Cat Blood Test Results

Scaredpersianowner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there, can someone help me read my cats urinalysis? We had a big power outage and I am unable to see my vet until next week, but they called and said she has crystals. We are already in the process of switching her to S/O food (we thought this was an FIC episode). Does
BD725D18-9C18-4A7D-9967-018EFFD00727.jpeg
her result indicate anything other than crystals? Thank you!

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi.
So, as you know it looks like your cat has allot of crystals in the urine, and since the urine is dark and turbid your cat would need more water. The pH is higher than it should be to prevent crystal growth, so the diet switch is important. The blood in the urine would indicate just that, blood. There aren't any white blood cells so infection wouldn't be suspect. The elevated billrubin is something I haven't seen often in cats. It could be artifact since this is a voided sample.

If it was my cat, I would make sure to feed the canned variety only of the prescription diet. I personally wouldn't do a slow transition to the new diet, I would just switch. It looks like your cat could become obstructed at anytime with all those crystals, So, you need to dilute the urine as much as you can by getting your cat to drink as much water as he will. Also you can talk to your vet about giving sq fluids at home.

The way you think of it is if you have sandy water and a tiny opening for it to pour out of the chances of the sand blocking the tiny opening are going to be high, but if you add a allot of water to it there is less sand per ml to block it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Scaredpersianowner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi.
So, as you know it looks like your cat has allot of crystals in the urine, and since the urine is dark and turbid your cat would need more water. The pH is higher than it should be to prevent crystal growth, so the diet switch is important. The blood in the urine would indicate just that, blood. There aren't any white blood cells so infection wouldn't be suspect. The elevated billrubin is something I haven't seen often in cats. It could be artifact since this is a voided sample.

If it was my cat, I would make sure to feed the canned variety only of the prescription diet. I personally wouldn't do a slow transition to the new diet, I would just switch. It looks like your cat could become obstructed at anytime with all those crystals, So, you need to dilute the urine as much as you can by getting your cat to drink as much water as he will. Also you can talk to your vet about giving sq fluids at home.

The way you think of it is if you have sandy water and a tiny opening for it to pour out of the chances of the sand blocking the tiny opening are going to be high, but if you add a allot of water to it there is less sand per ml to block it.
Hello! Thank you so much for your reply. She is a 1.5 year old Persian and she absolutely refused to eat wet food. We are in the process of switching her to Royal Canin Hydrolized Protein with S/O index. This was prescribed after her ultrasound showed a thickened bladder and enlarged lymph nodes.
Is the billrubin a concern? I looked it up and now I’m panicking about liver disease. My vet didn’t mention it at all when they called about the results, they just said she has crystals and that we are doing the right thing with the food and giving her buprenorphine.
We have 2 water fountains and just went out and bought a third tonight. We will try to get her on wet food asap, but with the HP food she is very limited to what she can eat.
I really appreciate your help!

Scaredpersianowner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi.

Also to mention, she had a blood test done about a month and a half ago and it says it was 0.1
DAAC4DF4-93A2-40B5-BAFF-4AA7CF5D29F8.jpeg

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. The blood looks ok from what I see. I would continue with what you are doing to get her to drink more. I wouldn’t be concerned with the billrubun in the urine.

Scaredpersianowner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. The blood looks ok from what I see. I would continue with what you are doing to get her to drink more. I wouldn’t be concerned with the billrubun in the urine.
Thank you so much for your help! She has drank 3 times from the new fountain since we got it earlier tonight 😊

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
One thing to keep in mind if she is a Persian, is that they are susceptible to poly cystic kidney disease. Good thing about her being female is she is much less likely to get blocked.

Scaredpersianowner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One thing to keep in mind if she is a Persian, is that they are susceptible to poly cystic kidney disease. Good thing about her being female is she is much less likely to get blocked.
Thank you for that info! Does the bilirubin reflect anything about that disease? Is this something we can test her for?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Bilirubin is related to liver function rather than the kidneys, so I don't think it is connected. I suspect, as I think was mentioned above, that the urine sample used for analysis may have been compromised, which can skew the results. I would ask the vet about this aspect. If I recall correctly, exposure to light before analysis can impact the bilirubin reading.

As far as I know the most reliable test to look for polycystic kidney disease (PKD) is through an ultrasound, which would likely show cysts in the kidneys which are common with PKD. So, you had an ultrasound done, and, nothing about cysts were mentioned, correct? You can check with your vet, but it wouldn't seem PKD is an issue at this time. However, you can ask your vet about DNA testing for the PKD1 gene that can be used to identify cats that are at risk for developing PKD.

Polycystic Kidney Disease | Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine

Scaredpersianowner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Bilirubin is related to liver function rather than the kidneys, so I don't think it is connected. I suspect, as I think was mentioned above, that the urine sample used for analysis may have been compromised, which can skew the results. I would ask the vet about this aspect. If I recall correctly, exposure to light before analysis can impact the bilirubin reading.

As far as I know the most reliable test to look for polycystic kidney disease (PKD) is through an ultrasound, which would likely show cysts in the kidneys which are common with PKD. So, you had an ultrasound done, and, nothing about cysts were mentioned, correct? You can check with your vet, but it wouldn't seem PKD is an issue at this time. However, you can ask your vet about DNA testing for the PKD1 gene that can be used to identify cats that are at risk for developing PKD.

Polycystic Kidney Disease | Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine
Thank you so much for the info! This site is extremely helpful with both the results and the anxiety that follows.
Yes, she had an abdominal ultrasound because she was pooping blood on and off for months. She was on Laxatone and it helped for a while then it stopped. After that we were diagnosed the Royal canin HP with SO index and it’s already helping. Her poops haven’t been dry/hard and she hasn’t pooped any blood. Here are the results of the ultrasound:
92D788A4-4D44-4A33-BBA2-9E3E0AEE1BBA.jpeg

Scaredpersianowner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,
My girl has not peed since last night. It has been approx 16 hours since the last time she peed. We know she has crystals and we are switching to S/O food, but the vet only prescribed us buprenorphine for the pain.
Can females get blockages? Thank you so much!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Yes, they can. It's much more common in male cats as their urethras' are so much narrower, but it's not impossible for a female cat to have a blockage.

Is she trying to use her litter box but unable to pee?

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes they can but not as often as males.What is her behavior like? Is she eating? Is she acting strange? Are you sure she hasn’t gone elsewhere?