Coachella, My Sweet Old Lady

Sarahsunny

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've never posted anything like this before but I've decided to participate in the hopes that I can let go of my best girl. Over a year ago I adopted my first true feline love, Coachella(usually just called her Coach.) She had hyperthyroidism, was a senior kitty, and looked scroungy in her little cage. A stranger next to me took one look and said "ew" and I immediately knew she was mine. She was a perfect cat and then some. I've never felt so much excitement just to simply get home to her. But this was short lived because she passed 4 short months later, and I learned I had adopted a very sick kitty. After countless vet trips the doctors couldn't figure out what was wrong when her face would swell up for no specific reason. Then eventually her lungs were filling with liquid and it was time to let her cross the bridge. She went peacefully and is buried next to my childhood cat, Boots. I miss her more than most late family members (I know I'm terrible) but since then I've adopted two more babies and every once in awhile I accidentally call them Coach. Can't wait to see her again. Ok thanks!!

Attachments

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You gave Coachella love, freedom and her dignity back.

If it wasnt for you she would have lived the rest of her life in a cage alone, sad and scared. And she would have passed with no one caring of providing a resting place for her.

You are her hero.

Im happy to hear you have adopted 2 more babies. We did the same when our little lady passed.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Coachella, dream you deep. You walk in someone's heart forever.

Just reading your saga with Coachella, I know one thing...had you know the end at the beginning, you would almost certainly have made the same decision. Coachella knew, and knows, what love is because of you. And I know she returned that love, full measure. This is the thing with love...It never dies. It changes form, and continues on, still Love. Love abides, and Coachella is with you still, loving you every moment.

No, I understand how you feel about those losses. It isn't terrible at all. Cats give so much and ask so little, loving without reservation or conditions. How can we not grieve them so deeply when they must leave us?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sarahsunny Sarahsunny you're an incredible person with a huge heart, and you had Coachella, a cat with a huge, incredible heart.
There are quite a few people for whom the loss of such a wonderful feline friend truly does hurt worse than just about anything.
RIP Coachella, sweetheart, your beauty, strength and grace have been returned to you. :rbheart:

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
What you did was a WONDERFUL thing, you gave her love and care at the end and she will take that with her to the other side and she is happy and healthy now, just fine, and when you see her again it will be so wonderful. I am sorry for your loss and feel it worse when it is a tuxedo, what a sweet little thing.

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

I hope that your heart heals a bit more each day, God Bless......:alright: :grouphug: :rbheart:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sarahsunny

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not sure how to respond to everyone at once (my first day here) but thank you all for the kind words. I kid you not when I say every response was better than my family/friends. I do feel a weight lifted since posting this and I have more pep in my step after reading your responses. I love cat people

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I kid you not when I say every response was better than my family/friends.
I can tell you from experience, this website, TCS, is much more than a family.
I've never had such a level of comfort, help and support in the real life.

I'm sorry for your lovely Coachella, you did a courageous thing by adopting her despite her age, despite her conditions, this does you honor, you should feel proud of yourself.
Just think that she must have sat in that cage for months just because she was old and sick, then you, her Angel, come and give her the freedom and the love she waiting for.

From what you describe, she must have suffered from heart failure, but though her heart was weak, she was still capable of giving you a huge amount of love.

Remember her, because she will never forget you!

RIP Coachella :(

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think this is a post we should ALL take heed of, a post and tribute of pure, unselfish love. Here was a cat, a precious life, desperate to feel wanted and loved, sitting in a prison of no hope with time counting down. And at the last minute here comes someone with the insight and a big enough heart to to sense the desperation, the need, and responded with compassion and love. You have an incredible soul, I know with certainty you will be blessed and surely be rewarded for your giving this sweet lady what she wanted, what she needed so desperately, a home and someone to love her. In 4 months you developed a bond with her soul, she will always be a part of you now, death can never break that bond, it is spiritual, so eternal. "Death cannot take that which never dies" and the thankfulness, the love she has for you will never end. Let your precious memories of those too few happy times bring you comfort, just knowing what you gave that sweet girl should bring a satisfaction to your soul that few will fully realize. She was in your life, shared too short a journey, for a reason. And though she now follows a new path, it will forever parallel your own. What you gained far outweighs the pain of her leaving, don't let all those should haves, could haves that come with grief bring you sorrow, she would never want for her hero, only for her love to be passed on and allowed to grow, for her memory to be kept secure in a loving heart. Thank you for letting us know of this sweet girl, now she will be mourned and thought of by many as she so richly deserves. I will keep you both in my thoughts and prayers I admire and salute you, WELL DONE, MY FRIEND!
RIP precious Coachella. You will never be forgotten, you will be dearly missed by the one who will always keep your love safe. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again. Goodnight, sleep tight, little Princess!

