Corona Virus Now Spreading

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hear them talking about possibly not testing people where the result would not impact the course of treatment. In a way, I can understand this. We do this with our pets (at least I do). My vet and I always discuss things through before testing and if nothing will be change as a result as far as treatment, we don't do the test. HOWEVER it's bad for the purpose of actually getting the numbers.

I suppose though, we have to wait until they actually make enough of these tests (which I have little faith in our government to actually do that at this point).
Testing is hugely important for more than just getting accurate numbers, especially because the asymptomatic phase of this virus is so contagious and it can last for so long. Testing would help us contain the virus. They were able to keep the first SARS outbreak contained because people were contagious when they got sick, not before. If we knew who was contagious immediately, things wouldn't have gotten this far, and it is absolutely a huge failure of the government that we don't have enough tests to do this.

The best criteria for who gets tested hasn't been decided on or adopted universally, so it varies from hospital to hospital and from day to day even. And that's really messing with our data too, because we can't draw conclusions about how the virus affects people in the US if the kind of patient that got tested for it isn't consistent. (So it's better to rely on data from places with widespread testing like China and South Korea, but that has limitations too because one country's demographics aren't always comparable to other countries in terms of things like smoking status, etc.)

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Geography professor Dr. Sutton at Western Illinois University is creating maps to help track the spread of the virus. Although, like molly mentioned, it is hard to know for sure actual numbers because there is extreme selectivity for who is being tested.

Both images posted yesterday, with the top one around lunchtime, and the second picture later in the day.

1584818792042.png

1584818814427.png

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd just like to add that the in the paper that Trump has been citing about hydroxychloroquine, they included data for 20 patients who received the treatment and all seemed to get better. But they left off 6 patients. 2 dropped out of the study willingly (one complained of nausea), but 4 were removed because they got worse, and 1 died. No proof either way until large scale studies are completed, but that certainly doesn't count out the possibility that the drug could actually make the virus worse in some patients.

PubPeer - Hydroxychloroquine and Azithromycin as a treatment of COVID-...

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd just like to add that the in the paper that Trump has been citing about hydroxychloroquine, they included data for 20 patients who received the treatment and all seemed to get better. But they left off 6 patients. 2 dropped out of the study willingly (one complained of nausea), but 4 were removed because they got worse, and 1 died. No proof either way until large scale studies are completed, but that certainly doesn't count out the possibility that the drug could actually make the virus worse in some patients.

PubPeer - Hydroxychloroquine and Azithromycin as a treatment of COVID-...
I cannot respond without saying something that would be deemed political. I can say that other medications are being tried including the blood pressure medication, Losartan. It is thought to prevent the virus from infiltrating and is being used in U of Minnesota trials for individuals exposed but not yet testing positive.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We're both self-isolating here - we're both key-workers but are in the at risk category so my mother and I are working from home for now until the pandemic dies down. Toffee and Fudge are loving having their two humans home at the same time!
So glad you are able to work from home. :heartshape: Stay safe and keep us updated. Yea for Toffee and Fudge! Pets around the world are probably rejoicing they get to see their humans even more!

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
This pandemic may sound the death knell for small-town newspapers, already struggling because of the changes in the way people get their news. My local paper this morning was as thin as a dime. The sports section is almost gone. There were no inserts and there were only TWO advertisements on the inside pages. Two. So no revenue, no way to pay reporters, printers, editors, layout staff, etc. Hardly anything to report on other than the virus and politics because everything is closed or closing.

I was in a Harry & David store this morning buying my week’s supply of fresh fruit (fabulous fruit and 15% off with AAA :)). They know me there because I’m a regular. The woman who rang up my purchases said they’ve cut back on everyone’s hours and she doesn’t know how long the store will stay open.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Widespread sampling of asymptomatic people across the U.S. at frequent intervals would be valuable for mapping the spread of the virus. It would be great if every person in the U.S. could be tested at frequent intervals but that isn't practical. It would be really good if that did happen because then it would be known which people needed to stay in their home and which would not have to be. Of course the people who were negative would have to continue practicing the frequent handwashing and sanitizing shopping carts before using them. The supermarket that I go to has an employee doing it now. I think they probably ran out of the wipes so they have an employee with a spray bottle of disinfectant doing it.

FDA authorizes first rapid, 'point of care' coronavirus test

The FDA has approved a rapid results point of care test. Results take 45 minutes, don't have to be sent to a centralized lab and is fully automated so requires no special training to run. It is supposed to be shipping next week.

