Convenia side effects?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pam hall1966

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I did get him to the er vet today! I had no idea we even had one but I found it and took him there first thing this morning! They first did a physical exam on him and found nothing to be wrong there so they went to bloodwork and found his liver enzymes were elevated. Everything else was perfectly within normal ranges. The TBIL was elevated and the ALT.

At first the dr seemed not very hopeful and said she wanted to do some more testing on him to rule out some other things but they consulted with me first about price and I told them to go ahead. She tested him negative for fiv and the kitty leukemia. She then wanted to do an ultrasound of the abdomen to look at his liver and pancreas and said everything looked great there. She then told me that she was becoming more and more hopeful of his situation as these possibilities were being eliminated. She said she would like to keep him in the kitty hospital for 3 days to give him fluids and flush him out and whatever is causing this, may just flush out of his system, she was pretty hopeful this will work since other things were negative.

She said the only things it could be from are:

1-he had gotten into something poisonous which he is strictly indoors and I only have 2 plants indoors and they are not poison. All of my cleaning supplies are in cabinets so there is NOTHING he could have gotten into.

2-could be pancreatitis which can be flushed out also

3-could be from the convenia shot messing with his liver. She is going to call the other clinic tomorrow morning where I took him the other day and he got his shot, she wants to find out more info about what all they done to him. 

4-fip, she doesnt think this is it but she says she is not ruling it out completely. She said he would be showing other symptoms of it and he is not right now.

She said he is a spitfire and does have alot of life in him and they had a hard time getting the blood they needed. I heard him screeching in the other room when they were doing it. So he will be there 3 days she said unless he does really well and starts eating and he may get to come home early.

This place where I took him was fantastic! The dr there was so thorough and took the time to explain every detail to me and to listen and to answer my questions, it was a very wonderful place. If he makes it through this, I will never take him anywhere else!  I was in the room while they did the ultrasound and when they were done they asked me if I wanted to visit with him before they took him and it was time for me to leave. I said yes and they handed him to me in a towel and I held him and he just looked up at me with those eyes as if to say, "mom, what's going on here? Help me". I rubbed his little forehead and he closed his eyes and he seemed so relaxed in that moment and I kept rubbing his face. I told him he would be alright and he would get to feeling better very soon and I would be back, he could be sure of that! They have visiting hours between 6-8 pm so I am going tomorrow to see him.

I sure hope this all works out alright, it has been a nightmare. I appreciate all the support I have been getting from everyone on here.

Last edited by a moderator:

pam hall1966

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just called the hospital to check on my boy. They said he was doing really good for them this morning! He looks alot better, more alert and is perky however, they said he is still not eating. They said if he isn't eating by later this afternoon they are going to use an appetite stimulant and that should do the trick. Does anybody know if this would be considered normal for him to still be uninterested in food given his condition and what he has been through the last couple days? A friend told me he may not be eating because of the strange environment and he might be scared and homesick. She said cats have a funny way about them and this could very well be the case as to why he is not yet eating. Anyways, I am going to go see him this evening, visiting hours are from 6-8 so I will know more after that.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
We'll keep pulling for him and please keep us posted.

I just called the hospital to check on my boy. They said he was doing really good for them this morning! He looks alot better, more alert and is perky however, they said he is still not eating. They said if he isn't eating by later this afternoon they are going to use an appetite stimulant and that should do the trick. Does anybody know if this would be considered normal for him to still be uninterested in food given his condition and what he has been through the last couple days? A friend told me he may not be eating because of the strange environment and he might be scared and homesick. She said cats have a funny way about them and this could very well be the case as to why he is not yet eating. Anyways, I am going to go see him this evening, visiting hours are from 6-8 so I will know more after that.
Cats will go off food for lots of reasons. The appetite stimulant is a good step. If that does not get him at least nibbling ask about a nasal gastric tube while he's in the hospital. If he has a favorite canned food take with you and ask if you can try and finger feed him.

It's good to hear he is more alert.

