Convenia side effects?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maryann118

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This note is to Sheryl and Stephanie.

Sheryl, thank you so much for alerting me to the protein issue. Olive already is on a high protein diet, eating mostly grain-free wet food. I supplement that with dry food called Orijen (a variation on the word origin), which my holistic vet says is the very best dry food on the market, as it's 80 percent protein. It's amazing what's in it, but it costs $35 for a five-pound bag. I have just one cat, so I'm willing to pay it.

And Stephanie, thank you for replying. I'm praying that Olive will begin to rebound once the active phase of the drug is over. That's something to hold onto. I needed to hear that.

We also found out through testing that Olive has a severe case of Bartonella. They rate it from 0 to 4 and she is a 4+. She needs to be on Zithromycin for it for a month, but I hesitate to give her any more drugs. I saw a holistic vet today who gave her some homeopathics, which she'll get for the next three days. He's hoping she'll improve by then and that we can start the Zithromycin, as the bartonella has caused a severe case of gingivitis in her gums.

The holistic vet also said that Olive may have reacted to the Convenia and vaccines because of this underlying bartonella infection. What angers me is that the couple who had her previously didn't take her to the vet for a simple checkup before adopting her out to me. Had they done that, the vet would have seen her gingivitis and ordered the bartonella test, as she's only two and a half (too young for teeth problems). She would have taken the oral antibiotic and all of these complications could have been avoided. She probably would not have developed the original sore that made me bring her to the vet in the first place.

It's amazing what can happen when people neglect their pets, even in a benign way.

Today is Day Nine and there is no change in Olive. She just sleeps and eats. She had an enema Friday (today is Sunday) and has not pooped yet, but she also hasn't been eating much. (I'm giving her all wet food with a lot of liquid in it, along with Miralax, 1/4 tsp twice a day to at least keep her stool soft.)  I'm finding that FortiFlora, a cat acidophilus, definitely spikes her appetite. It's like kitty seasoning and she goes nuts for it. For anyone with a cat with a poor appetite, this is the stuff to get. They sell it in vet offices, but it's MUCH cheaper on Amazon.

Olive has no interest in affection either. Has anyone else experienced that? I miss her so much. She used to sit on the couch with me every night for hours while I worked on my laptop, but even enticing her with treats doesn't work. She eats the treats, then goes back to bed. I guess she just wants to be alone, but I am heartbroken. Any stories out there of their cat's loving nature returning after they recovered?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You've got to let the med work its way out of her system.  She should return to "normal" once she's feeling better.  Have you been giving her the fluids?  That will sometimes make a kitty feel "full" and thus, their appetite will be off.  You can try feeding her some plain meat baby food, turkey or chicken, and add in a little bit of plain baby pedialyte to help keep her electrolytes in check.  Bonito flakes, found in the ethnic or Asian section of the store, can also entice a kitty to eat.  Warming up wet food sometimes helps, too. 

murphy3730

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Maryann,

HI,  I wanted to caution you about excessive protein as well..this can be hard on the kidneys.  A vet also told me that grain free can be hard on the kidneys as well.  The high protein diet can also bog their system down so that they cant eliminate toxins.  80% protein is not a normal level of protein for food....this may overload your cats system.    They need a good balance of protein usually about 30-50% in their diets is what dry food has for protein.  The wet food only has anywhere between 7-11% depending on the food.  I notice a difference in Zoie with different foods. 

My cat Zoie took almost a year to get back to herself after the convenia and dental surgery.  She is now playing and a happy loving cat again.  I know that they appreciate the affection even if they dont seem like it....persevere.

Lots of water is important to flush the toxins from their system. 

