Constipated cat- Tiny poop with mucus

Scaredpersianowner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello again,
My cat is constipated due to a lot of changes in her diet. It’s a very long story, but she can only be on a certain type of kibble (Royal Canin Hydrolized Protein + Urinary S/O). She is on this food due to crystals and enlarged lymph nodes/ thickened bladder on an ultrasound.
She has had constipation for a long time. She used to get Laxatone but we suspect this laxative is the reason behind the enlarged lymph nodes. So we are switching her to lactulose but we had to wait 3 days from the last dose of Laxatone (today is the 3rd day).

She was doing really well with the crystals. She has been drinking a lot of water and having big pees. This morning, out of nowhere, she started straining in the litter boxes nonstop. She was peeing small, bloody pees. After one of her stops, she was straining (no crying) and we thought she pooped, but she didn’t. Then we found a tiny poop on the floor and a yellowish mucus on her back leg.

I got super worried and called the ER vet and asked if we should bring her in. They said no, that she could be passing the crystals and is also trying to poop and she is constipated. We are going to give her lactulose when she wakes up. I gave her buprenorphine for the pain from the straining and she relaxed enough to fall asleep. Other than that, she has been eating very well (she really likes her new kibble) and drinking water.

I am just wondering if anyone has ever found this type of mucus with poop. It’s really freaking me out. My vet has been very difficult to get in contact with (post pandemic) but he is a feline vet only and a big deal on feline medicine so I only go to him. I would just like reassurance that she isn’t blocked and lactulose is the right decision :( my vet won’t call back and we don’t have an appointment with him until mid April.

Thank you all for your assistance with this long post. My anxiety is at an all time high

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
Honestly, is there another ER vet you can take her to, or even just go in to the ER clinic you originally talked to? There is way too much going on here for someone who hasn't even seen her to say no, you don't need to bring her in. Besides that, no ER vet I've ever known would say that without at least knowing more, and basically wouldn't say anything without having seen her first.

I may be overstating the situation because, yes, this is the weekend but a general vet who won't get back to you with a cat in this serious of a condition isn't worth sticking with. My point is, you need a team for your baby, and it sure feels like the whole professional spectrum really doesn't have your or her back here, which I find quite disturbing.

By the way, I'm curious why you aren't using miralax PEG3350, but that's for a later discussion.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Scaredpersianowner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi
Honestly, is there another ER vet you can take her to, or even just go in to the ER clinic you originally talked to? There is way too much going on here for someone who hasn't even seen her to say no, you don't need to bring her in. Besides that, no ER vet I've ever known would say that without at least knowing more, and basically wouldn't say anything without having seen her first.

I may be overstating the situation because this is the weekend but a general vet who won't get back to you with a cat in this serious of a condition really isn't worth sticking with.

By the way, I'm curious why you aren't using miralax PEG3350, but that's for a later discussion.
Hi! Thank you so much for your response. From what I’ve heard from the emergency vet, and vet in general, we have an intense shortage of available vets and techs in my area. Basically more pets than doctors available. All the emergency vets around here have you call first and they determine if it’s an emergency or not. They basically just told me she is constipated and to try the lactulose, and that if it doesn’t work to call back :/

I really wish I could find a good vet around here. I found one that is more available but the practice is dirty, they are also understaffed and they have done a very bad job with my cats (not telling us what’s wrong, misdiagnosing, etc). So I don’t go there. I have called 3-4 places and they either aren’t taking new patients or the appointment wait time is like 2-3 weeks, so I just stick with my vet since it’s the same amount of wait :( times are hard post pandemic.

We give her lactulose as that’s what was prescribed the first time we went to the emergency vet July of last year. Can you enlighten me of the benefits of Miralax vs lactulose?

Thank you so much!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can you enlighten me of the benefits of Miralax vs lactulose?
I've been reading that more vets are prescribing miralax, because it doesn't draw moisture from the rest of the body, plus it is very easy to give - my angel Poppycat was very picky about anything added to his food but he didn't mind the miralax, dissolved in a little water and mixed in.

This is a little bit of a rough read, but it is the main reason I'm so concerned about the ER not seeing your baby;
Feline Megacolon and Deobstipation

Not that you don't know your area :) but maybe there's something here;

Fear Free Certified Veterinary Practice Directory

Find a Veterinarian and Practice | The Cat Community

Scaredpersianowner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been reading that more vets are prescribing miralax, because it doesn't draw moisture from the rest of the body, plus it is very easy to give - my angel Poppycat was very picky about anything added to his food but he didn't mind the miralax, dissolved in a little water and mixed in.

This is a little bit of a rough read, but it is the main reason I'm so concerned about the ER not seeing your baby;
Feline Megacolon and Deobstipation

Not that you don't know your area :) but maybe there's something here;

Fear Free Certified Veterinary Practice Directory

Find a Veterinarian and Practice | The Cat Community
Thank you so much for this info! Super important info I forgot to mention- she did poop this morning. It was very hard but she did poop her normal amount. She pooped at 7 am and started straining at around 12 pm when she pooped the tiny piece. Does that make any difference?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I checked on your previous post(s) and want to add the most recent ones here for reference. Cat weight loss | TheCatSite, Cat Blood Test Results | TheCatSite. I did this because the odds are these are all connected/related issues.