Thank you for the update.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
yes appetite stimulant is a good thing. make sure they treat for nausea as oftentimes it goes hand in hand with higher liver value. the anti nausea is given 20-30 min BEFORE appetite stimulant-then usually its golden. they have injectable form of anti nausea but it burns but works for 24 hours and also works on pain if there is pain from liver issues.

getting him to eat will be the biggest task. sometimes the stress of a hospital will keep them from eating. keep trying. The fact that he is bold and spazzy is really good.

pam hall1966

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, Igor is still in the kitty hospital. His liver enzymes have come way, way down but his bilirubin popped back up a bit. They did another ultrasound to check the liver and gallbladder again and everything is perfectly normal there. She says she thinks it is toxicity. He must have gotten into something when I turned my back for a second. 2 days before he started losing his appetite, I did some work on the kitchen floor repairing it and used a floor leveler/skim and vinyl adhesive. I was very careful to make sure he didn't get into this while I was doing it. I cleaned everything up but he could have possibly walked through some residue and that may be the culprit. They now say the convenia had nothing to do with him getting ill. He has been in since Sunday morning and she seems to think a couple more days will be beneficial as he finally started eating on his own last night. I took his food and his treats to them and they said he ate like a little piggy. He is looking much better, more alert and moving around alot more. It looks like he may just pull through this, I am hoping and praying he keeps improving. I miss my baby boy!

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise

Well, Igor is still in the kitty hospital. His liver enzymes have come way, way down but his bilirubin popped back up a bit. They did another ultrasound to check the liver and gallbladder again and everything is perfectly normal there. She says she thinks it is toxicity. He must have gotten into something when I turned my back for a second. 2 days before he started losing his appetite, I did some work on the kitchen floor repairing it and used a floor leveler/skim and vinyl adhesive. I was very careful to make sure he didn't get into this while I was doing it. I cleaned everything up but he could have possibly walked through some residue and that may be the culprit. They now say the convenia had nothing to do with him getting ill. He has been in since Sunday morning and she seems to think a couple more days will be beneficial as he finally started eating on his own last night. I took his food and his treats to them and they said he ate like a little piggy. He is looking much better, more alert and moving around alot more. It looks like he may just pull through this, I am hoping and praying he keeps improving. I miss my baby boy!
HIs eating, especially under the stress of being in the kitty hospital is great.

As to why ? No one seems to really know, I would , If it were me, have is chart marked for no convenia use without owner consent by you. From suspected respiratory infection to hospital confinement after the use of  convenia is as suspicious as a floor sealer. Before giving these powerful antibiotics veterinarians need to be doing a culture to see if what they are prescribing is going to be effective. Convenia is often choose it seems based on the experience of veterinarians that pet owners don't stick to a medication routine or finish the course of antibiotics.

Again I am only telling you my opinion of the situation.

Thank you for the update and please don't place blame on yourself.

pam hall1966

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes it is a great sign! He hadn't eaten anything on his own since this past Friday! I will NEVER agree to convenia ever again even though it seems that wasn't the cause here. I am terrified of the drug after I have read all the horror stories about it. I do think the dr may be right in the convenia didn't cause him to be ill, it was a toxin because he started showing signs of lack of appetite and not playing much Wednesday evening. He didn't get the shot until Thursday late afternoon. I had taken him because of his change in eating and behavior and it seemed they were a bit quick to administer that shot. They said he had a terrible ear infection is why they gave it to him. By Sunday at the er clinic, they said he still had no infection in his ear but still crawling with ear mites. I don't know whether the first place did't know what they were talking about with the ear infection or by the time he had gotten to the er Sunday, the shot had cleared it up. I think whatever the case, the convenia didn't help matters any. If anything it contributed to the liver problems in my belief. I don't know whether the ear infection was what was dragging him down and then the convenia just took him over the edge because he was already weak from the infection, I just don't know. But thank God he is getting better slowly and coming home on Friday!!!!!

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
And contributing to the problem is something vets need to consider when treating your pet. For a lot of vets the drugs available don't match their diagnostic skills. These are powerful antibiotics that should be used in specific situations. Because they work so well a mediocre vet can use them for a high success rate. Which is fine until it doesn't work or there are consequences to the animal.

The important thing is Simon is getting better.

harrys mom 02

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat has had three visits in 7 days to the vet. Loose stools,lethargy. No temp.Had x-rays. All was good.He gave her a Convenia shot and Dexamethasone 2mg.injection,two days ago.  She no longer has diarrhea and is eating fine. But still lethargic. Eats ,sleeps and that is it. Not the playful kitty we love.  He also did blood work the first time I took her in.It was normal. I have now maxed out two credit cards trying to help her.He wants to do more extensive blood work this week.But it is almost 300.00 and frankly I can't afford it.I can't understand why he didn't order a complete work up when he did blood work ,this past week.Now it's more blood work? Frustrated and sick at heart about how she is doing.