I wish you the best of luck

Murphy

star-18

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My new 6 month old kitten just had a Convenia injection last thursday..She was coughing when I got her 2 to 3 times a day.  Took her to a vet and he said she had an uri.  He told me he was going to give her a shot..I told him I would rather give her liguid meds so she would get used to me giving her meds if she needed them..He told me Convenia was good and it wouldnt overdose her system with antibiotics and it was what it said Con-venent..well her cough was worse and she wasnt eating her bowels got looser and when she coughs she looks like she is having a seizure and she didnt want to play just lay around..I called his office and he basically told me if she makes it she makes it, it must have been a virus, I ask him could he give her something else for the respiratory infection because you can hear the congestion in her little chest..He told me she cannot have anything else because this shot lasts for 2 weeks and stays in her system for 52 to 62 days...He didnt even suggest giving her pro-biotic to counter react what the reaction of the good bacteria being destroyed by the antibotic, I had some probiotic powder  at home and I got some pedialyte for babies when they get dehydrated and some canned cat food and started feeding her small meals 4-5 times a day. she is feeling better from being hydrated and the probiotics but she still has the upper respiratory infection..now I have to wait 2 weeks after her injection before she can get the right med to target her respiratory infection,..I am praying it hasnt went into pneumonia...The main use of Convenia is skin infections and abrasions it has caused more problems than benefits..I will never let a vet give any of my animals this injection ever again..It attack their system by taking away all bacteria and can keep doing it for 52 to 62 days.. I give her 1/2 teaspoon of pedialyte 2 to 3 times a day and 1/4 of packact of probiotic on her food twice a day, it has a good beefy smell and she eats her food then.. The other thing the injection is only to be used for a last resort and this was the vets first choice..the shot was expensive and that is probably why he gives it so freely..Please pray for my kitty she is a beautiful and sweet kitten..

maryann118

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Murphy, thank you so much. I suppose there are a lot of different opinions out there about nutrition, but I've done tons of research over the years about this. Cats are obligate carnivores, which means that in the wild and throughout their history, all they've ever eaten is 100 percent protein. When they make their kill, they eat the meat and organs, then chew on the bones and muscle, which keeps their teeth sparkling white. (Uncooked bones don't splinter like cooked ones do.) That's why you'll never see a lion or tiger with gingivitis or other dental issues. With the exception of maybe some cat grass, you will never see a cat in the wild eat wheat, soy, gluten, rice or any other grain.

There is now a whole "raw foods" industry, which sells frozen or freeze dried raw diets commercially. I was planning to switch Olive to raw foods before she got sick, but I was taking my time as in her old home, she was fed dry kibble only. When she arrived, her coat was like dry straw and her fur would fall out by the fistfuls. With a mostly wet grain-free diet (and high protein dry), her fur slowly became like bunny fur, and I hardly ever have to brush her now as her fur stopped falling out completely.

If you read up on holistic cat nutrition, you will read remarkable first-hand accounts of just SO many health problems clearing up once a cat was placed on a raw diet, and you can't get much more protein than that. Cats' kidneys are built to handle this.

Now all that said, I'm aware that maybe RIGHT NOW, a high protein diet might not be the greatest if this drug is being processed through her kidneys. But when I told the holistic vet on Friday what she was eating, he said that we should make no sudden changes right now. If you said your cats did better on a low-protein diet, perhaps I'll try that once she's through this acute phase. Has anyone else found this to be true, as well as Murphy?

It's hard to know what to do, because someone else here said that I SHOULD keep the protein up, as Convenia decreases red blood cells, and protein will replace that. I actually thought you said that Murphy, but maybe I'm remembering wrong. I appreciate you taking the time to respond and giving me food (no pun intended) for thought. :)

Mary Ann

maryann118

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Star-18, she should never have been given Convenia for an upper respiratory infection, as it's for skin infections ONLY. You're right. She needs a different antibiotic, and I think you should see a different vet immediately. Even if you start her on a low dose of a different antibiotic, you will be addressing the issue. I suppose you will have to weigh the risks of giving her an additional antibiotic, thus increasing the medicine load in her system right now, with how severe her upper respiratory infection is. More than anything, you need a second opinion ASAP!  If you can find a holistic vet, all the better, as he or she might have a treatment for the upper respiratory distress that is more natural. Please keep us posted as to what happens!

