Corona Virus Now Spreading

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
do you know if the hospital can force people to stay in the hospital?

i know its silly, but i wouldnt want to be away from my cats for two weeks. hopefully nothing happens and i dont get infected. :) i just worry.
I don't know about the US but it seems in Canada, that unless you need the hospital for treatment because you're that sick, they are making people self quarantine at home.

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Went to Costco today and we were very annoyed there were no more eggs. We naturally go through a lot of eggs every week. But people have been stocking up. Everyone was getting cases of water as well. Yet there were still plenty of jerky and granola type of things.
It's so interesting to hear what people are stocking up on. In Asia, you can't get masks anywhere, but there's no shortage of supplies. Could go to the convenience store on the corner and get water, toilet paper, etc. And we're in the thick of it!

Here, if you test positive but only show mild symptoms, you are being kept in home quarantine. If you have medium symptoms, I believe they take you to a special facility (designated gov. building; community center, etc.) but not necessarily the hospital. The only people staying in the hospitals are the ones who really need it as there just aren't enough beds in quarantine wards for everyone. There was a situation the other day down in Daegu where a guy who tested positive and was told to self-isolate went out to get in the big line to buy masks...MAJOR FACE PALM. He ended up getting arrested.

My parents are in self-quarantine after returning from their vacation in Bali. They aren't sick, but my mom's work made her stay home anyway. They only went out early on Sunday morning to stock up on groceries for the 2 week period.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
The problem with me is that, I thought my chest was sore from sleeping mostly on my stomach. I can't lay for long on my back due to the kidney pain. I ignored it too long and allowed it to set up shop in my lungs. Now I am aware of how hard it is to heal from pneumonia. It deals quite a blow to your whole body. Pneumonia kills! I am 63 and soon to be 64 and I still fall back into thinking I am indestructable like I did in my younger days. PKD gives me a compromised immune system so I need to be more careful.
:alright::grouphug::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:🤒😷🤧:catrub::grouphug2::heartshape::hangin:

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
do you know if the hospital can force people to stay in the hospital?

i know its silly, but i wouldnt want to be away from my cats for two weeks. hopefully nothing happens and i dont get infected. :) i just worry.
I just heard on CNN that if you are infected, you should stay away from animals. First thing I thought of was my cats. I also read somewhere that cats can catch it from us. That's a scary thought. I wouldn't be able to take them to the vet.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I just heard on CNN that if you are infected, you should stay away from animals. First thing I thought of was my cats. I also read somewhere that cats can catch it from us. That's a scary thought. I wouldn't be able to take them to the vet.
Was this in a news story? I just read the opposite, that there has been a dog testing positive but not ill and that doesn’t mean the dog really has the virus.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think this is coming from a Pomeranian dog in Hong Kong testing positive for the virus that is infecting humans. They have the dog in quarantine. The consensus is that the dog 'had' the virus in the same way that an inanimate object 'has' the virus. The virus can survive on surfaces for a period of time. The quarantine is a precaution because there are still so many unknowns about this. There is a type of corona virus that infects cats but the virus that is affecting humans now is very close to a type that affects bats. That virus came to humans through another animal that is where the Pangolin came in, it is thought to have been the animal that it came through. MERS came through a camel. Swine Flu came from birds through pigs.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think this is coming from a Pomeranian dog in Hong Kong testing positive for the virus that is infecting humans. They have the dog in quarantine. The consensus is that the dog 'had' the virus in the same way that an inanimate object 'has' the virus. The virus can survive on surfaces for a period of time. The quarantine is a precaution because there are still so many unknowns about this. There is a type of corona virus that infects cats but the virus that is affecting humans now is very close to a type that affects bats. That virus came to humans through another animal that is where the Pangolin came in, it is thought to have been the animal that it came through. MERS came through a camel. Swine Flu came from birds through pigs.
Another reason why I'm glad my cats can be indoor.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Was this in a news story? I just read the opposite, that there has been a dog testing positive but not ill and that doesn’t mean the dog really has the virus.
It was Don Lemon interviewing an expert. I read about the cats on the internet; I don't know where. It's scary. If I went to the hospital, no one would want to come in the house to feed the cats.

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'd be really stuck then. I live alone with three indoor cats in a relatively small space. My nearest family live about an hour away.

If I were self isolating the cats would have to be shut out of the lounge andiinto one side of the house but I'd need to feed them and do their litter trays so avoiding interaction wouldn't be possible. Also they wouldn't understand why no petting / hugs. :(

If it came to having to be hospitalised I would have to rely on friends to come in and feed them but I'd be really stressed that they might get out. I have also previously used a pet sitter lady who was extremely good so she would be a possibility.

I think I would print out a sheet of care instructions and pin it somewhere really obvious, so that at least a bit of preparation is done. For me this would cover the fish and snake as well.

Don't think there are any cases in my county yet though.

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What is wrong with people?? A lad in London got beaten up by a bunch of absolute (insert very rude word here). Apparently one of them was shouting 'I don't want your coronavirus in my country!'

And how the hell is beating some poor bloke up going to help?

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is wrong with people?? A lad in London got beaten up by a bunch of absolute (insert very rude word here). Apparently one of them was shouting 'I don't want your coronavirus in my country!'

And how the hell is beating some poor bloke up going to help?

[/URL]
These scum are just using the virus as a excuse for there racism if it wasn't this it would be something else they'd use. Disgusting behaviour they need catching and locking up.

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When everyone thought that The year 2000 would bring an apocalypse the Red Cross told people to prepare as though it were a major snowstorm. So Minnesotans went out and cleared the shelves of beer and Doritos. Sort of a joke and sort of true. And they might get you through this too.
They forgot to mention the Wine!! ;)

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
People here in Australia are panic buying toilet paper.....no idea why, just mass stupidity not mass hysteria and all the shop shelves are empty.
At the office yesterday we were scanning through Ebay looking at Ad,s with people selling toilet paper..it was hilarious.

"1 Roll off toilet paper, unused $100.00"
"30 Rolls of toilet paper $100,000.00"
"Box of leaves..still green and soft $50.00"
"Slightly used toilet paper, seniors discount $1.00 a sheet"

And on and on..some people:lol:

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I took the last antibiotic on Saturday morning. I am calling doc when office opens at 8AM. The cough is coming back and my chest is sore like before but, it's only on right side this time. Lymph nodes are swollen too and sore. Pneumonia is a tough opponent!
Glad I have my buddy for company.
View attachment 324684
Hope you feel better soon