CKD diagnosis - what to expect

Chloe Minerva

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the suggestions! I will definitely check out the site. Like I said we only discovered the abnormal blood levels because she had lost weight. She's had a ton of lab work and your analysis test done . Her results have always been in the high normal range. Except for the recent bladder infection she's never seemed sick. Sometimes I honestly think she was healthier and happier before all this came to light. There's a part of me that is tempted to go back to her prediagnosis diet and see what happens. She goes back for a recheck in a few weeks and then I will decide from there.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the suggestions! I will definitely check out the site. Like I said we only discovered the abnormal blood levels because she had lost weight. She's had a ton of lab work and your analysis test done . Her results have always been in the high normal range. Except for the recent bladder infection she's never seemed sick. Sometimes I honestly think she was healthier and happier before all this came to light. There's a part of me that is tempted to go back to her prediagnosis diet and see what happens. She goes back for a recheck in a few weeks and then I will decide from there.
I guess it depends on what they think caused the bladder infection,...as in...was it bacterial, stones causing blockage, or her kidneys not functioning properly.
(with my previous rainbow cat,...I think it was his dental issues...that caused his eventual ckd, and hcm,...but he was older at 14 when diagnosed with ckd)

I'm guessing that they did a SDMA test...and from that number...they put Jessie in the ckd category?

Losing weight is worrisome, especially if it is sudden,...and not caused by the usual seasonal changes, or worms, parasites, etc,...but they would have checked her stool for this, too,...I would think.
That's why I was thinking hyperthyroid.

Hopefully, like you mentioned, since she recovered from her bladder infection, and is able to drink enough water to flush out her kidneys, plus bladder, then you may be able to find a food that Jessie will like, and that will help her entire system. :crossfingers:

I'm not sure if it would be good to go back to her prediagnosis diet...only because of the potential for it... possibly contributing to the bladder and kidney issues.
That's a hard call to make,...since it usually is Diet that is changed...whenever bladder, or kidney issues come up. 🤔

Could you discuss with the Vet, that the prescription foods are not what she wants to eat, and frankly are too expensive. Tell them about your budget, and any other concerns you have with your Jessie. Most good Vets will try to work with you, especially if you make it clear that budget, finances for testing,...and finding a food that our cats will actually want to eat...all play a role in our cat's health.

If you can,...please update us,...as to how your Jessie is doing, after her recheck, and if her numbers and weight have stabilized again.
I'm going to be Hoping for the Best. :clover: :crossfingers: :grouphug:🙏 :vibes::vibes::tabbycat:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi. It’s been a while since my last update. Meffy is alright though she’s started becoming grumpy/irritable a few hours after her subQ treatments. I give her treats during the process so she looks forward to it 2 times a week. Since last week I notice she gets really grumpy 3-4 hours after, probably after the fluids starts spreading. She won’t let us touch or she’ll growl if we petted her where the lump is. I don’t remember her acting this way before and it’s been 6 months since we started. She’s back to normal after 12 hours.

Is this normal?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hi. It’s been a while since my last update. Meffy is alright though she’s started becoming grumpy/irritable a few hours after her subQ treatments. I give her treats during the process so she looks forward to it 2 times a week. Since last week I notice she gets really grumpy 3-4 hours after, probably after the fluids starts spreading. She won’t let us touch or she’ll growl if we petted her where the lump is. I don’t remember her acting this way before and it’s been 6 months since we started. She’s back to normal after 12 hours.

Is this normal?
Not that I can recall. Of course, kidney cats are usually grumpy because, in general, they just don't feel all that well. But what you are describing doesn't sound normal, even for a kidney cat.

It sounds as if you are down to doing sub-q's just two days a week vs every day, so something changed, and the fact that she is still with you six months later is super! Did you get a new Vet? You might want to ask them what could be going on. Maybe she needs a different fluid? There are lactated ringers and a couple other, but lactated ringers are typically what is prescribed for kidney cats. It all depends on what their numbers in their bloodwork show (for potassium, that sort of thing)

Chloe Minerva

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I guess it depends on what they think caused the bladder infection,...as in...was it bacterial, stones causing blockage, or her kidneys not functioning properly.
(with my previous rainbow cat,...I think it was his dental issues...that caused his eventual ckd, and hcm,...but he was older at 14 when diagnosed with ckd)

I'm guessing that they did a SDMA test...and from that number...they put Jessie in the ckd category?

Losing weight is worrisome, especially if it is sudden,...and not caused by the usual seasonal changes, or worms, parasites, etc,...but they would have checked her stool for this, too,...I would think.
That's why I was thinking hyperthyroid.

Hopefully, like you mentioned, since she recovered from her bladder infection, and is able to drink enough water to flush out her kidneys, plus bladder, then you may be able to find a food that Jessie will like, and that will help her entire system. :crossfingers:

I'm not sure if it would be good to go back to her prediagnosis diet...only because of the potential for it... possibly contributing to the bladder and kidney issues.
That's a hard call to make,...since it usually is Diet that is changed...whenever bladder, or kidney issues come up. 🤔

Could you discuss with the Vet, that the prescription foods are not what she wants to eat, and frankly are too expensive. Tell them about your budget, and any other concerns you have with your Jessie. Most good Vets will try to work with you, especially if you make it clear that budget, finances for testing,...and finding a food that our cats will actually want to eat...all play a role in our cat's health.

If you can,...please update us,...as to how your Jessie

Chloe Minerva

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I posted back in July about my cat Jessie and the issues with her kidneys. I wanted to do an update and let everyone know she's doing well. She went in for a routine physical and had labs done because of some weight loss. Her kidney function values came back high normal and we were off on a roller coaster ride of lab tests, urinalysis, trying to get her to eat prescription food, etc. After six months and thousands of dollars she was a skinny, lethargic mess. She stopped grooming (and wouldn't let me groom her) and was getting repeat bladder infections from the matting on her butt. Around the time I made the post in July, I finally said enough. I had her shaved (she looked ridiculous but was clearly more comfortable) and switched her back to the non-prescription food she was used to plus some kitten food to promote weight gain. Her weight is up from 5.8 to 8 lbs. Her coat is growing in thick and shiny. She's active, playful and affectionate and takes great joy is bossing the other cat around. Jessie is Jessie again for the first time in a long time. I'm keeping a close eye on her and will take her in for monitoring labs every six months, but we are off the roller coaster for good. I realize this may change down the road and there may be hard decisions to make but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. For now, I'm choosing quality of life over quantity and Jessie and I are both much happier. Happy Holidays!

tamsynstead

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat was diagnosed with high liver and kidney levels and supplements were prescribed for both ailments. Yesterday took him for check up and liver now fine (after a year on SAMe) but kidney now at stage 3 (on RenAvast, which I encourage everyone to research before using it.). I'm in Thailand so maybe it's been withdrawn in the West because of FDA findings of false claims as to it's efficacy, to which I can now attest. Anyway, vet suggested SubQ treatment (she'd done this a year prior saying the cat was 'dehydrated' even though he never stops drinking) and I refused. I'd had two dogs on this 'treatment' and yes, they were fine again for the first couple of hours but then quickly relapsed into non eating/vomiting. I believe this to be a scam. Both dogs died anyway, after great expense and anxiety, so am not about to go that route with my cat. After some digging came up with regimen of renal food, which he barely touches, and probiotic powder. I've booked him in for ALL cause diagnosis, including urine and prescription for an ACE inhibitor in the case of possible hypertension. Anyone else used this regimen?