maryann118

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

You've got to let the med work its way out of her system.  She should return to "normal" once she's feeling better.  Have you been giving her the fluids?  That will sometimes make a kitty feel "full" and thus, their appetite will be off.  You can try feeding her some plain meat baby food, turkey or chicken, and add in a little bit of plain baby pedialyte to help keep her electrolytes in check.  Bonito flakes, found in the ethnic or Asian section of the store, can also entice a kitty to eat.  Warming up wet food sometimes helps, too. 
Stephanie, thank you so much for walking with me through all this. I truly appreciate it. I do have a bag of IV fluids here, which I'm supposed to give sub-Q, but I just didn't have the heart to stick Olive with another needle yesterday, as she had been at the vet four times in eight days, getting shots, blood tests and an enema (the poor thing!). So I gave her the day off completely, but my neighbor is coming up tonight to help me give her the fluids. In the meantime, though, I'm putting extra water in her wet food, and thanks to sprinkling FortiFlora on everything, she is indeed lapping it up. I will definitely get some baby pedialyte today...great idea.

How did you hydrate your babies when this happened? Via their food or with sub-Q fluids? (She's had two sub-Qs at the vet, the last one on Friday.)

Once again, though, Olive is not pooping, just like last week. She had an enema on Friday, and has not gone since, even though I'm giving her 1/4 tsp of Miralax twice a day. I've no idea why this is happening. She's not peeing much either, but Miralax draws fluids into the colon to soften the stool. (I'm giving her the Miralax with the vet's blessing. It's tasteless and has no side effects, like bloating or gas.)  She IS eating, but not a whole lot, so maybe that's it, although when she had her enema last week, the vet showed me how loaded her colon was. It was all very strange, like she just had no desire to go, despite it being fairly soft and wet.

Ugh...this is sheer hell. Just hell. I'm an overly sensitive person to begin with, so something like this sends me over the edge. I think I've lost five pounds in the past ten days.

Mary Ann

star-18

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your reply so quickly..I am going to call another vet Tuesday, they are closed on Monday a friend suggested him..After reading the side effects the poor kitty could also get an overload of fungus in her system..I would love to find a holistic vet.  I will keep posting her condition..

taracran72

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a cat, Male, 5 years old. He have been given a Convenia shot 3 times this year for an upper respiratory infection. It had worked just fine with no adverse reaction at all. There is no way I would of been able to give him any oral medication so I like that he gets the medicine he needs and I know that he is feeling better.

momofmaxwell

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Your baby is very lucky.Google Cerenia is it worth the risk?To have a kitty life long there will be times that you will have to medicate your baby.many compounding pharmacies will take a form of med & add a flavored liquid.No time like the present to learn to medicate.not all meds are injectable.In fact most aren't.No time like the present to learn.Buy empty gel caps & fill with water only & practice.Practice makes perfect & helps you & your kitty in the long run.Medications throughout their long lives will include meds.I'm glad your kitty does well with Convenia.Many haven't .And reading that blog I sent you people are still not have autopsies done like it asks.Why? Because it cost money.You notice vets aren't saying I'll give her/him this shot.But>>>>BTW some cats have died horrible deaths from it and there is NO antidote.Injection or meds you decide.I could never imagine a kitty dying from a med that say clavamox would have cured.Just awful:( C.Every pet owner IMO needs to learn to pill & syringe their babies for the future.

murphy3730

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
HI,  I am so sorry that your kitten is sick.  It sounds like you are taking the right steps to get him feeling better.

You can google Convenia FDA.gov.  Pfizer and Zoetis are the makers of the drug but they are not very helpful.

It is also in the chemotherapeudic drugs so watch him careful to make sure he doesn't become anemic

I obtained the insert from this drug and have read some of the research reports about it.  They have not been completely honest about its effects or the reactions that happened during the research...

Convenia stays in their system for 73 days.  The antibiotic stays in their system for 14 days.  It is only good for specific bacteria yes for skin infections and abscesses.

I started giving my female cat Purina pro plan or selects which has a good level of protein and omegas as well as vitamin E.  She is doing good now after the shot it took her almost a year though.

I will keep your little cat in my thoughts and prayers.

Best of luck

Murphy

maryann118

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Olive began to perk up last night (Day Ten since the injection). She sat on my lap, laid next to me for a long pet, even kicked around a toy briefly. Today she was MUCH brighter and just seemed more like herself.  I was overjoyed, but suddenly she seems to have lost her appetite completely.  I've tried everything in the arsenal...FortiFlora, tuna water, sprinkling treats on her food. It's weird.

