Changing Foods Again - Tiki Cat And Soulistic

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
P poivre Did you look at the After Dark varieties? They list Chicken Liver, Chicken Gizzard, and Chicken Heart in the ingredients. I don't see where that changed.

poivre

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Megan: At this point in time I am just going to stick with what they are happy with ... and guess what!!

I just returned from the Pet store to get some more for them and wonder of wonders they brought me 2 cases of the Puka Puka chicken (THE OLD STUFF!!) with the purple cat on the label and lo and behold there it was for all to see, shredded chicken BREAST!! I was so elated and I asked how come this happened and they said they are still getting rid of the old and sometimes send them to us.
Needless to say I grabbed every case and had them promise me that they would save every purple cat case that comes in for me!!
NOW let's see what happens when they go back to the original one that they loved.
Cats are so strange who knows how they will react. Tonight's dinner will tell the "(cat)tail".
Wish me luck! :-)
And thanks for all your suggestions and help.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
P poivre -- I bought up a bunch of older Tiki foods, too, when I realized they'd changed the chicken they use. And the recipe. (There's an old thread about this somewhere, about when they were announcing After Dark, the demise of Gourmet Carnivore, and other news...) I hope your cats will eat it. I do wish you luck!

And since it came up in this thread... Further on the After Dark chicken food with chicken (undefined), gizzard, heart, and liver. That combination of chicken ingredients is roughly the same as what used to be in one of the Gourmet Carnivore foods, "Chicken and Liver," though that one specifically said "chicken breast." That food has changed in its short life span, too: the chicken shreds shrank (shrunk?) and our cats stopped wanting to eat it, though I'm not sure if any of hte other ingredients changed. (Tiki has a history of making small recipe changes: I found that out with their Puka Puka...) "Chicken and Liver" and "Beef Liver and Chicken" (same shrunken shred problem) from Gourmet Carnivore used to be our cats' favorites but now I have to use treats to get them to eat. The new After Dark is definitely a bit different: it has tuna oil and Gourmet Carnivore had olive oil.

All of which is to say a big "good luck" to you, poivre, with your feeding!

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Megan: At this point in time I am just going to stick with what they are happy with ... and guess what!!

I just returned from the Pet store to get some more for them and wonder of wonders they brought me 2 cases of the Puka Puka chicken (THE OLD STUFF!!) with the purple cat on the label and lo and behold there it was for all to see, shredded chicken BREAST!! I was so elated and I asked how come this happened and they said they are still getting rid of the old and sometimes send them to us.
Needless to say I grabbed every case and had them promise me that they would save every purple cat case that comes in for me!!
NOW let's see what happens when they go back to the original one that they loved.
Cats are so strange who knows how they will react. Tonight's dinner will tell the "(cat)tail".
Wish me luck! :)
And thanks for all your suggestions and help.
Have you opened a can to see if it looks like the old recipe? The FDA allows companies to change formulas and use up the old labels they've already printed for 6 months.

States are supposed to over-ride FDA jurisdiction on pet food, so some states (like California") mandate that the ingredients and labels have to match...other states - not so much.

poivre

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you opened a can to see if it looks like the old recipe? The FDA allows companies to change formulas and use up the old labels they've already printed for 6 months.

States are supposed to over-ride FDA jurisdiction on pet food, so some states (like California") mandate that the ingredients and labels have to match...other states - not so much.
Wow! That is infuriating to me. So maybe that's why one of my cat's didn't bother eating most of her dinner. Back to the old grind. Can't lose for winning. :-(

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your state may be one that requires "true" labels...it's sometimes hard to find one rule in the pile of state regulations though. :angryfire: A lot of states just default to FDA and AAFCO guidance.

I was just wondering if the food looked like the old recipe or not.

poivre

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Your state may be one that requires "true" labels...it's sometimes hard to find one rule in the pile of state regulations though. :angryfire: A lot of states just default to FDA and AAFCO guidance.

I was just wondering if the food looked like the old recipe or not.
Yes it does -- exactly.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Complicating the problem with the six-month label rule is the fact that there are multiple older recipes. P poivre and I have been on this hot issue for a while: here's the old thread (it's here!) I mentioned earlier in this thread. The old thread is the one where I noted some of the differences in various editions of Tiki's Puka Puka over the years.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
Thankfully my cat isnt a picky eater. She tries to eat everything -cat food, dog food, bird food, people food (like where did she come from?)

And I'm choosing not to stress over small changes in the formulas.

But that is frustrating about the labels. I guess its economical but kinda dishonest.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes it does -- exactly.
If it looks exactly the same, then it may very well be the old formula. Maybe your girl who didn't want to eat much dinner is just having an "off" day? I track every ounce my cats eat, and my 9 month old's appetite swings pretty wildly during the week, but her weekly average food stays fairly consistent.

poivre

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If it looks exactly the same, then it may very well be the old formula. Maybe your girl who didn't want to eat much dinner is just having an "off" day? I track every ounce my cats eat, and my 9 month old's appetite swings pretty wildly during the week, but her weekly average food stays fairly consistent.
I am going to try something new this morning for breakfast and see if it works. I suspect I give them too much at one sitting. They eat better when I only divide 1/2 of the 6 oz. can between them and then when they finish it fairly quickly I add another 1/2 of a 3 oz can between them and they eat that right up too. And then I will repeat the same thing at dinnertime. Let's see...

