Collars and microchips: What does your cat have?

What does your cat have?

• Collar

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Microchip

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Collar and Microchip

Votes: 11 68.8%

• Total voters

sarahliz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been thinking more and more lately about if I should get Chowder microchipped and have him wear a collar. He's an indoor only cat, I'm on the second floor of a two family home, and he's never made any attempt to get out. I still feel like if he were to one day somehow get out of the house I wouldn't be able to find him.

What does your cat have? What would you recommend to other cat parents?

I'm leaning towards just the chip, but what if people just thought he was feral? We have a lot of feral cats around here.

happybird

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Only one of my five cats has a microchip and that is because the shelter I got her from installed it. We have been considering having it removed after seeing the information on the website chipmenot.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Where I live feral/stray cats that are TNRd are ear-tipped.  This alerts animal control officers that the cat is part of an established colony.

I don't know how many people who don't TNR or don't have cats realize what ear-tipping means.

I had Ritz microchipped about a year ago; it doesn't require anethesia, and Ritz would not tolerate wearing a collar.

There is a current thread that discusses tatooing.  You might consider that.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Mogli (indoor cat) is microchipped and wears a collar. Our last cat, who went outdoors in a harness & leash combo, was microchipped, tattooed and wore a collar. Indoor cats do manage to get out - just take a look at the SOS forum. Collars are lost, and many people can't be bothered getting a stray checked for a microchip, don't have a carrier to get it to a vet or shelter to be scanned, are afraid to pick it up, and so on.

Two means of identification are needed, IMO.

matts mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Matt has a collar, but he's good at losing them. So I got him chipped as well, in case he were to get out and get picked up without it. There are lots of ferals in my area and I'd hate for him to be taken for feral if he  escaped and lost his collar....plus chipping him was only 45bucks-about what it was going to cost me for another new collar with our address engraved on a nameplate. So I chipped him and put on yet another safe-cat collar :)

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Mouse was chipped before I got him, and although he's an indoor cat I wanted that in case he gets out unintentionally one day and something happens to him.

No collar as  a collar rubs on the Russian Blue fur and reduces the thickness around the neck area. Also, he's rather accident prone and would probably get himself stuck or strangled by it somewhere....

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sam is chipped.  We got him chipped b/c it was part of the package deal that Animal Control offered us when he got him.  Microchip, neuter and tattoo (to show he's neutered) $40.  He's actually the first cat we've ever had done.

Holly could have been when we got her.  Humane society would have done it for extra, I don't remember why we didn't.  I'm wondering if maybe we should have her done or not.  She does go out, but normally it's only for a few minutes and she never leaves our property.

Cheryl

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
None of my cats are chipped or tattooed or wear a collar :/. I don't like having them unidentified but my town doesn't scan for chips and I wouldn't be able to keep safety collars on them for long, and of course a non-safety collar is out of the question. And I don't think a tattoo would be of any use. So I don't know what else I could do, except be sure they don't get out.

My mom's cats who go outside wear safety collars and ID tags. They lose a lot of collars :tongue2:. She buys collars and tags in bulk, LOL.

Last edited:

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
None of my cats are chipped or tattooed or wear a collar :/. I don't like having them unidentified but my town doesn't scan for chips and I wouldn't be able to keep safety collars on them for long, and of course a non-safety collar is out of the question. And I don't think a tattoo would be of any use. So I don't know what else I could do, except be sure they don't get out.

My mom's cats who go outside wear safety collars and ID tags. They lose a lot of collars
. She buys collars and tags in bulk, LOL.
My indoor/outdoor cats lose a lot of collars and tags, too.  Once we got a call from a neighbor who left a voicemail saying: "I have a collar here, with a tag for Ozzy.  No cat attached."   
  Sometimes we find them in the yard and can re-use them, but I've learned to keep spares.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahliz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't really like the look of the collar to be honest, but I think we may try one and get a chip done. Most collars are cheap enough so if he hates it it's under $5 wasted. I just want to be as safe as I can.

I also might get a BlanketID if he takes to the collar.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sugar, Spice and Sheba are all microchipped. Sillly and Julie are not. So far, only Sugar has gotten out and was gone for 4 days. I have since replaced that part of the screen door with a wood panel.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She came back on her own when it was rainy and cold. The microchip was never used. I think she was close all the time.

matts mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think the main reason for chipping a cat is for when they end up being picked up by another person...be it a helpful stranger or animal control. I'd really hate for Matt to get out and be picked up as a stray Again...that's how we got him in the first place, but he's obviously been a housecat before he was stray......too well adjusted around the kids. With his chip, I have the peace of mind of knowing that IF he gets out and gets picked up, they'll scan him and I can have him back. 

