So Angry At #wellness #core #divineduos #reformulated #catfood

remmiebrandt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am so angry. I thought I found a good food for my cats that they liked, but greed, nothing but pure food industry greed and lack of any meaniful regulation caused them to repackage, rebrand and reformulate the food into what in my opinion is $2 a can of junk. So damn disappointed. Look what they did.

Wellness CORE Divine Duos Chicken Pate & Diced Duck in Gravy Grain-Free Wet Cat Food, 2.8-oz, case of 12

Disgusted. You find a decent pet food and the company thinks - gee - these idiots are willing to pay $1.50 for a can of food that costs us .30 cents to make, I bet we can rebrand it and charge $2. And while we’re at it - lets change the formula and add dangerous crap fillers. If they’re stupid enough not to figure out by repackaging food from 24 in a case, to 12 in a case - increasing our net profit by $5 -6 a case - they won’t realize the formula change. Let’s see what we have now.

ALSO IF YOU ARE FEEDING THIS FOOD BECAUSE IT APPEARS ON TANYA’S CRF CHART - BETTER LOOK AGAIN. HER CHART WAS COMPOSED BEFORE THIS NEW RE-FORMULATION - THE HIGH AMOUNT OF POTATOE STARCH AND ALL THE SALTS ADDED MIGHT WELL CHANGE THE POSITION IN THE CHART - NOT TO MENTION AFFECT THE ABSORBTION OF THE OTHER MEDICATIONS AND FLUIDS YOUR CAT IS TAKING.

Broccoli. Lets add some broccoli. The cats won’t eat the carrots so now let’s put more veggies that cats don’t need and won’t eat so we can claim it’s a fully nutritional food but then cut down on the actual meat and potatoes we source and process from oversees. Let’s increase the amount of potatoe starch too - more carbs cats also don’t process well. Then let’s really screw them up by adding all sorts of things that the vets will thank us for when the cats start increasing their water intake, vomiting and having bowel problems. If you feed a cat 3 or 4 cans of food every day for any length of time, these fillers are adding up and clearly overpowering any nutritional value in this food.

Broccoli - highly gassy & difficult to digest though not toxic - most cats just pick out the veggie bits from the food anyway so whatever nutritional value they are alleged to provide as part of the food’s “complete” nutrition - they aren’t getting.

Potatoe Starch

This is what manufactures use to hold KIBBLE together. Cats have zero nutritional need for potatoes or starch and in fact, if the potatoes are not organic or properly cooked - can cause myriad of digestion problems. Potatoes have been linked to causing diabetes - increased thirst and urination - in cats.

Potato should, ideally, never be part of their daily diet - Can cats eat potatoes

Potato starch is starch extracted from potatoes. The cells of the root tubers of the potato plant contain starch grains (leucoplasts). To extract the starch, the potatoes are crushed; the starch grains are released from the destroyed cells. The starch is then washed out and dried to powder.

Potato starch contains approximately 800 ppm phosphate bound to the starch; this increases the viscosity and gives the solution a slightly anionic character, a low gelatinisation temperature of approximately 60 °C (140 °F),[1] and high swelling power. (In other words - it makes the cat think its full).

Potato starch - Wikipedia

Potatoes can be toxic unless cooked - and nothing here says the ones used are cooked or organic.

Raw Potato Danger

Potatoes contain glycoalkaloid solanine, which is poisonous to your feline pal. Green potatoes, uncooked potatoes and raw peels contain this alkaloid and are toxic. If Max chows down on raw potatoes, he's likely to get an upset stomach. The more he eats, the more dangerous the situation becomes. Potatoes belong to a family of plants called Solanaceae, the same family as tomatoes and nightshade. All of these are poisonous to cats.

Is a Raw Potato Harmful to a Cat?

Potassium Chloride

Why Potassium Chloride Is Not Always a Safe Salt Substitute! Salt substitutes with potassium chloride are a good way to get extra potassium and cut back on sodium. But too much potassium can be deadly! People have been warned that salt (sodium chloride) is dangerous, especially for people with high blood pressure

https://www.peoplespharmacy.com/.../why-potassium-chloride-is-not-always-a-safe

Like salt (aka sodium chloride), potassium chloride provides a salty flavor and can also often play other functional roles (e.g. microbial management, protein modification, flavor enhancement) that impacts the taste, texture, and shelf life of food products.

