Ckd - Almost Time To Say Goodbye

Status
Not open for further replies.

KittyCatCove

Daddy of 4
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not certain if this is the correct part of the forum to post this in, but here goes...

My beautiful, majestic boy Buddy was diagnosed with CKD in January 2019. This past Saturday he started throwing up everything he ate or drank. Took him to the vet on Monday morning, they gave him a shot of Cerenia, sub-Q fluids and sent me on my way. I should've asked for blood work then, but I didn't. He stopped throwing up and ate some of his food on Tuesday, but not much. On Wednesday he stopped eating completely, so I took him to the vet again this morning. This time, full blood work. Bad news... ALL of the markers related to his kidney function were totally skewed in the red and off the chart. To my disbelief, the vet then proceeded to tell me he probably only has 1-2 weeks left. After discussing his condition for about 15 minutes, he offered me only 2 options: 1. Euthanasia or 2. transdermal appetite stimulant (mirtazapine). Since I was totally unprepared for that diagnosis I opted for the appetite stimulant. Vet told me if the appetite stimulant works (possible, but not probable), he might live a bit longer. He applied the gel to his ear and we left. After I left I could barely drive home. My boy was in the carrier in the front seat looking at me like: "What's wrong daddy?" Right then is when it all hit me. I haven't cried that hard in many, many years. Thankfully, I had large sunglasses to hide behind.

So it's now Friday night and he still will not touch wet/dry cat food. I tried tuna.. he will not eat it. I tried various types of meat baby foods... nope. Cooked egg whites... nope. So, right now I'm giving him whatever he will eat to get calories in him and keep him going; whole milk, pats of butter (melted in microwave), 4% cottage cheese (he won't eat the curds, just the cream). He's drinking water, but not that much... that worries me. Anyone have any ideas of what else I might try feeding him? Anyone here know how long it takes mirtazapine to start working? I forgot to ask my vet that question.

When I feel that time has come I'm going to have the vet come over the house and perform the euthanasia here. The last thing my boy needs is more stress in his life.

I am totally devastated by all this. This cat has been my best pal for many years. I cannot believe he will soon be gone. It all seems like a bad dream. Just looking at his cat bed and favorite toys makes me cry. It is absolutely gut wrenching.

I thought I was would post a few pics of my handsome little lion here (from better days)

Attachments

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so very sorry you're having to go through this with your precious boy. I've been there, and even though it's hard to go through, I think it's a blessing to not have them linger. My girl crashed, even though she'd been diagnosed and treated for 5 years, and then a couple of weeks later, we helped her gain entrance to kitty heaven. Her will was strong, but her body was just worn out. Enjoy lots of snuggles and spend as much time together as you can.

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So very sorry to hear you are dealing with this. I just wanted to say that whatever happens I'm sure you will make the right decision for your wonderful boy: and that when that happens the amazing people on these forums will be here for you. So many times I've heard my colleagues say 'but it's just a cat....'. Everyone here understands what you are going through.

My girl Spice went in for a check up last year and within a few hours I'd been told she had chronic kidney failure and could not be treated :(

Very best wishes for you and Buddy xx

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
This really is heartbreaking, and I am so so sorry that you two are going through this. Our other TCS members may have ideas/suggestions on what/how to entice him to feed.

Please hang in there. I can feel your pain all the way here and it saddens me to the core that another one of us has to go through this. You have given your boy all those magical years, and he will carry those happy memories with him until eternity.

Sending prayers your way..

