Corona Virus Now Spreading

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
My area is starting to open things like retail, hair salons, offices etc. are allowed with restrictions- reduced staff, limiting number of customers in the place, employees and customers wear masks, social distance, plexiglass shields for checkout workers, extensive cleaning, no services where a customer has to remove their mask, temperature and symptom checks at entrance for some places, etc.-
I have an eye doctor appt. next week.
Will see how this goes.

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We are starting to open up as well. Things will be done in phases apparently, with two weeks between each phase, but no clear guidance other than time as to what else will trigger the next phase.

Our vet is still doing curbside pickups for appointments, and I need to schedule Friday's yearly exam. I also need to ask about my dog's leg - I think he will need surgery but I'm not sure if the vet school is doing those operations right now.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There were probably civilians during WWII complaining about rationing and all, but without the easy access of internet and social media, there probably weren't as many calls for protests. Or maybe we're just more selfish now and don't want to do things to help our fellow humans, idk.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There were probably civilians during WWII complaining about rationing and all, but without the easy access of internet and social media, there probably weren't as many calls for protests. Or maybe we're just more selfish now and don't want to do things to help our fellow humans, idk.
I think the propaganda made it clear that if someone complained, or was hoarding, they were essentially helping the Nazis.

As for me, I absolutely hate wearing my mask. It's extremely uncomfortable, and I occasionally feel like I'm not getting enough air. But I'm mature enough to realize that my comfort isn't important here. When you live in a society, what you do affects others. I will happily mask if it means fewer people get sick.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the propaganda made it clear that if someone complained, or was hoarding, they were essentially helping the Nazis.

As for me, I absolutely hate wearing my mask. It's extremely uncomfortable, and I occasionally feel like I'm not getting enough air. But I'm mature enough to realize that my comfort isn't important here. When you live in a society, what you do affects others. I will happily mask if it means fewer people get sick.
Yeah, I don't mask if I'm taking a walk outside, but I do when I'm at the grocery store and will be wearing one all day when the movers are here. It was weird the first couple times I wore it, but I've gotten used to it and want to do my part to keep myself and others safe.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Roy Horn just died of this. He tested positive on April 28. He would have been in the vulnerable group because of his age and the permanent disabilities resulting from the attack by one of his tigers during a performance. I remember he had multiple strokes while he was recovering from that attack.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pence's press secretary tested positive. And he's had regular contact with her. They say Trump and Pence will be tested daily now, but I'm not sure what good that will do. Early intervention doesn't seem to make much difference with this virus.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I wear my mask and gloves even in my back yard. First because of the cats (minus Shaman who abandoned me :( ) and also because of my allergies. While I know that we can't get the virus from pets I know we can give it to them and I worry enough about them as it is let alone this. I also have gloves and mask that I wear when I'm upstairs with Mom since I am doing all the shopping. I just don't want to be a carrier to anyone human or animal.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I heard this and thought it was interesting. Reasearch is suggesting that low levels/deficiency of vitamin D plays a role with mortality rates related to covid.
There are several articles..this is just one of them.

Vitamin D appears to play role in COVID-19 mortality rates

"Cytokine storm can severely damage lungs and lead to acute respiratory distress syndrome and death in patients," Daneshkhah said. "This is what seems to kill a majority of COVID-19 patients, not the destruction of the lungs by the virus itself. It is the complications from the misdirected fire from the immune system."

"This is exactly where Backman believes vitamin D plays a major role. Not only does vitamin D enhance our innate immune systems, it also prevents our immune systems from becoming dangerously overactive. This means that having healthy levels of vitamin D could protect patients against severe complications, including death, from COVID-19.

"Our analysis shows that it might be as high as cutting the mortality rate in half," Backman said. "It will not prevent a patient from contracting the virus, but it may reduce complications and prevent death in those who are infected."

Backman said this correlation might help explain the many mysteries surrounding COVID-19, such as why children are less likely to die. Children do not yet have a fully developed acquired immune system, which is the immune system's second line of defense and more likely to overreact."

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have heard that from a few sources as well. Not that Vitamin D is a 'cure', one doctor emphasized that. He said if you have symptoms call your doctor and don't take massive doses of vitamin D. He said Vitamin D plays a part in the immune system and a vast majority of Americans are at least mildly deficient in D. We used to get the majority of D from the sun but with sunscreens and blocks we are no longer getting it so we need to be getting it through a supplement.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We used to get the majority of D from the sun but with sunscreens and blocks we are no longer getting it so we need to be getting it through a supplement.
Also, the sun just doesn't work in some places. My mom was a mail carrier (now retired). She was outside about 6 hours a day, during the sun's strongest hours. She is very white. She wore short sleeves, no hat, and no sunscreen during the summer. And she went to the doctor for a checkup, they ran blood tests, and told her she was extremely vitamin D deficient :dunno: . I suppose Northerners ought to eat animal livers like the Natives did, because we aren't getting it from the sun, that's for sure. Anyway, rambling, go take your vitamin D supplement :D.

Yeah, it seems the White House is becoming a real hotbed for the virus. It was inevitable, really; no different than any other workplace that's still open. I honestly don't know what's going to happen there.

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yup, you can be vitamin D deficient even with hours of sun exposure and eating vitamin D fortified foods. I had my vitamin D levels tested once. Normal is around 25 to 50 ng/ml. I tested at 9 :eek3: I took prescription vitamin D pills (OTC ones wouldn't help) for awhile and got retested. My level went up to a more number.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, the prescription vitamin D softgels my mom got were like 1 million iu or something like that. It seemed crazy, but I guess they want to get those levels up quickly.