Potassium Chloride 201 Uses in Food | Cargill

Potassium Chloride and Potassium Gluconate are supplements that are used to increase the amount of potassium in your pet's blood. Dogs and cats that have a deficiency of potassium usually have an underlying condition such as a chronic kidney condition or kidney failure

Potassium Supplements - Pet, Dog and Cat Medication and Prescription List | petMD

tricalcium phosphate

What is tricalcium phosphate side effects?

Less serious side effects of calcium phosphate, tribasic may include:

• nausea or vomiting;
  • decreased appetite;
  • constipation;
  • dry mouth or increased thirst; or.
  • increased urination.
Calcium phosphate, tribasic Side Effects in Detail - Drugs.com

This is also ACIDIC

Is sodium carbonate harmful?

Sodium carbonate

Sodium carbonate is ONLY slightly toxic, but large doses may be corrosive to the gastro-intestinal tract where symptoms may include severe abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhea, collapse and death. Skin Contact: Excessive contact may cause irritation with blistering and redness

Calcium phosphate, tribasic Side Effects in Detail - Drugs.com

THIS IS ALSO ALKALINE -so what’s the point? To counterbalance the from the tricalcium phosphate? After all - its only slightly toxic. But so is Sodium Selenite - MORE SALT, MORE TOXICITY.

Sodium Selenite

Sodium selenite can be controversial substance when it's used in a dog food recipe. That's because although the mineral is essential for normal cell function in all animals, selenium can be toxic in high doses.

www.dogfoodadvisor.com/red-flag-ingredients/selenium-dog-food/

Taking doses above 400 mcg can increase the risk of developing selenium toxicity. Taking lower doses long-term can increase the risk of developing diabetes. High doses of selenium can cause significant side effects including nausea, vomiting, nail changes, loss of energy, and irritability.

https://www.webmd.com/vitamins.../ingredientmono-1003-selenium.aspx?...1003...

Magnesium sulfate

Magnesium sulfate, commonly known as Epsom salt, is a mineral. It works by replacing magnesium in the body and increasing water in the intestines. Magnesium sulfate can be used orally as a laxative to relieve occasional constipation, and to treat low levels of magnesium.

Magnesium Sulfate (Epsom Salt) - Side Effects, Dosage, Interactions - Drugs

Magnesium sulfate taken orally can make it harder for your body to absorb other medications you take by mouth, especially antibiotics. Avoid taking other medicines within 2 hours before or after you take magnesium sulfate as a laxative.

www.uofmhealth.org/health-library/d00468a1

So is Epsom salt added to counteract the constipation effect of adding tricalcium phosphate?

Guar Gum, Xanthan Gum, Locust Bean Gum - any more gums they could possibly add as fillers?

Is this a food you want to pay almost $2 a can for? Add a healthy dose of Mendione and I’d say you have the perfect toxic cocktail.

if your cat is presenting with symptoms that mimic kidney, diabetes, ibs or other diseases - it might just be the food s/he is eating is causing the symptoms. Change foods or at least, rotate them out so these ingredients do not hurt their health.

Salt = as if there aren’t enough salts added in disguise = SALT is specifically added.

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think you’re kinda jumping the gun. This food wasn’t good to begin with. I never fed it for that reason. This is also the reason I rotational feed. So when things like this happen you can just cut it from the rotation and move on with life. Their wellness slelects and core canned are far better.
They were asked by many many people to remove carrageenan from their foods so they did that. But they needed something to make it more pate-y. That’s where the gums come in. So would you have preferred carrageenan?
All of these other minerals they include are for a purpose and the majority aren’t even in high enough amounts to be dangerous. They are simply there for maintenance
Also salt has to be included. Salt is a necessary nutrient. There are aaffco rules that these companies have to follow. How they do it is up to them. If it really bothers you make your own food. 80% meat, 10% organ, 10% bones. There you go now you don’t have to worry about all those naughty “toxic” chemicals you don’t like. Because unfortunetly it’s in everything commercially made for pets. Good luck.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, toxic is a material safety data sheet that specifically lists organ damage. This is a WHOLE lot more than naughty.
I fed Wellness until early 2016 when they did a previous recipe change and he stopped eating it.
When a caring person has a cat that won't eat just anything, and isn't willing to go the home-made route, there's no percentage in giving that same person a bad time.
If you can't say anything reasonable, take the high road and don't post.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

