Corona Virus Now Spreading

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't understand it, but you can not do curbside on the website and have to use the app. I've only used it a few times, but they were super fast!
A trick to get you to download their app, I suppose.

Whats the difference between medical grade disposable masks and the other ones? They look/feel the same as the ones the ICU handed us when my aunt was in there.

Is there a phone number for Target? I do TSC store pickup and usually go inside (it's never crowded), but if you call them they'll bring it out.
I didn't think of trying that. It's too late anyway, and since I needed to stop by the registry desk to get my free baby gear, I was okay with going inside until I saw just how crowded it was.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whats the difference between medical grade disposable masks and the other ones?
The ones deemed medical grade have been tested and approved by the ASTM (American Society of Testing and Materials), at least that is the standard we follow here in Canada. Here is a link that explains medical masks pretty well.
ASTM Mask Protection Standards - Surgical & Procedure Masks | PRIMED

There are "non-approved" masks that are OK, but then there are some that are not....the only way to know is if they have been tested and stamped as approved. There are some that even say right on the box "not for medical use" but are still OK, at least for the general public...I'm thinking it's a liability thing.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah that's what I figured---they're basically the same, but they won't certify them to avoid liability.
But keep in mind...some are labelled for non medical use as they only filter larger particles, so would not pass even if tested. Some masks are made with only 2 layers and some are made with 3. Some have a better effectiveness when dealing with moisture....there are many variables so I wouldn't put a blanket statement that it's ONLY about liability. SOME won't under the testing, but others simply wouldn't pass.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One thing thing I should mention, as I think I misspoke. There is a difference between "medical" and "approved for medical use".
Medical masks, (at least here in Canada) are basically the N95s or respirators that create a seal. Useless for the general public if they don't get them fitted. "Approved for medical use" do not create a seal and include surgical/procedural masks and can be effective at catching smaller particles and for moisture. If they are not for medical use, they do help but they are pretty much for dust and allergens...larger particles.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Whats the difference between medical grade disposable masks and the other ones? They look/feel the same as the ones the ICU handed us when my aunt was in there.
That's a great question, and my assumption would be FDA approved ones in the US. Someone had brought in some printed face masks from Amazon and now we can only use them at work if they are worn over another 'medical grade' mask - which in all honesty the box in my office states it is not medical grade. We are currently wearing N95's because we have a COVID 19 outbreak.

The important thing here is to not use those cheap cloth ones they are selling or non man made materials. Even bandanas are not recommended.

If you can wear 2 masks and make sure to use hand sanitizer and/or wash your hands you will likely be more protected.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Washing hands or using hand sanitizer when hand washing isn't possible is at least as important as the masks. I have to go into the office occasionally for a short time. I always take my disinfecting wipes and hand sanitizer in with me. I wipe down my area before I start and use the hand sanitizer a lot because of touching surfaces in common areas and I have no way to wash my hands. I know they say that surface contamination is not the big source of infection that they thought it was at the beginning but it can't hurt to continue with what I have been doing since this started.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Since yesterday we (Medina county) have passed over 6,000 cases with 9 more deaths
Death rate is now 63 I have been tracking since mid June when we had about 150 cases
then and about 20 deaths.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I live in Franklin County and we have basically went over the cliff with this stuff. We are over 60,000 cases with 900 on the last day reported, 680 deaths. Ohio will go over 500,000 cases sometime this week.

Ohio put itself on it's travel advisory list because of high positivity rate. The threshold is 15%.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in Franklin County and we have basically went over the cliff with this stuff. We are over 60,000 cases with 900 on the last day reported, 680 deaths. Ohio will go over 500,000 cases sometime this week.

