Cat weight loss

Scaredpersianowner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,
My cat has been having some GI issues. First she was diagnosed with crystals, and though she seems to be doing much better, she is now very constipated and her poop is coming out very hard. I am trying to get her on lactulose but I’ve been waiting for the vet to call me back all week and he hasn’t, and his next appointment wasn’t until 3 weeks from now.

Anyway, he told me to weigh her and keep an eye out. 5 days ago she was 9.02 and today she is 8.9. Is this considered a significant weight loss? Should I be worried?
Thank you so much for your help!

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lactulose works better in a well hydrated cat, it needs moisture, fluids from the body, to soften the stools.
Are you able to make her drink more? Does she allow you to push some water in her mouth with a syringe? Would you feel comfortable to give her some fluids with sub-Q injections?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can you ask to talk to another vet in your vet's office, since he isn't returning your call? Ideally, you would want to at least get the vet/vet's office on board with whatever you try. So, you might leave a message with them specifically about what you want to do and perhaps the vet could have one of the techs in the office call you if he is too busy to do so himself.

You could also try Miralax instead of lactulose. It is tasteless and you might be able to get your cat to take it with food. Most folks start with 1/8 tsp mixed with a small amount of water and add it to some food. If 1/8 tsp doesn't help much, you can try administering it twice a day, and even increase to 1/4 tsp once, and then twice, a day if necessary. Wait for about 24 hours before deciding you need to increase the amount.

I don't think the weight change is enough to be concerned about. That amount could be the normal variance that most cats (and people) go through between weigh ins. Just keep monitoring her weight to see if there is continued loss.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree with using Miralax vs Lactulose, since it doesn't require a prescription. Depending on what country you are in, it may be called something different. Just google Polyethylene Glycol 3350 to see what it's called where you are. We actually use a generic here in our house for our cats called ClearLax, same exact ingredient.

Is she eating less, which would account for the loss in weight? When cats are constipated they do typically eat less. If she hasn't pooped in awhile, I really wouldn't expect her to weigh less unless she's eating less.