Last edited:

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought this was really cool.

880 samples of the virus have been sequenced (out of the 300,000 identified) and their sequences have been tracked, for those who are interested in watching how the SARS-CoV-2 has mutated over time. This website specifically not give us a lot of information about how the virus functions when mutated, and keep in mind many of these mutations have zero effect, but it does help us track how the virus travels. If you color code by clade (as it should be when you click on the link), and hit play on the map below, you can watch the different versions of the virus appear and how they spread around the world. The top chart with a bunch of lines and dots show how closely related each of the strains (the dots) are to each other, and you can hover over to see where each strain was identified. You can also play around with the settings to see different things, but I thought this version was the easiest to understand.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom was watching the news, with the president speaking. In the background, there are four people standing practically shoulder to shoulder.. I'm like, mom, why are they standing so close to each other?? :eek: She responded, two of them are even doctors :crackup: :sigh:
I was thinking they all were standing too close too, tell your mom great minds think alike! :lol2:
Last Sunday bread shelves at Meijers
20200315_165748.jpg
20200315_165739.jpg
I thought I'd pick up a new thermometer since we can't figure out how to work our digital one and have been using a glass Mercury filled one from the olden days. Meijers shelves were bare
20200320_151602.jpg
20200320_151557.jpg

as were CVS and Walgreens. Picked up an instant read ear Rexall brand one for around $12 at Dollar General (and can work it) They also had TP & paper towels limited to 2 per person. We've had our first death here in town, there's been more in Chicago. Governor put entire State on stay-at-home, closed all non essential businesses. Exceptions are Vet offices, stores that sell food, health services and laundromats. Restaurants can still have pickup and can deliver. No more than 10 people can gather at a time and must stay 6 ft apart.
I was furloughed w\o pay last Tue but Gypsys dad is still working. Very scary since he is a cashier.
Stay safe stay strong and stay brave :grouphug2::grouphug::vibes:

Last edited:

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Geography professor Dr. Sutton at Western Illinois University is creating maps to help track the spread of the virus. Although, like molly mentioned, it is hard to know for sure actual numbers because there is extreme selectivity for who is being tested.

Both images posted yesterday, with the top one around lunchtime, and the second picture later in the day.

View attachment 327195

View attachment 327196
Every county in Illinois now has at least one case. Deaths in Chicago and Springfield

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I thought this was really cool.

880 samples of the virus have been sequenced (out of the 300,000 identified) and their sequences have been tracked, for those who are interested in watching how the SARS-CoV-2 has mutated over time. This website specifically not give us a lot of information about how the virus functions when mutated, and keep in mind many of these mutations have zero effect, but it does help us track how the virus travels. If you color code by clade (as it should be when you click on the link), and hit play on the map below, you can watch the different versions of the virus appear and how they spread around the world. The top chart with a bunch of lines and dots show how closely related each of the strains (the dots) are to each other, and you can hover over to see where each strain was identified. You can also play around with the settings to see different things, but I thought this version was the easiest to understand.
I think in time this will become one of the Corona Viruses that are endemic to humans. It will continue to mutate and as a species our immune system will recognize it. Many of our colds are caused by a Corona virus. The issue right now is that it made the jump from bats and it is not something endemic to humans and we are still very early in this cycle.

The same thing happened with the Spanish Flu. They were able to get a sample from victims buried in permafrost and it was very close to bird flu. It had made one small mutation which made it communicable among humans. This Corona virus initially was a 96% match for the one endemic in bats. The Spanish Flu didn't disappear, it continued to mutate and we as humans accommodated ourselves to it. The Spanish Flu's descendent is now one of the strains of seasonal flu.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, we have our 3rd case in my city. A woman who traveled internationally, including taking THREE flights to get home. One international flight, and two domestic flights....they are currently contacting all those on the three flights who sat near her to self-isolate.
It does not say if she presented with symptoms during her travel. But she traveled on the 10th and we only just found out last night (21st) that we have a new case, so I assume she did not have symptoms at the time of travel, probably within a couple of days upon returning...if you consider the wait time for getting results and how long it may have taken her to go get tested after getting sick.

You know...I have days where I'm like...we'll be fine...this too shall pass...but then I get these little internal freak outs once in a while thinking about China, Italy, Iran etc...and wonder...what if.
China has started to come out of this, and it took what...about 3 months? But poor Italy, doesn't seem like there will be an end and with several other countries with numbers climbing by the thousands...IDK...sorry, just venting.