Corona Virus Now Spreading

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Illinois is about to announce in shelter in place. I don't know much about that but does that mean my feral cats in my back yard won't be able to eat if Missouri does this? I would hope we could go into our yards at least to dispose of garbage or we'll have a 2nd problem on our hands.
I am in California and we have a shelter in place order in effect. We are able to go outside freely. We can take out the trash, go to the grocery store, get gas, etc. Public playgrounds are closed but people can still walk around a park or around their neighborhood. They are asking people to still avoid each other if walking outside but they aren't saying it's a lockdown in your house thing.

It's more all the non-essential business are closed and don't go out if you don't have to.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know someone who was diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer that has spread just a few weeks ago (she was given 3-6 months without treatment). She was supposed to be starting treatment last week to see if they could extend her life any. But they cancelled her treatments too, it's not just vets. I know it's frustrating but maybe you can video call during the exam?
oh no, thats horrible. I'm stunned a doctor would do that, especially when its thier calling to heal people. How can they just abandon people that are struggling already with serious health issues? Can she check around for another doctor?

this has been a fear of mine when i saw places closing down. i know patients with the virus are a priority, but people with serious issues like cancer are important too. My mother passed from cancer and went through horrible pain. I cant even imagine having her alive in this moment, and not be able to take her to her doctor. :sigh:

No, I was able to get an appt on the day before the previously scheduled one.

Coco is terrified at the vet. I like to be there to reassure her. She likely won't be difficult to handle but will be terrified. But I would never use a vet that makes it standard practice to not let me to stay with my cat during an exam.
i would call and leave a message with the vet, let them know the issue. Let them know you are willing to wear a mask and do whatever else they request. Let the vet know that its a serious issue.
im sorry you are going through this. I understand the health of the vet and office staff is important, but precautions can be taken.

i've learned that it never hurts to ask, dont assume they will say no. And even if they say no, at least you tried. <3

Illinois is about to announce in shelter in place. I don't know much about that but does that mean my feral cats in my back yard won't be able to eat if Missouri does this? I would hope we could go into our yards at least to dispose of garbage or we'll have a 2nd problem on our hands.
what does an in shelter mean? that you need to stay inside? i think you can leave for essential things.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can go out in your yard as much as you want and drive around in your car. You just can't be close to other people or be in a crowd. My neighborhood has an activity going on for children that involves walking around the neighborhood and counting shamrocks or kittens in the windows. I'm not a mom, but if I were, I would take my kids to the playground when no one else is there and let them play on the equipment.

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm hoping that if my vet starts to shut things down that I can somehow get my dog's pain medications; he has arthritis and a partial CCL tear and is in a lot of pain that those meds help mitigate. And of course I dearly hope he doesn't completely tear his CCL during this time.

We have the first positive case in my county.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I am in California and we have a shelter in place order in effect. We are able to go outside freely. We can take out the trash, go to the grocery store, get gas, etc. Public playgrounds are closed but people can still walk around a park or around their neighborhood. They are asking people to still avoid each other if walking outside but they aren't saying it's a lockdown in your house thing.

It's more all the non-essential business are closed and don't go out if you don't have to.
Thank you. I wasn't quite sure what that totally entailed.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can go out in your yard as much as you want and drive around in your car. You just can't be close to other people or be in a crowd. My neighborhood has an activity going on for children that involves walking around the neighborhood and counting shamrocks or kittens in the windows. I'm not a mom, but if I were, I would take my kids to the playground when no one else is there and let them play on the equipment.
Going on a walk to the park is fine, but keep kids away from the playground equipment. You don't want multiple kids touching things and spreading virus that way.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet has these protocols in place:

"We thank you for continuing to entrust us with your cats' healthcare. As the current COVID-19 pandemic evolves we are committed to adapting our service model to minimize the risk to our collective public health, while still ensuring proper healthcare service to our patients.

In order to accomplish these goals, the following measures are effective immediately and will be implemented until further notice:

1. Appointments will be reserved only for those issues that are deemed medically necessary.

2. We will be utilizing a curb-side type service to all clients to help minimize person to person contact. These limited- contact appointments and services will help us to continue to provide medical care to your cat during this pandemic.

3. To further minimize contact, all financial transactions will be completed over the phone.

4. All appointments will begin with you, the client, calling us from your car when you arrive for your appointment. Please, do NOT enter the building. The receptionist will send a technician to come out to get your cat. Our doctor will examine your cat while you wait in your car. Then, the doctor or a technician will call you on your cell phone to discuss treatments or procedures with you. Our receptionist will take all payments over the phone for all appointments.

*If you, or any of your household members are showing any signs of illness, please, we kindly ask you to reschedule all nonessential appointments until the current crisis has passed. If the appointment is still necessary, please, make arrangements to have someone who is not ill bring your cat into the hospital.*

Thank you for your patience and understanding during this difficult time."
My mom called her vet, and they still want her to bring in Sunnie to get a blood test as he just finished his phase of not being able to sit with someone over 30 min. and take special matters to dispose of this waste, due to radio active treatment for his thyroid. I told my mom to ask if they will come get the carrier and bring it inside, and bring him back outside when done. It is only for bloodwork. She is considered "more at risk," but I'm sure the vet office will oblige.

