Corona Virus Now Spreading

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor Kirkland County, WA is in a hot mess. 25% of their Fire Department was quarantined on Sunday because
they had been in the nursing facility where 6 Corona Virus cases were confirmed; One of the six passed away from
it at EverGreenHealth Hospital. Let's send healing vibes and prayers their way.

2nd Death Near Seattle Adds to Signs Coronavirus Is Spreading in U.S.

GaryT

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am watching this virus closely as well. I lean towards it being a really bad flu this year and hope I can avoid it. And now having walking pneumonia compromises my immune system more than it already is due to PKD. Getting old ain't for the weak!

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I am watching this virus closely as well. I lean towards it being a really bad flu this year and hope I can avoid it. And now having walking pneumonia compromises my immune system more than it already is due to PKD. Getting old ain't for the weak!
PKD? What did doc say?

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tell me about it! And, by the bye, I'm older than you are. I'm starting to see the signs- "Caution; 80s ahead".

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
GaryT GaryT I am a strong believer in modern medicine. I also believe in certain herbal medicines. One of which is echinacea, to help strengthen the immune system. Remember when this was the hot, in, thing? If used like a daily vitamin it looses efficacy. It can only be taken for about 10 days, when needed. I believe the tincture (extract in alcohol) is better than the dried stuff in a capsule. Take 3X / day, a few drops in liquid - water, juice, etc. Does not interfere with antibiotics or other medicines. Available in health food stores and often in pharmacy vitamin section too.

I used it on Himself when he had walking pneumonia many years ago, and he recovered sooner than the doctor expected. I used it as a prophylactic for a few days each way when traveling to / from Japan a number of years ago, but not for the entire 2 week trip.

This is, of course, anecdotal information. But it has worked for us.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
An interesting article on the Washington outbreak

“Scientists not affiliated with the research said the results did not necessarily surprise them and pointed out that for many people — especially younger, healthier ones — the symptoms are not much worse than a flu or bad cold.

“We think that this has a pretty high rate of mild symptoms and can be asymptomatic. The symptoms are pretty non-specific and testing criteria has been pretty strict, so those combinations of factors means that it easily could have been circulating for a bit without us knowing,” said Justin Lessler, an associate professor of epidemiology at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health.”
Also, in the USA, the opportunities to proceed with testing will finally be increasing this week and from here on out (hopefully). As more specific testing is done for this virus and more results of the testing are known, it will "seem" as if the virus is exploding all over the place here. It may or may not indicate a true expansion of the virus until testing can be done on a very regular basis and more understanding about how the virus is being spread. That's my view anyway.

People are still being infected with the 'regular' flu virus(es), too. My father just got over a very serious case of the regular flu virus that he picked up at a family funeral service. He's much better now, thank goodness.

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
well, we got alert messages yesterday saying that there were no new cases to report in Seoul for the day. Kinda nice, even though the number in the country is rising due to all of the sect members having mandatory testing. I mean, Seoul is a city of over 10 million and to only have 90 cases (30 of which have already run their course), seems like we're doing ok.

They're delaying school another 2 weeks though, which is not great for our jobs as foreign English teachers (who are often seen as -understandably, i suppose - expendable)

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I ran into this today:

This doctor sounds extremely knowledgeable to me; I recommend that we all watch her video and follow her advice. (I should mention that some of the things she says are specific to America, but her advice is good no matter where you live.)

Margret

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Went to Costco today and we were very annoyed there were no more eggs. We naturally go through a lot of eggs every week. But people have been stocking up. Everyone was getting cases of water as well. Yet there were still plenty of jerky and granola type of things.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just heard on the news that there are third party sellers selling Purell hand sanitizer for $100 a bottle. They should be ashamed of themselves. I have never used it, I just step up the handwashing in the winter. I don't work in a direct customer service job though. I work from home about half of the time and I have my own area in the office. I do keep antiseptic wipes in the office and wipe down my area in the office at least once a week especially during flu season.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I was wondering how your grocery stores were doing. I've read that, in certain areas, grocery stores no longer have bottled water, canned goods, etc. We use a lot of bottled spring water because that's all the girls can drink; we don't give them our well water and haven't for years. Thankfully, our local store is still fine; we went for groceries yesterday. (And I do admit to doing a bit of stocking up: things like canned tuna, canned soups bc they were on sale more than anything, and some canned vegetables. A couple extra bottles of water that we'll put back. Nothing major though.)

There will always be those vultures who will do virtually anything to make a buck.

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We're on 51 cases now as of today in the UK. It was 39 yesterday so a little bit of a jump.

I work in a council public health team so I imagine things will be ramping up significantly - various plans were starting to take off last week when we were on less cases and we'd set an incident room to deal with enquiries at the start of Feb. (I am on leave this week so not in the office).

I see there is a confirmed case in Devon, one of the counties we share a border with.

I still don't understand why people are stockpiling bottled water though. Canned food I can understand but not water...

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We shop at the no-frills grocery stores, and even though there are no shortages- yet- prices have jumped quite a bit. Milk, for instance, has gone up over $1.50 a gallon in just a few days, and other staples are up as well.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We're on 51 cases now as of today in the UK. It was 39 yesterday so a little bit of a jump.

I work in a council public health team so I imagine things will be ramping up significantly - various plans were starting to take off last week when we were on less cases and we'd set an incident room to deal with enquiries at the start of Feb. (I am on leave this week so not in the office).

I see there is a confirmed case in Devon, one of the counties we share a border with.

I still don't understand why people are stockpiling bottled water though. Canned food I can understand but not water...
Hysteria and misinformation spread at least as fast as viruses do.

We're seeing panic buying of water in Orange County, California, too.