Corona Virus Now Spreading

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hospitals and doctors are wiping out supplies of an unproven coronavirus treatment

Doctors and hospitals have wiped out the supply of the antimalarial drug that may be effective against this. Doctors are prescribing it as a preventative and a treatment. This drug is also used to relieve inflammation from rheumatoid arthritis and lupus, it is also used to prevent organ damage in lupus patients. Patients who routinely use it can't get it now. Time to bring all drug manufacturing back to the U.S. This is one thing we need to be self sufficient in.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A Michaels kind of near me is hiring and they seem desperate because there were 20 different signs and posters indicating that they are looking for workers and which positions are available. The only problem is, I'd have to take more than 1 bus to get there and that makes me uneasy. I need a job badly but I don't want to risk the health and safety of myself and my mom/dad by going out frequently like that.
Totally understandable. I was tempted when someone posted jewel-Osco was hiring. I have plenty of time and would love the extra money... but then I realized how high risk that would be and decided not to. I live with 2 other people and did not want to increase their risk from working, too.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My hands are taking a beating from all this handwashing. The backs are starting to chap and getting a little sore. I am using Eucerin advanced repair hand cream for very dry skin. I know it is helping and they would be worse if I weren't using it. I still have to go into the office at least one day a week and the soap in public bathrooms really tear up hands. I might take my own soap in to use when I am in the office.

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The new cases are mostly imports and it's a little crazy to think that that many people got on flights and tested positive. I think that means it is much more prevalent than anyone realizes. Korea is testing all entrants at the airport now, so I think the new cases were caught before mixing with the public. People with symptoms are getting tested in one place while people without symptoms are also getting tested separately. We have had cases from people who traveled here from America, Canada, France, Spain, Italy, England, and the Philippines.

I went out to get coffee and food (on bike as it seems like the healthiest way to travel atm) and the market near me was packed. THe social distancing campaign the government advised ended last week so it's kind of like people already forgot. Everyone's still wearing masks, but they kind of act like that's an impenetrable shield. It was the first time I actually felt a bit worried. I think it's too early to not still be concerned.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Along with the guidelines provided for among humans, I am taking extra steps with my feral colony. We have 10 colonies in a one mile radius from me (all from that hoarding situation) so even though I wasn't overly concerned before, I am not as I don't want the cats carrying a virus to the other caretakers. They don't get this virus per se but I read that they can carry it and spread it. So I've been sanitizing their food bowls and dishes even more, and sanitizing the latex gloves with boiling hot water. Not sure if it really sanitizes but that's how Grandma did it in the 50s and 60s when she had nothing else. I even let the cats smell the gloves on my hand so they know that the gloves (bright red) won't hurt them. I know the cats are friendly to me and perhaps they also get along with the other caretakers in the area as they do make their rounds sometimes from colony to colony.

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, sudden update here. The PM "Strongly advised" against group gatherings. To make that announcement on a Saturday evening when everyone is already out seems kind of daft to me. That should have been a decision they made and announced yesterday! :doh:
(2nd LD) PM urges suspension of facilities vulnerable to virus infections for 15 days | Yonhap News Agency

edit: This is also extremely poor timing because major supermarkets here close every other Sunday (to allow smaller stores a bigger share of business) and guess what tomorrow is? Their off day. I don't anticipate a panic buy or anything as I think it was just a renewal of what's been happening the past couple of weeks, but like. Come on now!

Last edited:

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hospitals and doctors are wiping out supplies of an unproven coronavirus treatment

Doctors and hospitals have wiped out the supply of the antimalarial drug that may be effective against this. Doctors are prescribing it as a preventative and a treatment. This drug is also used to relieve inflammation from rheumatoid arthritis and lupus, it is also used to prevent organ damage in lupus patients. Patients who routinely use it can't get it now. Time to bring all drug manufacturing back to the U.S. This is one thing we need to be self sufficient in.
That is so sad. You would think doctors would know better. I'm sure most do, but I guess all it takes is a minority.

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went out to get coffee and food (on bike as it seems like the healthiest way to travel atm) and the market near me was packed. THe social distancing campaign the government advised ended last week so it's kind of like people already forgot. Everyone's still wearing masks, but they kind of act like that's an impenetrable shield. It was the first time I actually felt a bit worried. I think it's too early to not still be concerned.
Most experts are saying that a second wave of the virus is almost inevitable after social distancing is lifted. The early efforts to social distance and flatten the curve, however, are supposed to (hopefully) buy enough time for hospitals to prepare for the second wave.

You can't be too careful with this virus. Too many unknowns. Even South Korea, which has done very well, can't test every single person.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think most of them are desperately trying to save the health system from being overwhelmed. Germany is donating a large quantity to the FDA to continue their trials. We need to be making all medications in quantities large enough for our own population here in the States. It came out during this that most of our antibiotics are made in China. I found out a number of years ago that most of our Prednisolone is made in India, this is crazy.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
I hear them talking about possibly not testing people where the result would not impact the course of treatment. In a way, I can understand this. We do this with our pets (at least I do). My vet and I always discuss things through before testing and if nothing will be change as a result as far as treatment, we don't do the test. HOWEVER it's bad for the purpose of actually getting the numbers.

I suppose though, we have to wait until they actually make enough of these tests (which I have little faith in our government to actually do that at this point).

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure if anyone else has had this thought. Not to mention if this is even responsible or safe, considering it may take a long time for our health care systems to recover. But do you think this will be a start to a new Baby Boom, with every one self-isolating? Not from those who are sick, but from people saying home...you know, to pass the time?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not sure if anyone else has had this thought. Not to mention if this is even responsible or safe, considering it may take a long time for our health care systems to recover. But do you think this will be a start to a new Baby Boom, with every one self-isolating? Not from those who are sick, but from people saying home...you know, to pass the time?
There are already shirts. (It being a play on joke that the quarentine babies will be quarateens in 13 years).

1120.jpg

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Someone posted here or another thread about cleaning supplies appropriate, if sanitizing for the virus. Does someone have easy access to that and can repost or PM me? My mom is has an online order getting placed directly into her car from Walmart, but will be sanitizing everything once she brings it to her elderly friends house. I hope to make sure she brings over proper sanitation supplies as someone mentioned not all cleaners are helpful for the virus. Thank yoU!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hear them talking about possibly not testing people where the result would not impact the course of treatment. In a way, I can understand this. We do this with our pets (at least I do). My vet and I always discuss things through before testing and if nothing will be change as a result as far as treatment, we don't do the test. HOWEVER it's bad for the purpose of actually getting the numbers.

I suppose though, we have to wait until they actually make enough of these tests (which I have little faith in our government to actually do that at this point).
The doctors already using it are using it off label. There isn't anything illegal about it. We are out of it now so it is neither here nor there.