The holistic vet called today to talk about her case a bit, and even he thought the lack of appetite was odd, especially since she seemed to be doing better energy-wise.

Just FYI, he gave her two homeopathic remedies (Nux and Thuja), and I also gave her a customized Bach Flower remedy last night (I consulted with a practitioner to create a formula for her), and an hour later she came alive. Not sure if these things were coincidence or if they really helped.

Anyway, my new worry is this lack of appetite! She'll take a few licks of something, then turn her nose up at it. She'll eat a bit of kibble, then walk away. Very strange.

I just gave her some subQ fluids that the vet gave me, but what a fiasco. I was able to do it with my old cat, but Olive is much younger and doesn't like getting stuck with needles! I was supposed to give her 100ml, but only got about 50ml into her. The vet said some fluids might stimulate her appetite. I tried doing it myself to avoid stressing her with another vet visit, but I think doing it at home stressed her more, as this is her safe space. Won't do that again.

Has anyone else experienced lack of appetite with Convenia? I did read somewhere that "inappetance" was a side effect. Anyone experience it, and if so, do you have any solutions? Thanks again! So appreciative of this board!

Mary Ann

murphy3730

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
After reading your post about Olive I thought I would respond.  My cat Felix did the same thing.  I think that as the medicine flows through the kidneys their system gets bogged down and or damaged.  I there is a way to flush out their system I think they would feel better.  Convenia takes such a toll on a cats body, they really need to quit giving this medication.  Convenia stays in their system for over 2 months even though the antibiotic only lasts for 14 days.

Here is what I know about Convenia:  It is a chemotherapeudic level of drug which means that it binds to the cells causing anemia.  The other thing I know about Convenia is that it is known to cause vomiting, lethargy, diarrhea, anoerexia, (loss of appetite).

Zoie my female cat did finally pull out of the convenia fog.  I started feeding her Purina 1 senior dry food and purina one smart blends or pro plan.  These have omegas, vitamin e, many other vitamins as well.  I catered to what she was willing to eat...eating something is better than giving her food that she wouldn't eat.  Purina has been one of the steady foods that she would eat.  If I switch to another food she wont eat. 

You and Olive are in my thoughts.

Murphy

momofmaxwell

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
HI MaryAnne.

I have a link for you to read about convenia.And for others out there that have had it or ever come to that situation hopefully of being given a "CHOICE".Is your kitty pooping & peeing.?As it causes diarrhea but also causes constipation.A constipatied kitty will sometimes  go off food as they are "full" But reading about all the symptoms convenia gives it sounds drug related.I hope your vet has some plans.After 24 hr of inappetance a choice of assist feeding must occur.The symptoms you describe are exactly what a nauseous kitty does.Seems interested.goes up to the bowl & a snif ,maybe a lick then walks away.i would talk to your vet & personally i have no experience with the natural products you are giving your kitty.I am not against them though but lacking in that dept.

Here is a long link:

http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrT...1502152//RK=0/RS=dS8HzAeoKzMrUu3SbAan2BiQ45s-

HTH honey.Have you tried babyfood chicken (no onions or garlic)Some will go for it.Roasted chicken?No you don't have to belong to FB to read this link.Keep us informed.Food is Life.C What was the original reason for the injection?What was wrong with your kitty?

maryann118

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Zoie my female cat did finally pull out of the convenia fog.  I started feeding her Purina 1 senior dry food and purina one smart blends or pro plan.  These have omegas, vitamin e, many other vitamins as well.  I catered to what she was willing to eat...eating something is better than giving her food that she wouldn't eat.  Purina has been one of the steady foods that she would eat.  If I switch to another food she wont eat. 
To Murphy and  MomofMaxwell,

Murphy, you're absolutely right. I need to go with what she'll eat right now. She IS eating her dry food somewhat, so I don't think she's in danger of me having to force feed her, but I will definitely call the vet tomorrow. I'm worried that she's not eating enough wet, as that's how she gets hydrated. She rarely drinks from her bowl as she eats almost exclusively a wet diet.

I was able to get 50ml of subQ fluids into her last night. The vet wanted me to get 100ml into her, but she ran halfway through. My neighbor didn't do such a great job of holding her. :)

I did have her checked for anemia, and thank God she's okay. Energy-wise she has really perked up, but this appetite situation has me worried. Friday will be Day 14, so I'm hoping all symptoms will start to completely fade at that point.

