Caught A Feral Cat... And I Need Some Advice

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've tried the wand toy with her, but it only scares her. Not sure if someone hit her before with a stick or something, that would explain her fear of them. I'll keep up with the cheese balls, she absolutely loves to play with me with those. Her eyes get all big, pupils dilated like she's on a hunt. Makes me laugh.
Have you tried string or ribbon toys? If she doesn't like sticks then one of those might be good for her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kimmer3d

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you tried string or ribbon toys? If she doesn't like sticks then one of those might be good for her.

I tried a string and she just stared at me waving it on the ground. So i left it, and as soon as i moved away, she went and started to pull at it with her mouth. But she won't play with me. I think she's never played with a string before. She might need time to adjust.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried feeding her from your lap. Sitting on the floor or laying down with the plate on you but don’t move while she eats. If you can get her to investigate your body and it does not offer a threat it might help her. I usually sit down and don’t look at the kitties but hold my arm towards the floor with the back of my hand towards the cat to sniff. I don’t move. Often I have to do this many times before the cat gets curious enough to come sniff. It’s a way to start. I also put a hairbrush on the floor and leave it as a toy. Once it has their scent then I let them see me pick it up and put it back down. Eventually I try to use that to pet. The brush may feel very good to her and I have one feral that totally accepted petting after feeling the brushing. The fact that she plays is very good. Keep trying the string and if she will play with you with that or a ribbon then you can eventually try pulling it past you. Another way to start her getting more trusting of your body. You have actually made great progress with her. Especially since there are doggies in the house. I think the advice of getting the doggie scent disguised is excellent and might help. The fact that she watched you means she is interested. Cats are curious and I think she is just taking her time to figure things out. She is a beautiful kitty and you’re doing a great job with her. She sounds like she is a very happy cat. Great job! Thank you for the update. We love hearing all the progress you have made!

kimmer3d

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you tried feeding her from your lap. Sitting on the floor or laying down with the plate on you but don’t move while she eats. If you can get her to investigate your body and it does not offer a threat it might help her. I usually sit down and don’t look at the kitties but hold my arm towards the floor with the back of my hand towards the cat to sniff. I don’t move. Often I have to do this many times before the cat gets curious enough to come sniff. It’s a way to start. I also put a hairbrush on the floor and leave it as a toy. Once it has their scent then I let them see me pick it up and put it back down. Eventually I try to use that to pet. The brush may feel very good to her and I have one feral that totally accepted petting after feeling the brushing. The fact that she plays is very good. Keep trying the string and if she will play with you with that or a ribbon then you can eventually try pulling it past you. Another way to start her getting more trusting of your body. You have actually made great progress with her. Especially since there are doggies in the house. I think the advice of getting the doggie scent disguised is excellent and might help. The fact that she watched you means she is interested. Cats are curious and I think she is just taking her time to figure things out. She is a beautiful kitty and you’re doing a great job with her. She sounds like she is a very happy cat. Great job! Thank you for the update. We love hearing all the progress you have made!
Thank you for the great advice! Lily is playing on her own right now, she sounds very happy! I'll leave a brush for her, and I will definitely try feeding her from my lap, never thought of that, and see if she comes. I've left some dirty clothes on the floor for her, and she likes to lay in them, and actually brings her mouse toys and leaves them on the clothes.

I'm sure if i didn't have my dogs, she'd be a lot less frightened, but there's nothing i can do about that. My dogs love cats, and hopefully she'll come around and stay with us downstairs. It might take a year, but i'm a very patient person ;)

kimmer3d

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Don't expect too much, too soon, either. Domesticating a feral/semi feral can take quite a long time and quite some effort and patience....some more than others. Ask me how I know this....

She's a beauty, btw.
Yeah. I totally agree. I don't have any experience with ferals, this is my first time. She's really a lovely cat, very frightened, but lovely.

When i'm done with my work later this evening, i think i'll have a glass of wine and read your thread. ;)

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've left some dirty clothes on the floor for her, and she likes to lay in them, and actually brings her mouse toys and leaves them on the clothes.
That is a VERY good sign. It shows that she has not only accepted you, but finds you comforting. Like Jcatbird Jcatbird suggested trying to feed her out of your lap or even out of your hand is a good next step, if she starts to associate your hands with food then that could go a long way to helping her get over her fear of them.

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When i'm done with my work later this evening, i think i'll have a glass of wine and read your thread. ;)
very long...may require a few BOTTLES, actually. Was all new to me, the folks here pulled us (me AND Bug) through, tabbytom tabbytom right in the thick of it, all the way.

You'll see 9 pages of posts before I even got Bug INDOORS. His hormones, prior to neuter, whacked him out, roaming, very aggressive, difficult. I had no idea "going in" it would require such long term commitment...but I swore I'd make his life easier....no matter what.

I don't want to interrupt your thread...back to you.