Last edited:

murphy3730

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Harrys Mom

Hi,  I am not sure how long you have been on this website but there is a lot of information on Convenia.  This is a bad drug for cats.  Convenia targets the same bacteria that is automatically in a cats mouth, so when they are given this drug which is a long acting antibiotic, it inhibits their normal bacteria.

One of my cats died after being given Convenia, the other cat Zoie is still alive and thriving.  Dont give up, there is hope that Harry will get better.  Lots of Love TLC and perseverance.

What Zoie got that Felix did not was I switched her food to Proplan canned food mainly the chicken and beef flavors.  Lots of water so they can flush their system of this nasty drug. 

While I dont lik to say quit seeing the vet, I would be very cautious what you allow the vet to do to Harry from here on.  If he is in crisis definately see the vet, but what I have found is that Zoie bounced back on her own a lot better without the vet than wiht.  However, many animals that have been given Convenia have needed emergency care.

What I know about Convenia:  This is an antibiotic that stays in the cats system for 72 days but the antibiotic properties only last for 14 days which leaves the effects of Convenia to wreak havoc on the cats body for 2 weeks without any antibiotics.  This drug is a chemotherapeudic drug which would cause the lethargy, anoerexia, kidney and liver issues.  it diminishes red blood cells which is why I think that the Propplan helps because it has a higher level of protein.  Be cautions about too much protein this can cause kieny problems.. 

if you would like to read up on Convenia from the manufacturer they are Pfizer and Zoetis, beware their website doesnt give you all the necessary info about Convenia.  Then you can go to the FDA.gov here you will find all of the info about Convenia and the research that was conducted on it.

I wish you and Harry the best, and will say a prayer that he gets better.

I have been trying to get people to sign up to start a tort claim against Pfizer and Zoetis If you are interested please let me know

Thank you

Murphy

furrypurry

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I haven't read through this entire thread, but wanted to add that we, too, had a bad experience with Convenia.  My Jaspurr was having a bad time with some skin lesions on his face.  I took him in because I had tried everything and nothing seemed to be working.  I was growing concerned because the lesions seemed to be affecting his eyes.  I had never heard of Convenia at the time.  I took him in, the vet took one look at him and said "he needs antibiotics and steroids" and proceeded to give them to him via injection.  There were no tests, no cultures, no nothing other than one quick once over.  After about a day's time I thought I was going to lose my sweet cat.  His personality COMPLETELY changed.  The cat who always follows me around would hardly move - just staring into space - and would hardly interact with me.  This went on for at least two - three weeks.  In the meantime I looked at the vet bill and saw he had been given Convenia so I started researching online and was completely horrified.  I called the vet's office in tears only to be assured that it was "harmless" and was not what was causing the problems.  I almost lost my mind worrying, but he FINALLY started to pull out of the stupor.  I have never been so happy to have a cat waiting for me one day when I got out of the shower to lay on my feet like he had always done before.  I pulled all our records from that vet and we haven't been back.  They were too quick to make a diagnosis without doing any real investigating into what was causing the problem.  Easy fix for them!  I have since started seeing another vet and I made them put NO CONVENIA in huge letters on both my cat's charts.  Never again.  I feel fortunate to still have Jaspurr here with me.  My heart aches for those who have lost their precious babies to this horrible drug

harrys mom 02

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for all of the info about Convenia! I have been reading all over the web about it. But nothing as informative as this. Had I known what it does,there is no way that I would have ever consented to the use of this drug. My vet called earlier today to check on her. I told him that she is eating,peeing (don't know if she has pooped since being given this.We have two other cats ,so unless I am here in the room,I don't know if she has pooped).I told him she is confused,lethargic up to a point. She is usually a bouncy,happy ,little kitty. Not so today. She seems to come out of the fog for a while,then dozes back off.He said to give her the rest of the week and then let him know how she is. I have been feed her Purina Pro Plan for hairball Control for a couple of years,in addition to 1/2 can Fancy Feast (for moisture) twice daily.I will definitely be watching her closely..Prior to being taken to the vet she threw up a big hairball last Thursday. Then again Sunday night,while having diarrhea. So I thought she might have had a blockage and that would have helped. BUt by Monday morning,she still had diarrhea. So it was back to the vet. He has given her metrodiaznole (Spelling isn't correct) for diarrhea previously. BUt she can't tolerate it. Thank you for your prayers and good wishes. We dearly love this baby,as we do all our furry children.

murphy3730

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Harrys Mom

HI, One of the worst things that I did for Felix is to continually bring him to the vet.  I think he may have pulled through without the vet.  All of the antibiotics and drugs just made him so much worse.

