irresponsible...

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On Facebook I liked the page of the military base in Japan that I grew up on. They post their COVID numbers daily. The prefecture the base is located on has about 1.3 million people, living in high density. They've had 248 COVID cases and 3 deaths. South Dakota has just under 900,000 people mostly living far apart, and we've had 89,000 cases and 1,177 deaths. The base captain says "the biggest COVID threat is that of behavioral non-compliance". I guess "behavioral non-compliance" should be SD's motto :/.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, we're (Medina county) 22 cases away from 7,000 and we've had one more death since yesterday.
It's so wrong. Why didn't we listen Ohio, when mandated to mask up???

There is a protest in Columbus on Saturday over the shooting of Casey Goodwin. I hope the [protesters
stay safe.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, we're (Medina county) 22 cases away from 7,000 and we've had one more death since yesterday.
It's so wrong. Why didn't we listen Ohio, when mandated to mask up???

There is a protest in Columbus on Saturday over the shooting of Casey Goodwin. I hope the [protesters
stay safe.
The Trump supporters are protesting in DC this weekend. I am sure they will not be wearing mask.

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This paper was really eye-opening for me.
20201211_155126.jpg

Person B went to a restaurant while they were asymptomatic and didn't know they were postive. Persons A and C later tested positive, and they know based on sequencing that they got it from B. A and B were 20 feet apart, they never walked near each other, and they were only in the restaurant at the same time for 5 minutes.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
We’ve been bordering on IMO territory here. Just a reminder this is the Cat Lounge. If you want to discuss the virus from a political viewpoint, please take it to the Cornovirus thread in IMO. :thumbsup:

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cousin sent me a photo of my 90 yo Trump-Loving grandfather wearing a mask (an American flag mask!) and like, if that old codger can put on a mask, literally everyone else should be able to.

Well, the health authorities predicted numbers would go up to 900-1000 a day here and they were right. We were over 900 cases nationwide for only the 2nd time during this whole pandemic. It's worse now because it is much more widespread, before it was basically contained to one city. Like always though, the numbers are not really indicative of what's happening right now. it's what happened a week ago, since each positive case puts like at least 20 people into self-isolation and those people will all have to test going in and out of isolation. A lot of big clusters are still nursing homes and churches (the churches have been breaking regulations)

We're at the second highest restrictions which don't make enough sense to me as it still allows people to dine in restaurants and shop in unrestricted numbers until 9pm. I'm kind of glad I've been basically adhering to this level of restriction since May, but also I'm angry because I used to intentionally go to the store after 10pm to avoid people. Well, we're scheduled to stay within these restrictions until Dec. 28th and they've cancelled all the new year's events so hopefully next week we'll start to see the numbers subside.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A lot of big clusters are still nursing homes and churches (the churches have been breaking regulations)
Nursing homes are still a problem but I think most in a lot of states anyway aren't allowing visitors. Staff are frequently tested and they are enforcing masks for all the staff and as many residents as possible. It's hard on the residents but there really isn't an alternative. When it does get into a nursing home the death rate is so much higher then when the general population.

The big driver here in the U.S. are private gatherings. They keep doing partial shutdowns but they don't make much difference because they don't address the biggest driver of this now.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
The big driver here in the U.S. are private gatherings. They keep doing partial shutdowns but they don't make much difference because they don't address the biggest driver of this now.
Nicole and Larry are dining at a restaurant with another couple. This couple is not in their
bubble. The ex-mother-in-law of the woman they're dining with had COVID19 and new
wife also has it.Ex mother-in-law died, from what they think was a heart attack, not COVID19.
This was recently. Woman went to her funeral. I am very surprised Nicole is going but she's
eaten there every year for her birthday for the past 8 years or so.
Spread Eagle Tavern Restaurant & Inn Hanoverton Ohio - Spread Eagle Tavern & Inn - Hanoverton, Ohio

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Nursing homes are still a problem but I think most in a lot of states anyway aren't allowing visitors. Staff are frequently tested and they are enforcing masks for all the staff and as many residents as possible. It's hard on the residents but there really isn't an alternative.
There isn't; it's a horribly dangerous situation. A friend is a nurse at a German nursing home that's allowing no visitors, tests all staff and residents twice a week, and requires N95 respirators for staff at all times, and for residents outside their rooms. As careful as they're being, one of her co-workers felt ill Thursday evening - after getting a negative result on a rapid test Thursday morning. He got his PCR test result this morning. He's positive, so everybody is under quarantine.

Partial shutdowns don't work. Germany has had a "lockdown light"" since the beginning of November. This past week it has had record numbers of new infections and deaths. Now we're going into full lockdown mode. The details are being worked out. The experts say private gatherings are the main driver now.

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It is similar here. If it was just churches and nursing homes, we'd be able to contain things, but people think it's safe to meet their parents/aunts/school alumni/etc. and as soon as they feel comfortable, the masks come off. Added to that issue is that outside of Seoul I've heard mask usage was less comprehensive anyway, so now there's cases in basically every city where before it had mostly just been the capitol area. A dance school had about 300 related cases, and a couple of public bathhouses have had a few hundred come out too.

I have still been going to my drum practice room, but I keep my mask on and there's usually not many people there -5 today- (and I've been taking my sticks with me instead of leaving them in my cubby). My lessons are cancelled though since my teacher runs a different school where he teaches kids, so the education ministry clamped down on him...I haven't met anyone socially in a few weeks.

Went to the store to get Puar's food earlier and I wish I hadn't. It's Saturday evening and everyone was there with all of their kids and grandparents in tow. Closing the stores early clearly hasn't helped. They should institute the rule that other countries did where only one person from a family is allowed to go into the store. I don't know what parents are thinking. Their kids are out of school and after school programs for a reason, but they let them run around touching everything at the store...(-_____-)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I spotted small containers of Clorox disinfectant wipes at the supermarket today along side the store brand wipes. I have plenty of wipes at the moment. Paper products are still in stock. Plenty of hand soap and sanitizers and travel packs of wipes of all brands, too.

I bought two travel sized containers of Bye Bye Germs sanitizer. They were 10/$10. The larger pump bottle was 2/$3. Has anyone used this brand or heard of it? The supermarket has plenty of this brand in stock.

Google shows smaller bottles and spray bottle version as well and hand soaps.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hadn't seen that one. There are so many different brands of hand sanitizer now. The store I go to usually have the GermX but only in the quart bottles without a pump but that is what I use. I have some off brand in my stash along with my other disinfectants. I still rarely see Purell in the store, they have it in the office. I think Purell is mainly supplying health care facilities and businesses.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think there was also a spike when schools reopened. Especially hybrid where the kids ate who knows where on their off days, in conjunction with private gatherings and the mostly asymptomatic kids are spreading it there. School boards are denying it's happening in schools, but if restaurants are closed or at 25% capacity because of spread, how is 70+ kids in a cafeteria safer?