Clindamycin (clinda Guard Drops) Questions

terris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. My cat is having a dental next Wednesday, May 1st.
Her vet wants me to give her 2 mls of Clindamycin (clinda guard drops) every 24 hours with food, starting 5 days before her dental, which means she starts the antibiotic tomorrow.
My questions are, has anyone given Clindamycin to their cat and if so how did you administer it, by a dropper or syringe, or did you mix it in the food?
I know I will have a very tough time giving it to her straight from the dropper or syringe, so I’m thinking about mixing it in her food. Maybe instead of regular food, try mixing it in “Lickables” treat.
Does anyone know if the Clindamycin tastes nasty to cats?
Any advice would be appreciated!
Thank you!

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi terris.

I haven't used this brand.....I'll ease your anxiety a little, though while you wait for a user review.

Drugs.com describes Clinda Guard as "palatable".

Just be careful that she doesn't aspirate - breathe in - the liquid. So, don't 'shoot' it down her throat, but aim for the rear side corner of the mouth....if you're not mixing it with food. And, she should not be on her back, but upright. The danger for aspiration is greatest during a struggle.

I think I might first try mixing it into a small amount of pungent food that she likes.

I had been given another brand, "Antirobe", and it was absolutely horrid tasting!

A trick/technique I used with any foul-tasting med was to have a couple of tiny syringes filled with a mixture of honey and water. I gave this as a 'chaser' afterwards - while cats don't have sweet receptors, the sweet seemed to balance out the bitter, and it almost reduced the cats negative after-reaction to zero.

Treats afterwards often makes everything right again!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi terris.

I haven't used this brand.....I'll ease your anxiety a little, though while you wait for a user review.

Just be careful that she doesn't aspirate - breathe in - the liquid. So, don't 'shoot' it down her throat, but aim for the rear side corner of the mouth....if you're not mixing it with food. And, she should not be on her back, but upright. The danger for aspiration is greatest during a struggle.

I think I might first try mixing it into a small amount of pungent food that she likes.

I had been given another brand, "Antirobe", and it was absolutely horrid tasting!

A trick/technique I used with any foul-tasting med was to have a couple of tiny syringes filled with a mixture of honey and water. I gave this as a 'chaser' afterwards - while cats don't have sweet receptors, the sweet seemed to balance out the bitter, and it almost reduced the cats negative after-reaction to zero.

Hi terris.

Thank you so much for your advice!
I plan to try with the Lickables chicken flavored treat. Its soft and cones in a pouch and can be purchased at Walmart.
Wish me luck

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for your advice!
I plan to try with the Lickables chicken flavored treat. Its soft and comes in a pouch and can be purchased at Walmart.
Wish me luck!