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know how much more of these passings my heart can take, so heartfelt and bittersweet, and when they are Tuxedos, well, look at the picture of my little "Boo Boo" and you know why, so so heartbreaking some of these stories.....:rbheart:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know how much more of these passings my heart can take, so heartfelt and bittersweet
Same here.
My heart is swollen with pain for all those sweet fubabies that leave this Earth, and above all they leave their family in despair.

Maybe my recent experiences with the death have weakened my heart and soul beyond recovery, and now every passing pierces through me like an arrow...

There are times whne I can't even write a word of comfort because my mind is fuzzy and the tears come too easily.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Same here.
My heart is swollen with pain for all those sweet fubabies that leave this Earth, and above all they leave their family in despair.

Maybe my recent experiences with the death have weakened my heart and soul beyond recovery, and now every passing pierces through me like an arrow...

There are times whne I can't even write a word of comfort because my mind is fuzzy and the tears come too easily.
I understand...after what we went through with Sugar almost dying after that horrible reaction to anesthesia and a week's stay in the hospital and other things that happen in my life I feel like I am very much on the edge, it doesn't take much bad news to knock me over again....I feel like I am starting to heal from bad things but it doesn't take much to start the wound bleeding again.

Hang in there my friend, prayers and love with you, we all understand the state of mind you are in as we too have been there before and will many more times, and as you know it never gets any easier....:alright: :grouphug2: :rbheart:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand...after what we went through with Sugar almost dying after that horrible reaction to anesthesia and a week's stay in the hospital and other things that happen in my life I feel like I am very much on the edge, it doesn't take much bad news to knock me over again...
Thanks les26 les26 ,
I'm sorry I couldn't take part or contribute to your thread about Sugar, that bad event occured when I was away on holiday, and while away I couldn't follow TCS. But I had read the thread and no doubt it was a terrible expereice, it surely took its toll on you, I can understand.

Yes, les26, I'm starting imaging our life as a brick wall.
Every bad moment, experience or event takes a brick away from this wall. And when enough bricks are missing, the weakest push can make this wall collapse...
This is how we are now, a weakened wall.

Hugs!

Last edited by a moderator:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But that weakened wall can be rebuilt. Every blow it receives, every bit of mortar that crumbles, can be rebuilt and strengthened BECAUSE of the empathy and compassion you both have to others who are going through the unimaginable and so desperately need someone to acknowledge that pain and to offer words of comfort. You both are so blessed to have such big hearts. You DO make a difference, you are needed and loved by many. I consider you both a friend, and like me you are slowly rebuilding your life after tragedy, but are finding healing through helping others to heal. You throw a lifeline in the midst of a tsunami. It's hard to go on, to go through the pain and anguish of another's grief when it magnifies and mimics your own. But you know how important it is to hear that word of comfort, and in that way you are comforted yourself. You are blessed among men, you are needed more than you will ever know, and I plead with God to bring you comfort and peace, to help you reach out, and to bring you strength. God will surely hear my prayers and help you find a light in the darkness. Please know I care and understand your grief, i wish I could take it away. " That which does not kill us, (or our spirit) will make us stronger", it may beat us down but it will never take away our faith. Bless you both, and all of us that have followed this road......

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks les26 les26 ,
I'm sorry I couldn't take part or contribute to your thread about Sugar, that bad event occured when I was away on holiday, and while away I couldn't follow TCS. But I had read the thread and no doubt it was a terrible expereice, it surely took its toll on you, I can understand.

Yes, les26, I'm starting imaging our life as a brick wall.
Every bad moment, experience or event takes a brick away from this wall. And when enough bricks are missing, the weakest push can make this wall collapse...
This is how we are now, a weakened wall.

Hugs!
Thank you and that is okay, I understand, no problem....Praise God she is doing fine now, that did take the wind out of our sails for sure but we deal with it and time and love and prayers help get our strength back, until the next catastrophy happens!!!

Hang in there my friend, the sun WILL come out again soon for you!!!!!