Chronic Kidney Failure

zahava

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,

3 weeks ago, I rushed my cat to the veterinary hospital with a creatinine level of 17. What was supposed to be a routine tooth extraction became chronic kidney failure. He's been hospitalized for 3 weeks now and his creatinine level dropped to 7, but has now risen to 8.3. He's on an IV drip, as well as a feeding tube, although he is still eating on his own sometimes. I'm giving him Tripsy, as well as Mellit and Milk Thistle.

I would be so grateful for any advice in this situation. Thank you so much!

Zahava

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi Zahava,

Welcome to The Cat Site, but we are so sorry for the kitty crisis that brought you here.

First, how old is your cat? What is his name? From his picture, he is a beautiful boy! No doubt he is very precious to you. All of us can relate.

While it sounds like your boy initially "crashed", he is in the best place and is getting good veterinary care now. He appears to have at least stabilized and it is encouraging that he is eating on his own at times with the feeding tube, which was a necessity in his condition.

While I have not had a cat in a CKD crisis like yours, I have dealt with CKD twice (one right now on my lap as I type) and another who, with good care and treatment made it to 20 years old. Once stabilized, I should think the prognosis for your kitty, with good Vet care and treatment, should be good.

A very good website dealing with CKD that I and many here use who have CKD kitties is "Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease". www.felinecrf.org. It is very comprehensive, and you can focus on the areas of CKD of most concern to you at the time.

Meanwhile, there may be others here who have been in a similar situation as yours who can provide personal experiences.

I wish you and your kitty all the best and I hope you will keep us updated as you can.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is a very pretty boy. I have not been in this kind of situation, so no real advice. I just wanted to welcome you, and say i am sorry you guys are going through this! Sending hugs. :grouphug:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zahava

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you, I appreciate it. I've dealt with diabetes and fibrosarcoma in 2 of my previous cats, but CKD is new to me.

The cat in the picture is actually a different cat that I had rescued. Sadly, she crossed over the rainbow bridge a couple of years ago. I'm posting a picture of Ginge, the furbaby going through this.

I'm not really sure how old he is as he's a rescue from in front of my old apt building. I'd say he's between 9-11 years old. Yes, he is very precious to me. My whole brood is. I have 7 :redcat:

Thankfully he has stabilized, somewhat, but if his creatinine continues to go up, I don't think there'll be anything more they can do for him. This is my major concern right now.

Love, hugs, and prayers for your kitty. They're not very optimistic for him. Every time I lose one, a piece of my heart goes with him or her. I'm sure you've also experienced this. Thank you for your positive energy!!!!!

Thank you for this information, I'll check out the site right away! I appreciate any help and advice. I hope to write back here with good news!!!
ginge on a chair.jpg

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Gingy is beautiful. Don't obssess over a single slight change in creatinine, like 7 to 8.3. Look at the trend over several days. Sounds like you are doing everything that can be done for Gingy. I hope he gets better. Sending you lots of hugs.

zahava

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your kind words, I really appreciate it! I feel like such a failure, that I didn't catch this in him earlier. I thought it was just a problem with his teeth or his gums. I'm trying to keep positive. He's so happy to see me when I go to visit him. In fact, the vet called me and asked me how Ginge had reacted, if he had been vocal or active. I guess he's really docile when I'm not there because they always seem so shocked to see him moving about when I'm there. G-d-willing we'll get through this. Thank you all so much!

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ginge is such a handsome boy! Look at those perfect markings on his legs and collar and such an intelligent expression on his face. I'll bet he is a smart cat.

For sure he is a lucky fellow to have a caring parent like you. He knows it too...reason he perks up when you visit. This is a positive sign.

Try not to beat yourself up for not catching this sooner. Many here (me included) have been down this path with our own kitties. It is a natural response when you are a responsible, loving parent. But, cats are masters at hiding illnesses as we all know. The most important thing is that you DID catch it, and you are doing everything to get him through this.

Know that many positive healing thoughts and prayers are going out for Ginge... and for you as well.

Hang in there...and think positive!

zahava

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your kind words!!! I've ordered Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease. Thank you so much for pointing me to the site.

