claw trimming and aging feral

bastfriend

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi all, this is about an indoor feral kitty but I'm putting it in this section because I want more general advice.    My cat Patches is ten years old and I am lucky if I can get her to the vet once a year because it requires extreme measures to get her there.    I took her inside as an adult feral at two years old and she cannot be restrained in any way.    I am getting worried about her claws getting longer as she gets less active and wondering how serious a problem is it if she only gets a claw trim once a year?    If she were a normal cat, I'd be doing it every couple weeks - the vet recommends every three months to be safe.    Still there's no way on earth this cat is going to be able to get that.    I do have a cat tree for her with carpet, wood, and sissal which she regularly scratches.   Her claws are visibly long and super sharp - I do see that she is shedding the sheaths.   She frequently climbs it so her back claws get a workout with that.

I recently  moved to an apartment with berber carpet that her claws audibly stick to as she walks and I cringe each time I hear it.   She seems to have adapted to walking on it but I can't imagine it is pleasant.    Still even if I get the techs in here to get her and sedate her the trim will only be good for three months max, she'll be traumatized, and then I'm right back here again.    And yes, next apartment move no berber capet ever again!

So what do you guys think?    How long is safe to go?   Anybody else here dealt with a cat where claw trims are tough to do often enough?

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The only way I can trim Ritz' claws are when she is in a deep sleep or just woken up. There have been times when she's gotten her claws caught in the cat tree; if I hadn't seen her, I don't know how long she would have been caught.
Three months is better than one year: it might be less upsetting for Patches if her claws were trimmed at home versus at a vet's office. I know it's traumatic for Patches to get her claws trimmed, but if there is any possibility that her claws could catch on something from which she could not escape (like a screen window/door, cat tree), then I'd bite the bullet/hand and get her claws trimmed at least every three months. And, I'd get the trimmed as much as possible.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can you have a vet tech come to your apartment and help you do it?  The vet tech's at my vets office will come to my house for $10 plus fee for nail trimming.  Maybe that would help you out?  Nail trimming can be just awful.  I have had Marvin inside the house for almost 5 months.  The vet has trimmed his nails twice and I did it once.  My DS wrapped him in a towel and held him down while I quickly trimmed away.  I had some cooked chicken on hand to feed and distract him.  I know the time is coming when I will need to trim them again.  Marvin will not scratch on anything.  I have tried so many different types of scratchers and he won't use any of them.  So nail trims are a must. 

Not sure if this is any help to you. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bastfriend

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your replies!   Alas, Patches is still a very feral cat when it comes to any form of restraint, professionals and anesthesia are required.   She broke off her claws and bloodied her face against the bars while in the trap to go to the vet last March, even with it covered most of the time - that's level of resistance we're dealing with here.   I will keep a close watch on her - so far she is not getting hooked to anything though her claws make a noise on the carpet.   Once she starts having problems I'll act for sure, wish it didn't have to be this way but unfortunately I can't do the level of care I'd like to

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bastfriend

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Awwww thanks Ritz
    Without giving too much detail I grew up in a family where cat  neglect was common and had some sad consequences.   I always always question my actions and try to err on the side of doing too much rather than too little.     Unfortunately with Patches, doing too much isn't an option, even doing what seems reasonable is crazy hard.    I'm still glad I brought her in and she has such a sweet sweet heart but I can't lie it is tricky.    

ShadowsRescue, I wish you lots of luck with Marvin - sounds like you are doing great with him.   I hope he can fully integrate with your other kitty soon.

I gave her a test last night - I played with her in a way to deliberately get her stuck to the carpet to see if she could get unstuck while I was there....she was able to unstick without a problem.   I think I'll regularly test her like that so that hopefully I'll know when it is time to bring in the cavalry.