Based on all of the information, it doesn't sound like the 'new' food is necessarily the entire cause of constipation, if you say she has had constipation since July last year. However, kibble is never helpful with cats who have hard stools to begin with, because of the lack of moisture in dry food. And it also exacerbates issues with a cat that has kidney issues. Not only that, but most pain meds can attribute to constipation as well.

The reports you provided earlier suggested that you did not entertain getting an internal medicine diagnostic done. There were other recommendations in that report as well. Was there a particular group that was suggested for the additional diagnostic/testing?

Scaredpersianowner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I checked on your previous post(s) and want to add the most recent ones here for reference. Cat weight loss | TheCatSite, Cat Blood Test Results | TheCatSite. I did this because the odds are these are all connected/related issues.

Based on all of the information, it doesn't sound like the 'new' food is necessarily the entire cause of constipation, if you say she has had constipation since July last year. However, kibble is never helpful with cats who have hard stools to begin with, because of the lack of moisture in dry food. And it also exacerbates issues with a cat that has kidney issues. Not only that, but most pain meds can attribute to constipation as well.

The reports you provided earlier suggested that you did not entertain getting an internal medicine diagnostic done. There were other recommendations in that report as well. Was there a particular group that was suggested for the additional diagnostic/testing?
Hi there, I did get the diagnostic done with my regular vet. It said that on the report because I had to go to a different practice to get the ultrasound as my vet does not offer that service. They have to call a radiologist to come in, that person shows up sometime between 9 am and 5 pm to do it and I didn’t want to abandon her at the vet all day as she has a history of FIC. Instead I went to a facility where they could do the ultrasound right then and there.

We went back to our regular vet and discussed the ultrasound results. He said it’s uncommon for a cat this you g to have enlarged lymph nodes and he wanted to get her on the Hydrolized diet to see if that would help the bloody stool. They said with this kibble she can’t eat anything else and there is no wet food that goes with it. We really want to get her on wet food asap but again, the vet won’t see us or call us until mid April and everyone I talk to says the Hydrolized protein can’t be given with anything else.

She has been eating kibble the whole time since we brought her home from the breeder. We tried so hard to get her on wet food and she absolutely refuses. She won’t even eat those Churu treats. We asked our vet if this was normal and ok when we got her and they said “some cats don’t like wet food and that’s totally fine.”

It wasn’t until now that I started learning about the issues with kibble. I am and have always followed my vets directions to a T and I’m afraid I’m getting incorrect advice. I don’t know what to do from here and I can’t get help from anywhere. I don’t know if I can even get her started on wet food as I’ve been told this will ruin any benefits from the Hydrolized protein. I am so frustrated and desperate. I have the money to get her the best care possible, it’s just that no one is available and I am losing my mind :( thank you for listening.

Scaredpersianowner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure, since it was very hard.

I don't know if I linked this in your other posts, but it can be helpful;

Tips To Increase Your Cat’s Water Intake - TheCatSite
Thank you so much! You won’t believe how difficult this cat is lol. We have tried it ALL- the tuna water, chicken broth, ice cubes, everything. She refuses anything wet. She won’t even take Churu treats.

We’ve spent over $500 on two very fancy, ceramic and food safe water fountains. After her recent crystals diagnosis, we bought 2 more stainless steel ones. We now have 4 water fountains in our apartment and it is like Niagara Falls 24/7.

I was told by the vet that the dry food she is on now has the S/O formula that will make her more thirsty. I really hope this is true. I am so tempted on switching her over to a non-Hydrolized urinary kibble (my other cats get Purina RX Urinary kibble) and get her started on wet food (same brand). I don’t know that this Hydrolized diet is helping at all… but then again, no get available to discuss this with :’(

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I get the urinary care food, but what is the hydrolyzed diet for - because she had blood in her stool? Is that the only reason? I didn't go back far enough in your posts/threads to determine when the bloody stool started. Maybe that might hold some helpful clues? Btw, constipation can be the cause of blood in the stool.

Scaredpersianowner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I get the urinary care food, but what is the hydrolyzed diet for - because she had blood in her stool? Is that the only reason? I didn't go back far enough in your posts/threads to determine when the bloody stool started. Maybe that might hold some helpful clues? Btw, constipation can be the cause of blood in the stool.
Yes, they said it’s bc Hydrolized protein diet is much easier to digest for cats with sensitive GI. In her case, bc of the lymph nodes, that’s why they recommended it. I got ahold of the vet that did the ultrasound so I’m hoping for a wet food prescription to go with this food tomorrow.

Scaredpersianowner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
lol, bless your hearts!

I believe this is the one that has a higher sodium content.

So, are they saying she has IBS or IBD?

There might be something here;
IBDKitties – Helping Save Lives…One Paw at a Time
They did not diagnose her with IBS or IBD, just that she has a sensitive GI. The only reason we might get wet food is because we’re seeking it out, they keep saying “it’s fine if she only eats dry food.”