Corona Virus Now Spreading

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my county, cases are the highest among those aged 40 to 69.
Same here. In my province (ON, Canada). Those in the 40 to 59 bracket are the highest at 30.2% infected and in second place for numbers are the 20-39ers at 23.4%. Those in the 60-79 bracket and over 80 bracket are pretty well tied at 21.8% and 22% respectively.
Those 19 and under are only 2.5% of those infected.
In Canada overall, 50-59 are at 17%, and 40-49 and over 80 are at 16%. I think the only reason overall the over 80 are just as high as the 40-49 bracket is because of outbreaks in the nursing homes though, it's not really their fault.
30-39 bracket are in third with 14% of infections.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know here there are a lot of volunteers both as part of an organized effort and people helping out elderly neighbors who are shopping for the elderly. The delivery is also contactless, they just leave it at the door.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I’m so lucky to live in a lovely retirement community with 900+ residents in two multi-story buildings and hundreds of cottages on more than 600 acres. We have four dining rooms from which to choose, but, of course, those have been closed for weeks now. Dining Services has pulled off an incredible feat and is delivering three meals a day to the apartments and one meal a day to the cottages. And the food is good. It really is a logistical marvel.

The meals are delivered by the young servers (high school and college age) who normally staff the dining rooms. So I don’t want to complain. But (and now she complains), I taped this sign over my doorbell because the doorbell scares the heck out of the kitties. Yet several times over the past few weeks, the kiddos put our meals by the front door...and ring the doorbell. Which they have to push through the sign. I’d love to snatch the door open and say, “Hi. Thank you for delivering our dinner. You guys are awesome. I have to ask, though, can you read that note I’ve taped over the doorbell??” Seriously, how successful will they be if they can’t read directions and are so unobservant? :doh:
C5198D18-D12C-4A74-B004-CA20F2FB688A.jpeg

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Tape a small cardboard or plastic box over the doorbell and put the sign on that?

Can the doorbell be replaced with one that chimes differently and won't scare the cats? If you move, just replace the doorbell with the original.Or just remove the doorbell chime completely and replace if you ever move. The button can still be pushed if people have an urge to do so.

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The government social distancing campaign formally ended yesterday here in Korea. We haven't had a locally transmitted case in Seoul for more than 2 weeks, and none in the country for a few days. The new cases are entirely people coming back from abroad, and they are quarantined upon arrival whether they have symptoms or not.

The bars, clubs, and music venues have started to reopen, but it's a little sad to see what didn't make it. One club that I know of closed, but they insisted it was because of noise complaints in the neighborhood and not due to Covid! A few places took the time off to remodel, so it'll be interesting to see what's changed. I went to a small show last Sunday and have another planned this Saturday. People are still 100% wearing masks in public and using lots of hand sanitizer.

Apparently, we're supposed to be able to start training for Gaelic football soon as the sports facilities are opening up, but honestly, we always take a break from mid-June to September (because it's like 35C with 90% humidity), so it seems fruitless at this point (ok ok I just don't want to run around in the hot weather every Sunday afternoon when there's no tournaments for us to prepare for anywayyy)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess the schools opened up in Montana, so now there's rumbles that maybe we should too. They'd better not. I know of several schools who took the opportunity to start remodeling already, so they wouldn't have anywhere to put the kids. You can't cancel school for the rest of the year and then just change your mind without consequences. But it does get rough for parents whose workplaces have opened up. I don't know what could be done. Day camps maybe?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They have this week's unemployment number, we are now at 33 million since the shutdowns began. Some state's unemployment is estimated at 25%. I am 64 and I don't remember unemployment that high.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most workers should be able to go back to their jobs, at least. Or find new ones that have popped up because of this whole situation.

Now that the state has "opened up" (despite never being closed down), they announced that they'll take unemployment away from anyone who refuses to go back to work because they're scared of the virus. So that'll be great if they're trying to protect a vulnerable family member :/. Nothing like having to choose between Grandma's life and losing your home.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
ah...here's the danger of re-opening, even here. A guy went to 3 night clubs Friday night (well, really Saturday morning, which totally negates the government's reason for shutting train service an hour earlier--everyone goes OUT on the last train, they don't go home on it...) and when he woke up Saturday he had diarrhea and high fever. Thankfully the dude went to a clinic and didn't just think he had a wicked hangover. He tested positive. The person he went to the clubs with also tested positive. The clubs he went to had hundreds of people in and out of them. I'm sure he wore a mask before entering the place, but probably took it off as soon as he got his first drink in his hands. I can't blame the guy though. They don't know where he got it from (which is worrying of course) and he didn't have symptoms Friday when he went out, so there's no way he could've known. Hopefully the fallout won't be too bad, and it could actually end up being a positive if it turns out he didn't spread the virus much in even such a crowded place.

I definitely think it's too early for the US to reopen, but here, it's like...we need to do it eventually, and we didn't have any confirmed cases in the city for such a long time.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Each state is doing this different. Yes I think some states are going to soon. Ohio's governor isn't even giving a possible date for dining in restaurants or hair salons so he isn't even to the point of considering bars and clubs. Right now it is what little manufacturing that didn't keep going because they were considered essential. Many retooled for things like swabs and PPE so that made them essential. Next week is non-essential retail but social distancing still has to be maintained and masks are strongly encouraged. He wanted to make them mandatory for being inside public areas but some people complained so he backed off that. I think a lot of stores will probably require them.

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
well...it was nice while it lasted. The government decided to "advise" bars and night clubs to close again for another month. The fallout from that one poor guy who went clubhopping last week might be big. I feel so bad for him too, because one of the clubs is a gay club and so he now also got outed to his co-workers (there aren't protections here, so not sure what life is going to be like for him when he comes back and his office re-opens...) This has been the fundamental problem here. In the interest of public health, it's nice to know extensive information so you can see if you came into contact with an infected person. In the interest of mental health, it's got to be so stressful to be considered "the one."

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The nursing homes are getting hit hard. So far all in Sioux Falls but I just learned that the home in my parents' town just got a positive test. The death rate is going up every day and it's almost all nursing home residents. So sad :frown:.