Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

KittyCatCove

Daddy of 4
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you
Please keep us updated on his progress- we care.
Thank you!

The Cerenia definitely stops the vomiting and nausea, but lack of nausea doesn't seem to do anything to help his appetite though. I stopped using the appetite stimulant a day ago because it just wasn't working. I've read that appetite stimulants usually not work in cats with advanced CKD... this appears to be the case with my sweet Buddy boy.

Right now his eyes look very tired and slightly sunken, even with the daily fluid injections. His breath is very bad, he's barely eating anything now. Even water is sometimes a chore to drink... he sits in front of the bowl, staring at it, stirs the water around with his paw... sometimes starts drinking from the bowl and sometimes licks the water off his paw. However, he's still using the litter box, still flicks/swishes/vibrates his tail when I talk to him, still purrs when I pet him, he's not hiding and still walks around the house (upstairs too, house is 3 story).

More fluids tonight at 8pm. I have a feeling it's going to be a very hard day from me tomorrow. I'll have to make "that" decision very soon.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
His breath is very bad, he's barely eating anything now. Even water is sometimes a chore to drink...
I've replied to several CDK posts, so I might be repeating myself here....sorry if so. But I really think something needs to be done about thoroughly checking the teeth.

KittyCatCove

Daddy of 4
Adult Cat
Purraise
I might have missed it, but did the vet prescribe Mirtazapine? That is an appetite stimulant and works differently than Cerenia for vomiting and nausea. Just suggesting anything that might help...
Yes he did. Buddy has been on it since 10/5 (6 days ago) and there has been no improvement in his appetite, in fact it's been getting worse.

This is very difficult, but I've decided that tomorrow he will be euthanized. I can not stand to see this cat suffer and waste away like this. I was optimistic, had high hopes, did everything in my power and exhausted all the options. He's dropping weight more quickly now and becoming weaker and weaker as the days pass. I'm petting him and typing this at the same time... making every moment count.

Tomorrow is going to rank right up there with being one the worst days in my life. Please say prayer and think happy thoughts for him... and me. Thank you all for you sympathy, comments and suggestions. My next post will be in the crossing the bridge section.

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry, I am glad that you are spending his last moments showing him he is loved. Honestly I think you have tried everything possible. My thoughts are with you and your sweet boy

Last edited:

KittyCatCove

Daddy of 4
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've replied to several CDK posts, so I might be repeating myself here....sorry if so. But I really think something needs to be done about thoroughly checking the teeth.
Thanks Jem, but honestly it's not his teeth. His kidneys are shut down, the toxins are building up and his body functions are beginning to fail. Very bad breath and drooling is very common during the last stage.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Jem, but honestly it's not his teeth. His kidneys are shut down, the toxins are building up and his body functions are beginning to fail. Very bad breath and drooling is very common during the last stage.
I'm so sorry about his decline. I only mentioned it because of what we went thru with my boy.
I hope you find comfort in knowing that he loves and appreciates all you've done for him. This little guy has a great person caring for him.
I wish you both peace and comfort. :alright: :hugs:

KittyCatCove

Daddy of 4
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry about his decline. I only mentioned it because of what we went thru with my boy.
I hope you find comfort in knowing that he loves and appreciates all you've done for him. This little guy has a great person caring for him.
I wish you both peace and comfort. :alright: :hugs:
Thank you.
I was doing my best to prepare myself for this. After he was euthanized, I realized that preparing doesn't do much to stop the pain. It's absolutely gut wrenching. That cat was my best pal. We had developed a strong bond. I will post more specifics about that in 'crossing the bridge' when I am able. Right now I am too emotionally drained. The tears are flowing too easily.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
So sorry to read about Buddy. We'll close the thread now out of respect for your loss. When you're ready, we invite you to post a tribute to your sweet friend in our Crossing the Bridge forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.