Cleaning the cat tree

ReginaldElton

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How do you keep your cat tree clean? Do you just vacuum it? Or do you have any special gadgets that help get the hair off, rakes, sticky tape, etc? THANKS!

Last edited by a moderator:

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I wasn't sure where to put this. Please move if needed.

How do you keep your cat tree clean? Do you just vacuum it? Or do you have any special gadgets that help get the hair off, rakes, sticky tape, etc? THANKS!
To keep the cat tree clean, I use only 3 things. A Vacuum Cleaner, a Steam Cleaner and a sticky roller.

First, use a sticky roller and run it through all the areas of the cat tree. This is to pick up the hair and dirt that you don't want them to clog up your vacuum cleaner and and spend time cleaning the vacuum cleaner there after and at the end, we are the vacuum cleaner :lol:
Or some may put rubber gloves and run through the cat tree as rubber gloves can pick up hair. But I prefer the sticky roller.

Second, vacuum the cat tree.

Third, after vacuuming, use a good steam cleaner and also steam clean all the areas of the cat tree so to disinfect the cat tree.

Lastly, for maintenance, use the sticky roller occasionally before you do a thorough clean up so this way, the cat tree is kept clean all the time.

Last edited:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
If you're in a rush, the best thing to clean cat hair of cat trees, beds or soft furnishings is rubber dishwashing gloves. Put the gloves on, get them wet and run your hands over the surface that needs cleaning. The cat hair sticks to the damp rubber and it's really easy to ball it up and throw it in the trash.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Post vacuuming, I have had good luck using a dull serrated knife, working against the grain of the carpeting, to remove stubborn fur.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't because I don't have a cat tree. My ceilings are too low but if i did have one it would not have carpet on it for the reason of it being too hard to clean. Especialy if a cat pees on it or pukes on it.

Plus carpet is too 70's looking

I would get one like this probably
Amazon.com

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ReginaldElton

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your replies. Next question. How often do you clean them? I haven't had carpet in years. Because it is just too hard to keep clean with having big dogs in the house. I have blankets over furniture that gets washed weekly (usually.) Do the tree weekly? Or more often? I don't think it needs steam cleaned weekly.

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Koshka has some white towels that I put over spots where she sleeps. I use white so I know when they need to be washed. I will fold one of these and put it on the bed she likes in the tree. Then it is just de-hairing the towel with a sticky roller, and throwing it into the wash. You will only need to vacuum your tree occasionally for dust and incidental hair by doing this.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Thank you all for your replies. Next question. How often do you clean them? I haven't had carpet in years. Because it is just too hard to keep clean with having big dogs in the house. I have blankets over furniture that gets washed weekly (usually.) Do the tree weekly? Or more often? I don't think it needs steam cleaned weekly.
It all depends on how much your cat sheds and some places are more dusty than others. I have the habit of picking up after my cat sleeps on the bed and also whenever he grooms himself and usually he leaves quite a bit of fur behind. So I just use the sticky roller to pick up the loose hair.

I vacuum and steam clean once in awhile.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Squeegee works best on cat trees. Get a small one like you would use in the bathroom and you will be amazed at how well it picks up the hair. After squeegeeing my cat trees, I considered squeegeeing the cat herself. 😹 She enjoys being groomed, though. That's not an issue.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Squeegee works best on cat trees. Get a small one like you would use in the bathroom and you will be amazed at how well it picks up the hair. After squeegeeing my cat trees, I considered squeegeeing the cat herself. 😹 She enjoys being groomed, though. That's not an issue.
Yes! Squeegee or window wipers. I bought some hand held ones half the size on amazon

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes! Squeegee or window wipers. I bought some hand held ones half the size on amazon
The vacuume attachment squeegie is even better like squeegie on steroids. The squeegie spins creating stattic and the vacumme pulls the junk into the canistr so you just dump it in the trash.

ReginaldElton

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does that vacuum attachment fit any vacuum?

ReginaldElton

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you have a picture of this dense soft bristle hair brush? Currently looking for a small squeegee since that seems to be the consensus. But want to see the other options. I will also be covering with towels after my first cleaning. I don't know why I didn't think of that. I have all my furniture covered in blankets.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We got a ChomChom and it is amazing for cleaning the cat tree. It gets off hair even our pet vacuum doesn't get! I also use it on clothes before I wear them or our furniture.

We do have a pet vacuum (Eureka brand) which is very good.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We got a ChomChom and it is amazing for cleaning the cat tree. It gets off hair even our pet vacuum doesn't get! I also use it on clothes before I wear them or our furniture.

We do have a pet vacuum (Eureka brand) which is very good.
I got the Chom Chom dupe. It's basically the same thing, just costs less. I use it on furniture mostly. For the cat tree, good ole scrapping with my fingers to get the hair to clump up works well for me.