Chronic Kidney Failure

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zahava

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I too have a kitty with stage II kidney disease. We lost a kitty a couple years ago to kidney failure. I have but to wonder why it seems to be so common. Anyways, I’m with you and your kitty. It must be hard for both of you being apart. I pray for wellness and peace.

Mi mojo es su mojo.
Oy, I'm so sorry to hear this! We're sending you love, hugs, and prayers for your kitty for healing. I think it's so common because of the food we're feeding them. I've rescued so many cats over the years and the only reasonable way to feed them was to buy large bags of not-so-healthy food. I recently switched all of mine over to Acana but what I think they really need is fresh food prepared for them, with all the added nutrients. I have 7, including a blind cat that has had FUS for most of his 14 years. He eats Royal Canin Urinary. After this scare with Ginge, I think I'm now going to start them on either a raw food diet or something different but doesn't include processed food.

Thank you so much for your prayers! It's really hard to be apart from him but I know that if he stays where he is, he'll get proper care so that I will be able to bring him home soon!:grouphug::lovecat4:

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope all is well with Ginge :)

Was he ill before this crash? As in, was he diagnosed with chronic kidney disease? This sounds very much like acute renal failure, which your vet is treating appropriately with IV fluids. Creatinine of 17, wowza.

zahava

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
yesterday was a whirlwind. i brought ginge home, finally! but it's going to be a long haul - feeding through a tube until he decides he wants to eat on his own, lots of medicine, and a whole new routine. please keep us in ur prayers. thank u so much!!!

zahava

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hope all is well with Ginge :)

Was he ill before this crash? As in, was he diagnosed with chronic kidney disease? This sounds very much like acute renal failure, which your vet is treating appropriately with IV fluids. Creatinine of 17, wowza.
finally brought him home yesterday, after 25 days at the vet hospital. he's holding his own thank G-d! we really have no idea how long he was living with such a high creatinine level. i really thought i was going to lose him that first weekend but he's a fighter. they diagnosed him with chronic kidney disease shortly after i brought him in. yes, 17. i had no idea what that meant until they told me what a normal level is. he'd had some teeth issues, which is why i thought he wasn't eating and therefore losing weight. i am so grateful for everyone's prayers and kind words. :lovecat4:

cat1967

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I pray Ginge will eat on his own and is all well soon. It is a good thing you found what was actually wrong with him. With my poor Benji we didn't. Do update us. Give him and you a big kiss from me!

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How wonderful that Ginge is home at last! It is probably a "toss up" as to who is happier--you or him. For sure, all here are overjoyed!

So now you are probably overwhelmed with the new feeding/medication routine. Been there, done that with three. Don't worry, you will soon get the hang of it. It helps to make a chart for feeding times, medications. Go slow, don't rush. Make sure the tube is flushed with a small amount of water (10ml) both before and after to prevent clogs. Keep the area around the site clean. While Ginge is getting food/medications through the tube now, continue to offer food to encourage eating on his own. Try to relax and don't get discouraged. It does take a bit of time, but you and Ginge have come so far. He is a fighter for sure, and with your help, he will be a winner!

Sending lots of healing thoughts, hugs and prayers...both for you and Ginge! Hang in there!

zahava

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I pray Ginge will eat on his own and is all well soon. It is a good thing you found what was actually wrong with him. With my poor Benji we didn't. Do update us. Give him and you a big kiss from me!
so do i! i actually bought some fresh liver and will cook a bit of it. maybe that will entice him. i give him an appetite stimulant called tripsy, as well as what they prescribed for him at the hospital. i'm so sorry about ur benji :-( how old was he? it's so difficult to tell when they're so sick. yes, i will update about him. thank u so much for ur kind words! we really appreciate them! u betcha i will :-)

zahava

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How wonderful that Ginge is home at last! It is probably a "toss up" as to who is happier--you or him. For sure, all here are overjoyed!