MomofMaxwell...Olive was given Convenia due to an allergic sore on her face. Other than that, she was perfectly healthy (although her bloodwork shows that she has a Bartonella infection, but that's another discussion for another thread. :))  As the drug is for skin issues, it was the right drug for the right problem, but she just had an awful reaction to it. In addition to the regular vet, I took Olive to a holistic vet, and he said her bloodwork shows that she's in a very allergic state in general, which could explain the Convenia reaction.

I'll call both vets I'm using tomorrow to ask about the inappetance issue. God willing, she'll pull through that, too. I'm going to try some baby food now and a little greek yogurt.

Thanks to all for your support and advice!

Mary Ann

momofmaxwell

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi MaryAnn.

You're right .Food is life now.I used to grind up crunchies & soak them in water.Maxwell would go for them  sometimes.You can't leave them out though.Only for about 20 minutes.Then chuck do not refrigerate.I used the 60ml syringe system for his subq as he was on it nightly 60mls lrs for megacolon.To hydrate his bowel.I also never used the 18 guage harpoons either I went with the terumo 21 guage ultra thin walled.Never a flinch.And just put the syringe in my heating pad.I once had 18 different flavors of canned food here to entice Maxwell.Plus people's food etc.Yes Convenia is for the skin so it's just too bad your baby had a reaction from it.I wonder what they used before they made convenia?They must have used something for the skin & face.Anyways good you are talking to your vets.The reason I asked about the natural products and me not knowing a thing other than seb & marshmallow root & corn silk is when you go into Drugs.com & look for meds that cannot be taken with Convenia it will list them.But it will not list anything natural.Some natural products although natural are still considered a med and I was worried that possibly something may be conflicting the other.But have no knowledge to give you as per natural & interactions with actual meds.Things you learn about say Seb & how it can stop the absorption of certain meds and should be given 1-2 hrs apart from each   other.Things like that I mean.But with Convenia it is in there & until 65 days or whatever it will remain.Fluids are a great idea as dehydration sets in so fast.Must find a stronger neighbor.LOL Keep us informed.Hugs to the babe.C.Gerbers stage 2 chicken has over 100 calories in that little jar.Is used highly in animal recovery ,eating disorders etc.No onions or garlic.HTH.Greek yogurt good idea too.:)

niferno

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I beg to differ with you on this.  Cats are obligate carnivores and only eat protein in the wild.  Grains and starches are detrimental to their systems and hard on kidneys and pancreas, etc.  They would do quite well eating mice and birds all the time.

momofmaxwell

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You can buy mice frozen in a 10lb bag if you'd like and they'd say yummy.And birds yes they really love them too.   When a cat won't eat & is sick.Which is the only reason they won't eat BTW.You assist.You take your kitty to your vet & get a diagnosis as to why your cat is anorexic.Then you go by his/her recommendations.

Last edited by a moderator:

maryann118

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Niferno -- I said the same thing a few posts back. For thousands of years, cats have been eating a protein-only diet, so that's how they're wired. As their ancestors were desert animals, their bodies are designed to extract fluid from their food. A cat will NEVER get as much water from a water dish or a fountain as she will from a can of cat food. The current saying goes, "The worst wet food is better than the best dry food.)  Just watch Jackson Galaxy on "My Cat From Hell," and check out his YouTube videos online.  He's a passionate advocate for a wet only diet, and once you've got that going, then raw.

Taracran72 -- I'm quite disturbed to hear that your vet gave your cat three rounds of Convenia for an upper respiratory infection. Convenia has a very limited use in that it's for skin infections ONLY. No wonder it didn't work and you were given three rounds.  I would highly recommend that you switch vets, as that person is completely misinformed about what Convenia does and doesn't treat. It sounds like he/she doesn't stay current with continuing education, which means if he was so completely wrong about Convenia, what else is he making errors about?

Seriously, giving your cat Convenia for anything other than skin issues is a HUGE MISTAKE.  Of course, as all of us here know, giving a cat Convenia for ANYTHING is a big mistake. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.