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats are all indoor cats. They are microchipped and wear collars and Boomerang Collartags (nameplates). Except for Mr Grey who wears a hanging double-sided tag on his collar (because of all his health issues so I could put health info on it.)

I use the collars because we have a lot of feral cats around here, and some actually very similar to my cats because most of my cats were originally feral babies so they're probably related! I am hoping the collars would help people to realize they are not ferals in case they ever got loose.

I also am getting Church a collar that is embroidered and said INDOOR CAT and my phone#. Harley used to wear a similar embroidered collar that said INDOOR ONLY.

Last edited:

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Personally, both my cats are micro-chipped AND collared, and I seriously believe in collaring ALL cats, whether indoor, outdoor, or a mix. Here is my rationale as to why both are absolutely, completely necessary. 

1) Microchipping is amazing because it's permanent (you can substitute tattooing here as well). However, it is only useful if whoever finds the cat takes them in for a scan. It is also only useful if the guardian is vigilant about making sure the information is up to date. So, while great as a backup should your cat end up in a shelter (in many places shelters MUST scan before euthanizing though check the specifics in your area), it is not much good should fluffy be found by a well meaning but uneducated neighbor. They may assume that this super cute, friendly cat is just in need of a good home.  Also, there is always human err, and even with strict protocols in place some beloved family pets can slide through the shelter system and straight into a cage- or worse. 

2) Collars are fabulous because they are a glaring neon sign to everyone that this animal has a home. Stray cats are common in so many areas that people don't often bother to check one out (like they would a lost dog) unless they see that tell-tale sign of domesticity. It's true that collars can fall off (and are meant to should kitty snag on something) but the possible benefits outweigh the possible risks. 

As for actual collaring- I struggle with the notion that  cats are unable and/or unwilling to be collared. Yes, there are a few exceptions in legit feral cases, but otherwise, getting them comfortable with the concept falls on us as responsible guardians alone. Admittedly, in some cases it is not as simple as just "slapping it on" and calling it a day, but with a little work and persistence any cat can become used to a collar. 

The first step is to actually buy one! When purchasing, there are three main types to look for. The most common (and cheapest) are collars with a plastic breakaway snap. While they get the job done they are also the easiest for fluffy to figure out how to get off (case and point: Diego liked playing with his tags so much that he figured out how to hook a claw onto his collar and pop it off. He would then spend hours wrestling with it and carrying it around in his mouth. When he would inevitably lose his under the couch he would go up to Ella, hook hers, pull it off, and carry it around- the goon!). For cats like this (or for those who especially hate the collar), then it's time to move up to a more secure model. Of those there are two kinds. The first has a piece of elastic as part of the band. Should kitty snag the elastic will stretch and they can wriggle out. I will say I have not personally ever tried this type as I went straight to option #3: a collar that has a buckle for size adjustment (like a dog collar), but the two pieces are connected by a sturdy rubber band. Should they snag the band will break and the collar will fall off. The plus side of this type is that they are very difficult ( if not impossible) for kitty to remove on their own (unlike the other two). The down side is that, should they snag and the collar break, you have to get a whole new one (fear not: most companies replace the band free of charge, you just have to have a backup in the meantime). 

After you have selected the proper type for your cat it's all about getting them to actually wear it. Start by doing your best to gauge the fit, and then distract your feline with a yummy treat while you put it on. You know you have a proper fit if you can slide to fingers between the collar and the neck (one on top of the other). Tighter than that and it's very uncomfortable, looser and the risk of catching and/or snagging is too high. Fit is crucial to consistent collar wearing! Once you have the fit down, slowly introduce your cat to wearing it. Each day start with a good play session (to release some energy) and follow it with the aforementioned favorite treat. While they are chowing down, slide the collar on. Ideally, you want them to wear it longer and longer each day while removing it before they reach meltdown mode about it. For a particularly cantankerous feline this may be in 5 minute intervals and may take a few weeks to fully adjust to. But, if you are patient and consistent you will reach that point where the collar just becomes a part of the pampered life. 

A few additional notes about collaring:

1) Under no circumstances- EVER- should a dog collar be used! Cat collars are specifically designed with a breakaway function for a reason. Don't risk it, even for one second!