So now you are probably overwhelmed with the new feeding/medication routine. Been there, done that with three. Don't worry, you will soon get the hang of it. It helps to make a chart for feeding times, medications. Go slow, don't rush. Make sure the tube is flushed with a small amount of water (10ml) both before and after to prevent clogs. Keep the area around the site clean. While Ginge is getting food/medications through the tube now, continue to offer food to encourage eating on his own. Try to relax and don't get discouraged. It does take a bit of time, but you and Ginge have come so far. He is a fighter for sure, and with your help, he will be a winner!

Sending lots of healing thoughts, hugs and prayers...both for you and Ginge! Hang in there!
i know! we both couldn't wait til he got home! thank u, i appreciate the encouragement. i actually called the hospital to ask them if it was normal for him to just get up and go to the litterbox. he meows and i wasn't sure, at first, if it meant he was going to hurl or not. but he just went straight to the litterbox. that was rather scary for me as this is all new to me. i had a cat who had diabetes but giving him insulin was a picnic compared to this. i just hope i do right by ginge.

i am so hoping that he'll decide to eat on his own. i'm going to try some fresh liver, cooked well. a friend of mine had a cat with kidney failure and she would only eat smoked salmon. she also gave her tripsy, which is what i'm giving ginge, along with milk thistle and mellit.

yes, he is definitely a fighter! thank u so much for ur encouragement! i really appreciate it

zahava

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hi everyone,

it is with great sadness, and a broken heart, that i tell u ginge crossed the bridge sometime last night, in his sleep. i'll be taking him to the jerusalem forest to bury him, near his siblings. i want to thank all of u for ur encouragement, kinds words, and prayers. may all of ur kitties stay healthy and those who need healing be healed.

blessings from jerusalem,
zahava

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry about Ginge :( I’m glad he was home with you when it happened and that it was peaceful. I’ll light a candle for him this evening. Sending you comforting hugs.

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh, no...I am so very very sorry! My heart is broken too and I am crying along with you. Such a shock. All I can say is that you did everything you could...and more to give Ginge a chance...and he was a fighter. At least Ginge got to come back home and passed peacefully in the place he loved best and near you.

I don't know if you have spoken to the vet about why this may have happened so suddenly? It may be helpful to you. I have done this at length with vets and found their insights helped bring some peace.

When you are emotionally able to do so, we invite you to write about Ginge's life, share favorite pictures of your boy here on the "Crossing the Bridge" forum. You will find much comfort and healing here in the company of others who have traveled this same path and know just what you are going through now. Believe me, there are many of us here...me included.

Please know our hearts go out to you and we will continue to keep you close in thoughts and prayers.

Hugs and blessings.

zahava

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thank u so much, i really appreciate it. the vet who was his main caretaker won't be in til sunday. i'll speak with her then. i think it was so sudden because he was taken off the IV drip. but i'm not a dr. so i can't be sure. when i visited him, he was very lively. still thin, but he had more energy. either that, or i didn't feed him correctly, give him enough water, etc. i just don't know.

thank u for telling me about the "crossing the bridge" forum. i would love to write about ginge and hear from others as well. thank u again for ur thoughts and prayers.

hugs and blessings to u, too :-)

mama africa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hi everyone,

it is with great sadness, and a broken heart, that i tell u ginge crossed the bridge sometime last night, in his sleep. i'll be taking him to the jerusalem forest to bury him, near his siblings. i want to thank all of u for ur encouragement, kinds words, and prayers. may all of ur kitties stay healthy and those who need healing be healed.

blessings from jerusalem,
zahava
Rest in peace, sweet Ginge :redheartpump:

zahava

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m very sorry. Godspeed little friend.

Zahava, it was going to happen no matter what you did. It is an irreversible and unforgiving disease. I’m glad he was home when he passed.

Be well
~Peace~
g
thank u. yeah, i know, but it doesn't make it any easier. i, too, was glad he was home. another piece of my heart is gone...

blessings to u.