Oh, he's definitely a smart one! And he's a hunter, too. Although the latest "presents" he's brought back almost seemed like they were someone's pets. That worries me. Sigh... I just want to bring him home already, but they want to see if his creatinine level stabilizes as they try to lower his IV fluids. I'm hoping to go visit him tomorrow.

Please keep those positive healing thoughts coming. We both appreciate it :lovecat3:

cat1967

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Your Ginge is such a beautiful guy. I am more than sure that you are giving him the best of care so don't blame yourself for not having done anything earlier or so. Cats hide their illness until sometimes it is too late. I have recently had a situation where there was nothing to be done. I hope that he is at home with you today and I wish he gets well real soon.

My thoughts and prayers with you both!

zahava

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for your kind words of encouragement! I know that they tend to hide their illnesses, but I feel like such a bad cat parent for not catching it. I guess we all feel that way and we're always harder on ourselves than anyone else is. I am praying for his recovery, whatever it may be. :lovecat4:

zahava

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have some pretty amazing news for everyone - they did another test for Ginge's creatinine level and it dropped from 8.3 to 7!!!!! Please keep sending healing thoughts and prayers for Ginge! They think it might be a mistake but I don't think so. The only thing is that if it does continue to drop, he'll stay at the hospital and continue treatment. I would only bring him home if his level doesn't continue to go down, and then I'd treat him here. I miss him so much but if his creatinine could go down even more, then I'd be so happy!!!

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yay, good for Ginge and good for you! Those healing vibes are powerful stuff! Glad you were able to visit and saw him perk up. He knows who his mom is :)

zahava

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was so happy to hear this news today!!! Yes, he is always happy to see me! They all tell me how calm and docile he is and can't believe how much he perks up when I get there, lol! The cleaning person was there earlier and she asked me to step outside while she washed the floor. The door was open and all you could hear was Ginge, calling out for me. She couldn't believe it, either! He definitely knows who his mom is :)

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
WOW...that is great news! All here have been wondering today and hoping for this good news...a testament to perhaps the power of worldwide healing thoughts and prayers.

I think Ginge is really trying to get well for YOU. That is a very good sign that he is so vocal in anticipation of your visit. He is definitely "Mom's boy".

The IV fluids are the best thing to get the Creatinine levels down and it appears to be working. It is good Ginge is staying there while the kidneys continue to be flushed. When the Creatinine reaches a manageable level, then his kidneys, which are only filters, can take over with the aid of renal food and perhaps periodic sub-q fluids depending upon which stage he is at. Your vet will advise going forward I am sure.

My girl "Light" (Stage II CKD) is on my lap as I type and sends Ginge warm purrs. She says "keep that Creatinine level going down...and hang in there"!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for your kind words of encouragement! I know that they tend to hide their illnesses, but I feel like such a bad cat parent for not catching it. I guess we all feel that way and we're always harder on ourselves than anyone else is. I am praying for his recovery, whatever it may be. :lovecat4:
I'm glad he's improving!!! =)
I don't know much about kidney disease in cats, but did they specify this was chronic? I hope he can come home ASAP and keep those levels where they belong!!

kittypa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I too have a kitty with stage II kidney disease. We lost a kitty a couple years ago to kidney failure. I have but to wonder why it seems to be so common. Anyways, I’m with you and your kitty. It must be hard for both of you being apart. I pray for wellness and peace.

Mi mojo es su mojo.

zahava

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I believe in miracles!!! He's been there now for over 3 weeks. I'm praying that the creatinine goes down even more. He's a fighter, this guy. We so appreciate everyone's healing thoughts and prayers. I think you may be right. Seriously, when I walk through that door and the moment he sees me, he starts his purrmeow and his motor just goes!

We're sending your girl Light lots of love, hugs, and prayers :grouphug: I'll give him your message when I see him next. I was planning to bring him home on Tuesday, if his levels didn't go down but they'll keep him if they do. I miss him beyond belief but if lower levels mean him staying there, then so be it.

Thank you so much!!!!!