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so very sorry. I had to let a cat go that had responded well to treatment for IBD for a number of years and then he was no longer responding. It isn't easy to let go but it is the best for your friend. That was January of 2018 and I still think of him daily but it is no longer raw pain, it is more bittersweet memories. The memories that I have now are of him healthy and happy. I think that is because I didn't let him linger after he was very sick.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My heart goes out to you, I know this pain that breaks your heart.....
I hope you have a vet you can trust, they know much and know when the fight should end. To watch someone you love so much go through this is not an easy thing to do, to be there for him means so very much. I would recommend asking the vet for some kind of pain medication to keep on hand, preferrably a liquid, that can be administered if the fight becomes unbearable. Every living cerature fights against the darkness. It would help to calm his fears and make him more comfortable.
The only thing you can do is to be there for him, love him, and give him comfort. He needs you now more than ever. I know it is painful to watch him, try not to think of the future but strictly the now. To see you distressed will heighten his own anxieties. I will pray that the good Lord gives you strength to get though this, I will keep you both in my thoughts and prayers. Take care and know we stand with you......

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KittyCatCove

Daddy of 4
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for the heartfelt responses. Great people in this forum.

I woke up this morning, looked at Bud and felt like he deserved one more chance. So, I took him to another vet this morning who is very well experienced with CKD cats. She was adamant that I shouldn't give up on him, mainly because he's not acting like a cat who has reached the end stage yet. Even with all those markers in the red, she's seen worse and the cat lived for months after that. She gave him more fluids and another Cerenia shot, which should reduce his nausea. She also said to give the appetite stimulant a little more time to take effect. Going to start syringe feedings later on today. I'm a little nervous about that because I've never done that before.

Dealing with this issue has been extremely difficult, but it has definitely been a learning experience.

I'll keep you posted on this thread. Please wish us luck. Thanks again!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I hope that you have truly found a second chance for your beautiful orange boy. Going to another vet was an excellent idea as some vets do have a "list" of conditions that they personally do not treat because they believe that the response will be poor. But that is not necessarily their decision to make. I have only used mirtazapine in pill form and it seemed to work fairly quickly, sometimes with a huge response. I would try anything that might be tasty to him. Once I had luck with high quality cold cuts which I minced up.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi KittyCatCove .

If you haven't syringe-fed before this, there are a few things to know beforehand........

In particular, it's critically important that Buddy doesn't "aspirate" - breathe in - the liquid food. That can happen very easily.....and you must take every precaution so that it doesn't happen.

Here's a post I wrote for someone else - with a video - that explains and tells you all you need to know: Cat Has Crystals + Diabetes.

I'm glad you got that second opinion.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hope he can come out of this crisis and get stabilized so you can have more time together. If he does you can give fluids at home. Many here have done it with a kitty that was in a more advanced stage of CKD. The vet can show you how. I have never given fluids but I have given B12 shots which are given in the same way, Patches didn't seem to mind it one bit.

KittyCatCove

Daddy of 4
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hope he can come out of this crisis and get stabilized so you can have more time together. If he does you can give fluids at home. Many here have done it with a kitty that was in a more advanced stage of CKD. The vet can show you how. I have never given fluids but I have given B12 shots which are given in the same way, Patches didn't seem to mind it one bit.
Thanks Denice. We have another vet visit tomorrow morning. Vet going to give B complex shot, more fluids and possibly a phosphate binder (he should've had that months ago.. that is my fault). I will ask her about giving fluids at home. Do you have any idea how many days the hydration lasts before having to do it again?

Bud is still not eating on his own. He does take whole milk and water on his own. I tried syringe feeding for the very first time, last night and this morning... he did NOT like it one bit. About 50% of it ended up on his chest the floor and my legs. I did manage to get some food in him though. He hasn't thrown up, which is a good thing.

KittyCatCove

Daddy of 4
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hope that you have truly found a second chance for your beautiful orange boy. Going to another vet was an excellent idea as some vets do have a "list" of conditions that they personally do not treat because they believe that the response will be poor. But that is not necessarily their decision to make. I have only used mirtazapine in pill form and it seemed to work fairly quickly, sometimes with a huge response. I would try anything that might be tasty to him. Once I had luck with high quality cold cuts which I minced up.
Thanks Fionasmom. What was the lunchmeat you used? I am desperate to get him to eat anything on his own at this point.

KittyCatCove

Daddy of 4
Adult Cat
Purraise
OH, good. white shadow white shadow has given you the information about syringe feeding that I was going to suggest, but I didn't have a video!

Lighting a candle for your magnificent boy!
View attachment 302434
I pulled up several on YT. Thanks for the candle and well wishes Mamany!

Dealing with this has more difficult that I thought it would be. I've tried to prepare myself as much as possible, but I still feel very overwhelmed. My sleep pattern is being adversely affected... maybe 3-5 hours a night. I feel like a walking zombie most days.

It's really amazing how our cats have become part of us. They aren't like family... they ARE family!

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just noticed that, twice now, you've used the term "whole milk"........exactly what is that?

(IF, by "whole milk".........you mean cow's milk, then you really should know that it can be a problem, because most cats are lactose intolerant. That's probably a recipe for, at least, an upset stomach. He may lap it up - that may give you some satisfaction - but, he shouldn't have it. A lactose-free cat milk, like KMR would be fine.)

I pulled up several [videos] on YT.
I tried syringe feeding for the very first time, last night and this morning... he did NOT like it one bit. About 50% of it ended up on his chest the floor and my legs.
The video I gave you demonstrates how to "place" the food slurry across the front of his tongue, not straight back into his mouth. [Most of the YT videos I've seen show the food being instilled straight on and into - inside - the mouth. That's forcing.....across the tongue is 'offering'.]

If the food is getting on you, then you're not following that example - most likely, you holding him between your legs and syringing it at him....and, of course, he will resist that to the max.

Also.........if that much food is winding up on you and on him...........you're putting too much in his mouth each time. JUST DROPLETS, only drops at a time will do (and then, wait a few moments so the cat can clear his mouth). Think of just how little water cats will take into their mouths when voluntarily drinking/lapping up............that's how much liquid they are accustomed to having in their mouths at a time. A ml is nothing for us.....it's a ton for a cat! A cat will probably have the sensation that he is drowning if/when larger quantities are forced into his mouth. We shouldn't wonder why they struggle so much!

I cautioned about the danger of his aspirating the liquid food..........

Instilling 'large' quantities of liquid food at a time greatly increases the risk of aspiration.

Cats are particularly susceptible to developing a very serious, and often fatal, form of pneumonia, "aspiration pneumonia", should they 'choke' and breathe in foreign material. For a cat who's already compromised, this can seal his fate.

The devil is in the details in all this.

Now, take a look at that video from post #9.......while that cat isn't happy, assess for yourself whether/not what's shown there is easier for both the cat and the person feeding. Notice that there's far less resistance from that cat at the end of the feeding than there was initially.

[you may still have to have him between your legs to 'contain' him, but having the food presented from the side versus straight on should 'ease' the overall experience)

I know I've been very explicit and directive. As I wrote, the detail of the technique will make all the difference. And, I write from many months of personal experience.

You write about how difficult this is turning out to be....it IS difficult. It's physically exhausting. It's emotionally draining. It's sleepless nights. It's interrupted sleep. It's waking up terror-struck. It's crying. It's pleading.

Anything we can do to lessen the burden will make it a tad easier.

Keep posting. Post what is happening. Post your feelings. You'll get support, suggestions and more. Hopefully people with actual experience will be the ones to reply.

There are lots of us who have been where you two are today!

Now...........have you posted a picture (or more:lol:) of Bud recently? If not.........time to pay up:flail:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I went to the local deli and bought a selection of high end cold cuts. Make sure there are not additives or flavorings like onions or garlic. I hope that possibly there is some improvement

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What are his kidney values? my boy has CKD also and has episodes but my vet was able to determine it was pancreatitis that was causing him issues. There is a very accurate test for this now it is called Spec fPL test.

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went to the local deli and bought a selection of high end cold cuts. Make sure there are not additives or flavorings like onions or garlic. I hope that possibly there is some improvement
Can you try some other food other than cold cuts? it could be causing issues, also if you are giving him milk please make sure it is goats milk. Cow milk can make cats sick. Have you tried boiled chicken liver? or chicken thighs or sardines or salmon? I pray that you get to spend a lot more time with you handsome boy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.