2) Cat collars general come in two sizes- kitten (2 to 6 pounds) and adult (6 pounds and over). Never, ever put an adult collar on a kitten! The breakaways are designed by mass, and a kitten doesn't have enough weight to break an adult sized collar off. Along those lines, never use a cat collar on a kitten smaller than 2 pounds (for the same reasons). If you need to identify very young kittens consider using paper wristbands or hair elastics. Should you be considering a brand that sizes in inches instead of weight, my 10 pound Ella and 13 pound Diego both wear 10 inch collars. Hopefully this gives you a bit of a reference point. 

3) Should you notice that your cat's collar keeps coming off consider trying a different brand or a different type of closure. Each animal is unique and has their own preferences too! The brand that I currently use (and love) is called Puddy Tat. Yes, they are expensive but, it's really a long term investment. And, that money upfront is nothing compared to what  would be spent trying to track them down should they ever escape!

4) We have all heard horror stories of cold hearted neighbors poisoning or killing a cat that comes on their property, regardless of if they are friendly or not. IMO, having the collar is just another indication that this is someone's pet, and there is an alternative to such means. They have to option to get in touch with you and address the problem (I'm not saying all would, I'm just saying it increases the odds). 

5) You can think I'm crazy for thinking it's possible to collar all cats, but I have four years of shelter expienrece under my belt now and each and every one of the shelter's 150 residents is collared, including all of the ferals. With some it has taken several tries and several models, but it is totally do-able. 

6) It's possible that over time you may end up with more than one collar. A simple clasp one may not end up working, and sometimes they are mysteriously lost only to resurface months later. I would recommend keeping at least one as a backup collar just in case but if you end up with more than that- donate them! There are hundreds of shelters who would be very grateful to have a few extra collars lying around. Helping animals in need while you help your own- it doesn't get much better than that! 

7) Of course, a collar is relatively worthless without a tag! Tags can be made at almost any Petstore and are very cheap. Personally, I put my Cat's name, my phone number, and the words "I'm Lost!" in big font on the front. This will signal to someone that, not only is that someone's pet, but is most likely socialized and therefore approach-able (note: if your cat is an outdoor one I would put something indicating that (ex: Outdoor ok) to indicate that while this is someone's pet they are free to roam around). On the back I put the number for the microchipping company as well as their microchip ID. This way, if for some reason I am unreachable, they can call 24/7, give the microchip number, and know exactly where to take them. While many people will stop and investigate a lost animal, not many are willing to take them in for days at a time while they try to contact the owner. Make it as simple as possible for someone to help reunite you two!

And microchipping:

1) If you move frequently, consider having the information be linked to the shelter you adopted from or an established vet's office. This way you don't have to worry about keeping it up to date and you will always know where to look first should you need to. Even if you don't it's worth considering, as they would be able to take them in in the event that you are not home or out of town. 

Finally, remember that I did all this on top of the fact that both my cats are strictly indoor only. It may seem excessive, but it is because they are indoor only that the precautions are necessary. Neither of my cats are prepared for life outside these walls, and, if it ever should happen, I want to make it as obvious as possible to people that they have a home worth coming back to. And for all those saying "but my cat would never get out" I urge you to reconsider. YOU may always be watching that they don't slip out, but what if you go out of town and your petsitter isn't as vigilant? What if the maintenance guy comes by and they scamper by him in fear? What if the kids forget to close the sliding glass door all the way (no matter how many times you tell them)? The fact is, anything can happen. And, it's far better to be the person with a missing cat knowing you have already done the work in advance versus sitting there going "if only I would have..." It may cost a little money upfront but it's so worth the piece of mind! 

prairiepanda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cats are indoor only and have chips and collars. The collars are breakaway ones, to prevent injury, so it's important to have the chip in addition to that. One of my cats seems to have a damaged chip, though? I asked the vet to check of the address is up to date and they couldn't get a reading!

I don't do tattoos because after a few years it's just a blurry mess that can't be read.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
EB, your post was excellent.  I've been very negligent since we got our second cat about collaring them.  Our first one, used to wear it all the time until he figured out how to get it off.  She, hasn't worn one since we have her (9 months) but we've had several instances of thinking she escaped the house (all times found in the house) and once where she did indeed slide right by my feet out the patio door.  She ran right back into the house.  Our boy, also got out the same way one time and also ran right back once we called his name.  We, were lucky.

We had already made a promise to get them both microchipped at their next vet appointment which is coming up shortly.  But really, after reading that I think we'll go back to using the collars again also.

If anyone has a brand they can recommend please post them?  The ones we were getting at PetSmart, and similar were of no use.  

Last edited: