Coffee & Tea Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dark roast coffee
I'm gonna need some recommendations for fun dark roast coffees, cause I think I'm gonna have to give up my sugary cappuccinos. They are making me sick. What does that mean when somebody gets a bad reaction from sugar? Is it diabetes? I get all sweaty, almost like a fever. Not looking for medical advice. Ha! Just wondering what it's called so I can Google it.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm gonna need some recommendations for fun dark roast coffees, cause I think I'm gonna have to give up my sugary cappuccinos. They are making me sick. What does that mean when somebody gets a bad reaction from sugar? Is it diabetes? I get all sweaty, almost like a fever. Not looking for medical advice. Ha! Just wondering what it's called so I can Google it.
Could just be a sign you’re eating too much sugar. If you have something really high in sugar, it can make your body overproduce insulin, which causes hypoglycaemia.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have something really high in sugar, it can make your body overproduce insulin, which causes hypoglycaemia.
Oh my! Thanks for the info. I better cool it with the sugar then. I drink 3TB of the cappuccino powder per drink, then the milk substitutes I was using were sweetened too, then sometimes I use honey and flavored creamer. I guess I just overdid it.

Drinking Nescafe dark roast instant coffee black right now, until I order some different brands. No sugary stuff for awhile.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
it could be too much.. try cutting back, a lot.
Yes. I'm going to try to focus on the flavor of the coffee itself, not the sugary stuff. Maybe I'll even get a grinder and get some fresh coffee beans.

Just drinking my Nescafe dark roast instant coffee because that's all I have at the moment. Drinking it black. Gonna get some more coffees in my Aldi order next week.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm going to try to focus on the flavor of the coffee itself, not the sugary stuff. Maybe I'll even get a grinder and get some fresh coffee beans.
I think you would really enjoy having a grinder and fresh beans. There's nothing better than grinding your own fresh coffee! :thumbsup:

Dark roast coffee with breakfast and iced Americano this afternoon. The temp got up to 90 today so an iced coffee drink tasted really good.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I had hot coffee for breakfast: TJ Columbian roast, with almond milk, maple syrup..
After Mass I grabbed a DD Iced Cold Brew with just almond milk... No sweetener..

It is very hard to eliminate a sugar addiction. Really difficult.. That is really what it is..
I have it myself; a sugar addiction.

If you cut back or out of it, you will see how much better you feel and you look.. It is weird that sugar affects us so negatively..

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm another one addicted to sugar. I try to watch what I eat, and drink, but so far today I've had 2 cups of my Suisse Mocha. So not one of my better days. :ohwell:

The weird thing is, I don't really feel any better, or worse, when I eat more or less sugar. I think like Lari Lari , my body is immune to it. :rolleyes2:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you would really enjoy having a grinder and fresh beans.
Yes, if I could just get interested in the flavor of the beans, that could be interesting, and get my mind off the sweet taste.

If you cut back or out of it, you will see how much better you feel and you look.
I wonder if sugar is what is giving me the corpse look in my selfies? It's worth a try.

Just drinking my Nescafe instant dark roast coffee, drank black. Sometimes I use 2Tsp, other times 1 heaping Tsp.
2 cups per day.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, if I could just get interested in the flavor of the beans, that could be interesting, and get my mind off the sweet taste.

I wonder if sugar is what is giving me the corpse look in my selfies? It's worth a try.

Just drinking my Nescafe instant dark roast coffee, drank black. Sometimes I use 2Tsp, other times 1 heaping Tsp.
2 cups per day.
Honestly, you don’t have to cut out all sugar immediately, or even completely. FWIW I keep any sweet things with added sugar to one, maybe two servings a day, depending on how much sugar they have, and how shit I feel that given day, as sometimes I need a pick-me-up lmao. Keep in mind that fruit doesn’t really count as sugar intake, unless you’re eating excessive amounts of very sweet fruits like berries, or if they’re in juice form.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly, you don’t have to cut out all sugar immediately, or even completely. FWIW I keep any sweet things with added sugar to one, maybe two servings a day, depending on how much sugar they have, and how shit I feel that given day, as sometimes I need a pick-me-up lmao. Keep in mind that fruit doesn’t really count as sugar intake, unless you’re eating excessive amounts of very sweet fruits like berries, or if they’re in juice form.
It's almost easier to wean than go cold turkey anyway. When I tried to give up coffee for Lent one year, it was a disaster and I added it back in within several days. When I wanted to cut caffeine for ttc and being pregnant, I started cutting out my third cup, then mixing decaf with regular coffee grounds at home and slowly upping the ratio while drinking one regular cup at school, and then school closed so I just had my half mix which moved to full decaf and I was able to succeed!

So if you're doing a tsp of sugar, maybe cut back to 1/2 tsp for a bit, then 1/4, etc, as a possibility.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's almost easier to wean than go cold turkey anyway.
I kind of go to extremes though. It's all or nothing. Super sugary or black. Eliminate the sugar and get it done. That's just me.

Just drinking my Nescafe dark roast instant coffee, drank black. It's almost gone, so I better get going and order some other coffees. Not sure what I'll get...

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
I had hot coffee for breakfast: TJ Columbian roast, with almond milk, maple syrup..
After Mass I grabbed a DD Iced Cold Brew with just almond milk... No sweetener..

It is very hard to eliminate a sugar addiction. Really difficult.. That is really what it is..
I have it myself; a sugar addiction.

If you cut back or out of it, you will see how much better you feel and you look.. It is weird that sugar affects us so negatively..
~ I use this to replace sugar. No aftertaste. No insulin spike. Not as sweet but mixes well. 😊👌
0a75c42e-befe-4dff-9a1b-9954d85512d4.ca75efa46217622e8d2f68f0e9b26013.jpeg

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I kind of go to extremes though. It's all or nothing.
That's what I did when I was pregnant and breast feeding, i.e. quit cold turkey. I can't believe I did it because I don't think I could do it now. I went without any coffee for over two years. 😱 Looking back I think weaning like Lari Lari said would have been easier.

Two cups of dark roast coffee today, one with breakfast and one in the late afternoon.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went without any coffee for over two years.
Oh heck no! I can't go without my coffee! Just the sugar. I don't like dessert anyway, so I don't know why I got so addicted to those vanilla cappuccinos. I blame Sunoco, because they have the best tasting cheap cappuccino and I got addicted to it.

Just drinking my Nescafe dark roast instant coffee. I ordered some Aldi brand dark roast ground coffee. That will be here Friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.