Cleaning syringe

AmyFluffyMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was wondering what methods to use when sterilize syringe. I changed her gababentin to a liquid from pill form. She kept spitting out the pills so liquid seems easier with her.
Today was the first time I used the syringe, the pharmacy only gave me 1. I put it in scalding hot water. I’ve seen different ways online, soap and water, boiling ,bleach water. In the past I used a syringe to give her fur ball paste and cleaned it with hot water. I also run her toothbrush under scalding hot water. She has never gotten ill from cleaning them with the hot water. What methods do you all like?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just use water. I wouldn't use bleach in a syringe that is used for liquid medicines even if you do rinse thoroughly. Syringes are cheap so ask the pharmacy or your vet for more. You can also buy them online. Chewy.com even has them: Oral Syringes Dispensing Syringes with Tip Cap, 1-cc, 100 count - Chewy.com The 1 ml / cc size is what you need. 5 ml / cc is too big.

Did you try Pill Pockets or anything with the pills?

Pilling Cats: Must-know Tips For Hiding Pills – Cat Articles
The Best Pill-taking Secret I Know...
Pilling Cats and Dogs Safely
How We Give Our Pill Hating Cat A Pill
Getting Cat To Take Pills... Post Tips Here.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AmyFluffyMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks!!!
I just use water. I wouldn't use bleach in a syringe that is used for liquid medicines even if you do rinse thoroughly. Syringes are cheap so ask the pharmacy or your vet for more. You can also buy them online. Chewy.com even has them: Oral Syringes Dispensing Syringes with Tip Cap, 1-cc, 100 count - Chewy.com The 1 ml / cc size is what you need. 5 ml / cc is too big.

Did you try Pill Pockets or anything with the pills?

Pilling Cats: Must-know Tips For Hiding Pills – Cat Articles
The Best Pill-taking Secret I Know...
Pilling Cats and Dogs Safely
How We Give Our Pill Hating Cat A Pill
Getting Cat To Take Pills... Post Tips Here.
I had her meds compounded with chicken flavor. She had the pill form in 2 different forms. The liquid was a bit more affordable and she seems to like it. Thanks for the tips.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No need to sterilize a syringe for something that has to be administered by mouth which, by definition, is far from sterile.
Just wash it with hot water from the tap.

If a needle is involved in drawing some med from a bottle and you wnat to clean the needle as well, I use this method.
I suck some water from the tap with the syringe without its needle, and then keep on sucking air just to have some empty space in the syringe. This is useful to shake the water in the syringe and give it a good rinse.
I do this two or three times.

Then, I draw some water and air again, put the needle on, point the syringe downwards so that the air in the syringe is in the upper part, push the plunger gently (not too fast or the needle is ejected), and when the water is over I keep pushing air so that the inside of the needle does not hold any water. Everything is dry.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Syringes with needles attached, such as insulin syringes, should never ever be reused. They shouldn't be recapped either. It's far too easy for someone to accidentally poke themselves with a syringe or trying to recap one. A poke from a used dirty needle is obviously cause for health concern. A needle gets dull after one use as well so the next time you try to use it, it will drag through the skin and cause discomfort and possibly cause infection.

But this is getting OT. The OP was asking about oral syringes for liquid medicine, not syringes with needles attached.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But this is getting OT. The OP was asking about oral syringes for liquid medicine, not syringes with needles attached.
LTS3 LTS3 , if your last post is intended to me, I never mentioned using a syringe with attached needle for medication, I said that if the needle is used to draw a liquid med from a bottle or vial, it could retain some med in its canal and this stuff will get stale if left in there. That my advice was for, cleaning the needle to reuse it for drawing another med dose from the bottle.