Zoie my female cat survived Convenia.  It took her 2 years to get her personality back and she is gaining weight and is a happy cat again.  She didnt get as sick as Felix and was not brought to the vet as much was not given other drugs.

The trick with Convenia is to help them drink lots of water to flush their system.  The more they eat and drink the faster the drug will come out of their system.  Wholelistic vets may be able to assist with natural detox to get rid of the drug faster.

Please dont hesitate to post or contact me if I can help in any way

Thank you

Sheryl Murphy

grace hutson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is exactly what has happened to our female, 7 1/2 years, Sam.  She was so much better before the Convenia shot and now doesn't play, sleeps and eats and very lethargic. It is definitely the shot. It is supposed to stay in their system 2 weeks fighting any bacteria, but like you, the culture came back negative.  All in all in stays in their system up to 65 days.  There is nothing we can do but make sure they are comfortable and plenty of water. We only give them filtered water from the fridge.  We have done everything in the last year to help her with recurring UTI's and every possible procedure and test. Knowing this came back negative and she is now having side effects from the Convenia is very upsetting. It just breaks my heart after 2 months of amoxicillin after a culture came back positive she was doing so much better. When we saw signs of the UTI back we took her immediately only to find out it was negative. Not sure why she was in and out of her box so many times seeming like she was straining but now she has a shot that has made her feel terrible.  Just know its not anything else.  Sam is exhibiting the same exact behavior as yours.

harrys mom 02

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry your Sam is so ill. Lulu is getting back to her normal self. Took two months to do it. She still has "off" days.She now has less wasted trips to the litter box. Began giving her twice weekly,1/2 tsp of   Natur- vet hairball preventative and that has helped her a lot in general.She was vomiting hairballs twice weekly. This product contains no petroleum.Petroleum causes nausea in some cats. I can guarantee that I will never let them give her another Convenia shot. Ever. Could it be your Sam has a hairball ,he is trying to pass?.She passed one ,one evening in a bowel movement, after several trips to the litter box. When she did,she actually cried  because it hurt so badly.

Last edited:

furrypurry

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry you are experiencing this awful, stressful situation.  I cried and cried about my Jaspurr because I was afraid he was never going to be normal again.  But he is!  Thankfully the side effects didn't seem to cause anything permanent.  But I can tell you neither of my two will EVER have Convenia again.  I instructed the vet tech to write on their folders in large letters NO CONVENIA!!  

Geoffrey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am a human doctor, not a veterinarian and any advice that I give about cats should be checked with a vet. Convenia is similar to cephalosporin but differs in that it is long lasting and may  stay in the cat for up to sixty-five days.  It is, I understand, only  indicated for the treatment of skin infections (wounds and abscesses) in cats caused by susceptible strains of Pasteurella multocida.  I also understand that it should not be used for any other infection and should certainly not be used as an antibiotic just because an animal is unwell!

Its side effects include gastro-intestinal problems such as vomiting and diarrhoea, and probably should not be used for a cat suffering from diarrhoea! 

Other side effects include anaphylaxis, neurological problems including ataxia (unsteadiness), convulsions and death.  Haematological side effects include haemolytic anaemia (the red blood cell break up and cause a severe anaemia) and this may well cause death.

It is not used in human medicine and, knowing all the above side effects and complications, I would not use it on our cat unless she had a penicillin resistant Pasteurella multocida infection.  This particular organism is usually penicillin sensitive so I can see no real advantage in using an antibiotic that has these complications and persists for over two months.  Penicillin is much safer.! 

So, 7_Angel and others, I suggest that you obtain a second veterinarian opinion - and never let your vet use Convenia except for its indicated use. I cannot give 7_Angel any other advice on the further management of her cat as I am not a veterinarian, but suggest that she awaits the second opinion. 

With all best wishes,

Geoffrey

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.