Here is an excerpt from info provided from my towns post on facebook, although I've heard today they have started Sheltering in Place.

"It is likely that in the near future residents of the Chicagoland area or all of Illinois will be ordered to
shelter in place due to the climbing number of positive cases of COVID-19. This is not cause for panic . 'Sheltering in Place' means that individuals living in these communities are required to stay in their homes and are only permitted to leave for 'essential activities', which include those for health and safety, to obtain supplies for themselves or family members, to perform work that is related to essential activities or to care for a family member in another household. Grocery stores, medical facilities, and pharmacies would remain open. The intent of this serious measure is to ensure the largest number of people self-isolate to slow the expected spread of COVID-19 . If individuals are outside, they are required to comply with social distancing recommendations, listed here . Additionally, businesses in these communities have been ordered to cease operations, unless they are performing work functions from their homes and/or providing essential services related to essential activities listed above."

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm hoping that if my vet starts to shut things down that I can somehow get my dog's pain medications; he has arthritis and a partial CCL tear and is in a lot of pain that those meds help mitigate. And of course I dearly hope he doesn't completely tear his CCL during this time.

We have the first positive case in my county.
oh no, might be a good idea to call your vet, perhaps you can get enough to last you 90 days or something like that? perhaps emergency vet hospitals will stay home for emergencies? i heard some vet offices are closing, but are willing to take in emergencies. So if that happens to him (which i pray it doesnt happen) there should be places you can go. Call your vets office and ask about their plan through this if they will remain open, or take in emergencies. If theres a way to contact them if they close, etc.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
oh no, thats horrible. I'm stunned a doctor would do that, especially when its thier calling to heal people. How can they just abandon people that are struggling already with serious health issues? Can she check around for another doctor?
See it from the doctors side. Bring someone in who will catch it and die if exposed. Don't bring them in and maybe this will pass in time for her to get treatment.

It really sucks. Don't get me wrong. Without treatment she will be gone by the fall. But getting treatment right now will likely mean she is gone by the end of the month

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep. When I went shopping for mom I had home made wipes and took. Wiped down every package I got. I even had a pair of latex gloves (thanks to whoever mentioned that on here) and did the same thing. Wore the gloves while shopping and while gassing up the car. Mom had the 2nd pair of gloves at home and wiped again when I came home and then we sanitized the gloves. Extreme? Maybe. Maybe not but Mom is 96 years old so we don't want to take chances.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep. When I went shopping for mom I had home made wipes and took. Wiped down every package I got. I even had a pair of latex gloves (thanks to whoever mentioned that on here) and did the same thing. Wore the gloves while shopping and while gassing up the car. Mom had the 2nd pair of gloves at home and wiped again when I came home and then we sanitized the gloves. Extreme? Maybe. Maybe not but Mom is 96 years old so we don't want to take chances.
My mom, who is picking up groceries for her friend in her 80's, will be using a similar method. She is doing pickup, but wiping everything down after bringing it in and before putting things away. She also has disposable gloves she will be wearing. I don't think it is over reacting at this point, just being cautious.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
They were sold out of disposable gloves where I'm at but the latex works good. You can wash those and re use. The good side of all of this is that people who would normally be passing by throwing trash in our yard have been holed for a few weeks and I didn't need to go out picking up trash.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
From what I read about shelter in place orders that are in effect now Ohio is almost there already. The only thing left that would be closed would be prepared food delivery or pickup. All other nonessential businesses are closed already. Most people who do office work are now working from home. There are a few things that I still go into the office for, mainly to do correspondence that is mailed to patients. We do healthcare billing so I think that would be considered essential.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
From what I read about shelter in place orders that are in effect now Ohio is almost there already. The only thing left that would be closed would be prepared food delivery or pickup. All other nonessential businesses are closed already. Most people who do office work are now working from home. There are a few things that I still go into the office for, mainly to do correspondence that is mailed to patients. We do healthcare billing so I think that would be considered essential.
So if we get it here that means Mom will have to forgo her Saturday night McDonald's even a drive through.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
See it from the doctors side. Bring someone in who will catch it and die if exposed. Don't bring them in and maybe this will pass in time for her to get treatment.

It really sucks. Don't get me wrong. Without treatment she will be gone by the fall. But getting treatment right now will likely mean she is gone by the end of the month
:frown: i see what you mean, what an awful decision to have to make.

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well my sister and her family are self isolating for a minimum of 12 weeks,or as much as possible - she isn't even able to go out to the supermarket. She has lymphoma and is considered as high risk, so as a result her husband and two daughters also have to isolate. Husband is working from home and the schools are shut now. :( :(.although she did say her husband is still doing the food shopping so hoping like hell he does not come into contact with it....

We're now at the stage where pubs, clubs, cinemas, gyms, theatres etc etc will be closing down from tonight.

On a positive note....

Feel like I've won the lottery as I managed to get a loaf of bread earlier!!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
download.png

:D

‐‐--------------------------‐----------------------------------------------------

Now the mail carriers aren't supposed to have people sign for stuff, just sign it themselves with "C19", so that nobody is germing up the scanners. I think UPS is doing the same things because the UPS guy who drops parcels at the PO hasn't had me sign his scanner for a few days. That seems like a good idea.