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
orange&white orange&white how do you track that?
I bought a shipping/postage scale at the beginning of March. It's my new toy! :lovecat2:

I weigh the food that goes on the saucer, then if Farrell doesn't eat everything that meal, I weigh how much she didn't eat. I keep a spreadsheet of daily food and weekly average.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am going to try something new this morning for breakfast and see if it works. I suspect I give them too much at one sitting. They eat better when I only divide 1/2 of the 6 oz. can between them and then when they finish it fairly quickly I add another 1/2 of a 3 oz can between them and they eat that right up too. And then I will repeat the same thing at dinnertime. Let's see...
Yeah, sometimes a "pile" of food may make them not want to eat as much as if it looks like there might be a "food shortage" on the plate. lol Looking forward to seeing how that plan works for your kitties.

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat, Ivy, seems to only like pate textures. We tried tiki cat and she nibbled on it a little, I can't remember which flavor it was (have it written down somewhere). I feel like we have tried so many brands now. Nutro, Soulistic, Authority, First Mate, 2 of the Weruva ones. I know there was a couple more.
So far she has only seemed to like Wellness, and the Trader Joe's Brand. They are the only ones she actually finished all I gave her.

I'm going to try out some Fromm Pate, and one called Whole Earth.

I wish I knew what her diet was like before, because I think it would help figuring it out now.
My cats love whole earth duck or beef pate, Merrick rabbit, soulistic chicken dinner pate& shreds in Gelee

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats love whole earth duck or beef pate, Merrick rabbit, soulistic chicken dinner pate& shreds in Gelee
I just ordered some WholeEarth. But I got the gravy kinds because one of my cats doesn't like pate, she likes the gravy. I was feeding Tiki Cat but it is too expensive so I added Whole Earth to the rotation so I could spread out the Tiki Cat farther so I don't have to buy it as often. I still like Tiki Cat though.

I hope they like the Whole Earth.

remmiebrandt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Let's just say I am NOT happy about the recent hushed slip in of a few ingredients to Maggie's current diet that has me absolutely miffed with the company.
She was doing so well on it too!

Anyways.... I am going to add more of a brand variety to her diet.

I've looked into countless brands then can across Tiki Cat After Dark. Thoughts before I make the order?

• Chicken Broth, Chicken, Chicken Liver, Chicken Gizzard, Chicken Heart, Tricalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Magnesium Sulfate, Taurine, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid (Source Of Vitamin C), Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Niacin (Vitamin B3), Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Vitamin A Supplement, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Calcium Iodate, Calcium Pantothenate, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin K3 Supplement.
The second brand that is local and easily obtainable is Soulistic.

Do other people mix up brands at times? What is your thought on that or is it just best to stick to one?

I'd have her Rad Cat but the little stinker still won't go for it.
#TIKI and #WERUVA brand #catfood have added toxic #mendione = #bisulfate -#vitaminK (synthetic) which makes it untenable. Weruva always had it but Tiki just joined the bandwagon which is maddening. These companies are supposed to be trying to make healthier foods - not get kickbacks from the vets for making our animals sick. I also just looked up Tiki #Koolina Luau - and they did remove the mendione but they snuck in #Copper #sulfate #pentahydrate which causes liver failure. A Veterinarian Takes a Stand Against a Common Pet Food Supplement
Weruva does have a #truluxe #trulux canned cat food it makes without mendione but the price is unaffordable. It sells for something close to $40 a case. So does Wellness #DivineDuo and #SignatureSelects - and neither of those brands have ingredients free from toxins and fillers. Why in the hell would you pay $1.50 to $2.00 a can for toxic filler food when you can buy a whole, organic chicken for $5? As far as I'm concerned, at this point, I'll take my chances feeding a 50% diet of cooked, organic, human meat to my cats and supplement that with a rotational diet of a wide variety of canned cat food. I will never again have loyalty to any brand since they are all always reformulating cheaper and cheaper thinking we are all too stupid too notice.

remmiebrandt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our store has had the new carrageenan free Core varieties for the last two months so you may be able to find it as well in your area. Wellness also removed the carrageenan from their minced / cubed / sliced canned line so that's an improvement although it still has the starchy veggies, peas, carrots, etc. Core would be your better option.
Be careful of Core. It has a lot of sneaky, less well known ingredients that are actually also toxic. I am so angry wellness moved their #DivineDuo food over to #Core because they destroyed the food - raising the price to almost $2 a can and adding $toxins and #fillers. So Angry At #wellness #core #divineduos #reformulated #catfood