remmiebrandt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, toxic is a material safety data sheet that specifically lists organ damage. This is a WHOLE lot more than naughty.
I fed Wellness until end of 2016 when they did a previous recipe change and he stopped eating it.
When a caring person has a cat that won't eat just anything, and isn't willing to go the home-made route, there's no percentage in giving that same person a bad time.
If you can't say anything nice, take the high road and don't post.
Yes you are right. Why do we have to CHOOSE which TOXIC POISON to feed our cats? The ingredients causes liver failure, kidney failure, diabetes and frankly I checked because the new food caused my cats to vomit more and they started drinking like crazy plus their stool started smelling much worse then usual. I temporarily switched back to Fancy Feast while I am investigating other foods. I dropped Tiki when they started ADDING mendione and copper to their foods. I can't really afford the Truluxe but I bought a few cans anyway as a rotation and unfortunately, my cats don't really like it. They hate the ORGANIX which I think is the best food out there - if I ever have kittens again - I'm going to start them on ORGANIX right from the start - Unless THEY change their formula. I tried the Fromm Family foods too and they also won't eat it. It is so hard to find a healthy food they like but it shouldn't be hard. ALL FOODS should be healthy. If you can buy a can of human grade shredded organic chicken from Costco for .98 cents - why in the hell can't buy a decent cat food with nothing much added except maybe Taurine? They don't need carbs, starches, veggies, or all those toxic minerals and salts. They just don't. Maybe now since we have a new administration that is rehauling the FDA - if we ALL take the time to snail mail a letter to the new head - we can enforce better regulations and knock AAFCO down from their pedestal because they clearly are getting kickbacks from the veterianary lobbyists. They certainly haven't been looking out for our pets.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They certainly haven't been looking out for our pets
No, they have not. Menadione is GRAS (generally regarded as safe) by the AAFCO based on research done on poultry.
Last I checked chickens et al don't live for 12, 15, 18 or more years. It's so frustrating.
I got super lucky and stumbled onto a local pet store that had accidentally overstocked on the previous formula of Tiki Cat, so I hoarded a bunch for storage in my chilly basement due to the fact that he's actually eating it, and got some for my nearby shelter, but once that's gone, that's that.
Say, R remmiebrandt have you tried Merrick Backcountry? Like you I'm doing a rotation menu as well, and in some cases I'm stuck since the Big Guy just won't eat whatever (to the point I've started adding some Milk Thistle for liver support).
Abound, American Journey, GoodLife, RedBarn, Pure Vita are some I've tried but with the caveat I haven't looked at ingredients lately for Redbarn or Pure Vita.

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well when cats start dropping like flies from this food then you’ll have a case until then I would move on and not get so upset cus these things happen constantly and will never stop

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
these things happen constantly and will never stop
That's true, no argument here on that.
However, as was mentioned, if we do flood the AAFCO with calls, emails, texts et al., and vote with our dollars, we as consumers can still make a difference and I for one hate the idea that my pet, whether a dog, cat, iguana or what have you, is at risk because an industry has decided it's better to make a buck than to be ethical.
I don't know how truthaboutpetfood . com is regarded by this site, but that site owner is doing her best to alert people as well as to try and take on 'city hall'.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
oh, and Luvsome is another I've tried--these are wet foods by the way. Also duckpond duckpond has some foods that the feline members of the household have given the thumbs up to.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, no surprise here. The entire pet food industry is a scam. You either gotta accept it or make your own food.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From personal experience i know i can drive myself nuts with different foods, and ingredients. I have some ingredients such as Carrageenan, Agar-Agar, and Spinach that i just will not buy. I also will not normally buy a wet food with many grains, peas, potatoes, fruits and veggies in them. I try to keep to the High protein, moderate fat, and low carb foods. I do rotate several brands so the same stuff i don't like isn't in all of them. Also the rotation helps if they change a food.