Ohio put itself on it's travel advisory list because of high positivity rate. The threshold is 15%.
Do you think DeWine will lock us down? They have to do something

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There has been all this talk about masks 'protecting' you, they DO NOT PREVENT YOU FROM GETTING THE VIRUS. They help with asymptomatic people from spreading the flu. I hate seeing people think they are protected by wearing a mask. The virus is so small it will just settle into your eyes, or wait on your hands to be transferred to your nose or mouth. Some masks can prevent viruses, but they are medical grade and not readily available to the public. You are much better able to stop the virus by frequent hand washing, using sanitizers, and maintaining a distance from others. Remember to sanitize upon leaving a store, and also applying a little to your car door handles and steering wheel. This does not mean to not wear a mask, it prevents the transmission, so is a good thing. Also, all this testing is pretty meaningless if you think you are free of the virus and can go about visiting people and not wear a mask, you could contract it an hour after testing. For all you know you could be getting the virus from all those people in line. You could be positive and not shedding the virus yet. Or worse yet, test negative and the test was faulty. It does help in identifying asymptomatic carriers and people who need to quarantine, tracks the progress of the virus, but that is about all.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There has been all this talk about masks 'protecting' you, they DO NOT PREVENT YOU FROM GETTING THE VIRUS.
Some studies do show a certain level of protection for the wearer. As in, say, if someone is breathing right in your face and they're contagious, you aren't breathing in a full lungful of virus; it's slightly filtered. But, no, not full protection for the wearer. The saying is "I wear a mask to protect you, you wear a mask to protect me".

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Some masks can prevent viruses, but they are medical grade and not readily available to the public
While that was true in the spring, when there was a worldwide shortage of masks and other equipment and not even medical personnel could get proper PPE, it no longer holds universally. Most industrialized countries stepped up production of medical grade masks to make enough available for healthcare workers and the general public (albeit at a relatively steep price). Some countries even distribute N95 and other medical grade masks to their inhabitants. Unfortunately, there have been some so-called leaders who've failed to act.

As W Willowy pointed out, there have meanwhile been international studies proving that medical grade masks also protect the wearer, e.g., the infamous "hamster study". Claims to the contrary are outdated or mere excuses for not bothering to protect people by ensuring adequate supplies.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only problem is I have only seen cloth 'designer' masks on 99% of the people I see in stores, etc. Medical grade masks are expensive and hard to get. I wear a mak, because I agree, some protection is better than none, but I use a lot of sanitizers too, you can pick it up from really anything you touch.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
The only problem is I have only seen cloth 'designer' masks on 99% of the people I see in stores, etc. Medical grade masks are expensive and hard to get. I wear a mak, because I agree, some protection is better than none, but I use a lot of sanitizers too, you can pick it up from really anything you touch.
And that is part of the problem. Where I live most people don't wear masks in the stores they breath on our clothes, hair ... just have to act as defensively as possible.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
There has been all this talk about masks 'protecting' you, they DO NOT PREVENT YOU FROM GETTING THE VIRUS. They help with asymptomatic people from spreading the flu. I hate seeing people think they are protected by wearing a mask. The virus is so small it will just settle into your eyes, or wait on your hands to be transferred to your nose or mouth. Some masks can prevent viruses, but they are medical grade and not readily available to the public. You are much better able to stop the virus by frequent hand washing, using sanitizers, and maintaining a distance from others. Remember to sanitize upon leaving a store, and also applying a little to your car door handles and steering wheel. This does not mean to not wear a mask, it prevents the transmission, so is a good thing. Also, all this testing is pretty meaningless if you think you are free of the virus and can go about visiting people and not wear a mask, you could contract it an hour after testing. For all you know you could be getting the virus from all those people in line. You could be positive and not shedding the virus yet. Or worse yet, test negative and the test was faulty. It does help in identifying asymptomatic carriers and people who need to quarantine, tracks the progress of the virus, but that is about all.
All of this is true, but we have to protect ourselves as much as possible. Thanks for the reminder about steering wheel etc.. I used to do that back in the spring and have just been doing my hands and debit card.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband had a spinal tap sent to a Kansas City lab for testing and when it got there IT WAS EMPTY! Good thing it was West Nile and not Ebola!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I took my Covid test as required at work today. 6 hours later the results were ready. The result just said "insufficient sample". I know I got the swab up far enough and swabbed it around several times in both nostrils. I'll have to take the test again tomorrow.