Right now my cats get a few of the Weruva flavors, Tiki after dark and the regular chicken ones, occasionally a fish flavor from tiki. normally if im feeding fish i go with Earthborns catalina catch. I also feed some of the nutro flavors, minced chicken and sliced turkey. I occasional feed nulo, the minced flavors only. I am trying the American journey wet foods right now, the in gravy, the jury is still out on this one. I have also started trying a few of almo nature foods now that they are balanced, we tried the chicken and apple today, jury is still out. I occasionally feed some of against the grain chicken, and fussie cat super premium chicken and egg. I also throw in some fancy feast classics, or what ever new i find that looks good. So yes, i have a big rotation with my 4. and a few strays. sometimes i think i have tried every food out there, but these are the ones my guys will normally eat. They will not normally eat wellness, before the change or after, wet or dry.

I do also free feed Dr. Elseys dry. It works for us :)

Georgia on my Mind

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, no surprise here. The entire pet food industry is a scam. You either gotta accept it or make your own food.
Hi Neo,
I respectfully disagree. We shouldn't just have to accept it. The vast majority of cat guardian's are not going to home cook their food. Pet companies should be held to the same standard as say, baby food manufacturers. If ingredients that may or may not be toxic in the long run were included in baby food it would not be tolerated and it should not be tolerated for our fur babies.
I don't know if this is against the rules, but let's organize and as mentioned by Fursballmom and Remmiebrandt and flood letters to the AAFCO, Congress, Pet Food Manufacturers. Maybe we can come up with a template letter and then blast it to all of them.
What do you all think?

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Neo,
I respectfully disagree. We shouldn't just have to accept it. The vast majority of cat guardian's are not going to home cook their food. Pet companies should be held to the same standard as say, baby food manufacturers. If ingredients that may or may not be toxic in the long run were included in baby food it would not be tolerated and it should not be tolerated for our fur babies.
I don't know if this is against the rules, but let's organize and as mentioned by Fursballmom and Remmiebrandt and flood letters to the AAFCO, Congress, Pet Food Manufacturers. Maybe we can come up with a template letter and then blast it to all of them.
What do you all think?
I hope your plan works, I really do.
Realistically though, unless everyone starts making their own food, the pet food industry won’t change. They are still making profit. I don’t foresee the pet food industry being better any time soon- even the human food industry has many dirty little secrets.

I guess I’m just a pessimist.

Georgia on my Mind

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We should probably have three templates:

AAFCO
Pet Food Companies
Congress

Or do think that’s overkill? And I’ll definitely take one template.

Let’s do this!:yess:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hmmm, I'm wondering, if we could get the aafco to shape up the manufacturers would/should have to comply, ...anyway I would take the aafco template

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ok, sounds like we're on. It isn't just going to be you 'n me, is it? I guess we'll find out ;)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - an update, after some research I'm going to hand flag bearing duties over to two other people who have devoted their lives to advocating about pet food.
One is Molly Morrissette at poisonedpets . com
The other is Susan Thixton at truthaboutpetfood . com
Ms Thixton also has a petition on Care2, thepetitionsite . com, Is It Feed or Food, which appears to still be open for signatures (and so, I did), however there's a comment at the bottom of the petition indicating she brought it to a meeting of the AAFCO six months ago.
There may be others also involved with advocacy regarding this issue.

terriesdoll

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I stopped feeding Wellness Core because they changed the formula without notice and it made my guy very sick. It cost me $200. I now feed Stella and Chewy freeze dried and make sure to check each bag. Feeding 2 cats the freeze dried isn't much more than feeding them the can Core and I save a lot on litter. There poop has no smell and is easy to scoop and they only go once a day.