Last edited:

kimmer3d

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That is a VERY good sign. It shows that she has not only accepted you, but finds you comforting. Like Jcatbird Jcatbird suggested trying to feed her out of your lap or even out of your hand is a good next step, if she starts to associate your hands with food then that could go a long way to helping her get over her fear of them.
Yeah. I'm going to try feeding her on my lap later today. See how that goes. Such great advice from everyone here. I'm so grateful :)

kimmer3d

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
very long...may require a few BOTTLES, actually. Was all new to me, the folks here pulled us (me AND Bug) through, tabbytom tabbytom right in the thick of it, all the way.

You'll see 9 pages of posts before I even got Bug INDOORS. His hormones, prior to neuter, whacked him out, roaming, very aggressive, difficult. I had no idea "going in" it would require such long term commitment...but I swore I'd make his life easier....no matter what.

I don't want to interrupt your thread...back to you.
You are not interrupting this thread at all, i need and appreciate to hear from experiences like yours with feral cats. It makes me realize that i'm not alone in this and that it can be done. We all want the best for our kitties :D

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You certainly are not alone. Many here are going through similar things. Some of us have come out the other side! :lol:
Some of us are at various stages of the process. You’re doing great.
Trying the plate in the lap may not work the first time, or second but let her see you trying it. Give her time to check out the situation but if she refuses to come eat then try it next to you on the floor. Only walk away after giving it some time but do it at every feeding. It takes persistence. Let us know how it starts out. :wave3:

kimmer3d

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You certainly are not alone. Many here are going through similar things. Some of us have come out the other side! :lol:
Some of us are at various stages of the process. You’re doing great.
Trying the plate in the lap may not work the first time, or second but let her see you trying it. Give her time to check out the situation but if she refuses to come eat then try it next to you on the floor. Only walk away after giving it some time but do it at every feeding. It takes persistence. Let us know how it starts out. :wave3:
She might not come on my lap tonight, but i'm going to keep trying. She is still pretty frightened of me, the big human, but hopefully one day she'll come. Seeing it through her eyes, this is still very new, and i seriously doubt she'd ever had real human contact before me. And if she did, it wasn't good. My poor little girl. But now she is safe and warm with a full belly :)

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She might not come on my lap tonight, but i'm going to keep trying. She is still pretty frightened of me, the big human, but hopefully one day she'll come. Seeing it through her eyes, this is still very new, and i seriously doubt she'd ever had real human contact before me. And if she did, it wasn't good. My poor little girl. But now she is safe and warm with a full belly :)
That's the thing, she's not frightened of you. If she was she'd hide whenever you came near her instead of sitting out in the open letting you take pictures of her and playing with cheeseballs. The fact that she sleeps on your dirty clothes speaks volumes about just how comfortable she is around you.

Some Cats are just more aloof than others and it may just be that she's one who would rather do her own thing and if she is it may or may not change. Not all Cats will be lap Cats or even friendly, some of them will come around eventually but there's always those few who just won't no matter how hard we try.

But like you said, the important thing is that she's safe, warm, and not hungry.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
She might not come on my lap tonight, but i'm going to keep trying. She is still pretty frightened of me, the big human,
If feeding from your lap does not help, hand feed her. This way, she'll get use to your hand and won't be weary about it.

Try feeding with your hand and if she takes from your hand after every bite, praise her for being a clever cat. After she has taken a few bites from you hand, take the opportunity to stroke her chin since your hand is there. Leather get use to it and slowly make progress.

Always praise her for doing the right things. Praise her when she's doing nothing, like if she's just sitting or lying down, just say in a cheerful and encouraging tone, 'Good gal, lie there and rest'. Always call her name when food is served, in other words, it may sound strange to you, speak to her as if you're communicating with someone whether she response or not but I can tell you this, through all these communications, she'll understand you and her vocabulary will start building up.

kimmer3d

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's the thing, she's not frightened of you. If she was she'd hide whenever you came near her instead of sitting out in the open letting you take pictures of her and playing with cheeseballs. The fact that she sleeps on your dirty clothes speaks volumes about just how comfortable she is around you.

Some Cats are just more aloof than others and it may just be that she's one who would rather do her own thing and if she is it may or may not change. Not all Cats will be lap Cats or even friendly, some of them will come around eventually but there's always those few who just won't no matter how hard we try.

But like you said, the important thing is that she's safe, warm, and not hungry.
That's so true. She's very different from my Siamese who hated 'not' being on my lap or around my neck. I'm happy knowing that i saved her from a horrible short life outdoors. The day before i caught her, i saw her crossing the busy road. If the cars didn't kill her, the the coyotes or the fishers would have. Still, i have a good feeling about her... just the way she looks at me sometimes... i feel we are connecting.

kimmer3d

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If feeding from your lap does not help, hand feed her. This way, she'll get use to your hand and won't be weary about it.

Try feeding with your hand and if she takes from your hand after every bite, praise her for being a clever cat. After she has taken a few bites from you hand, take the opportunity to stroke her chin since your hand is there. Leather get use to it and slowly make progress.

Always praise her for doing the right things. Praise her when she's doing nothing, like if she's just sitting or lying down, just say in a cheerful and encouraging tone, 'Good gal, lie there and rest'. Always call her name when food is served, in other words, it may sound strange to you, speak to her as if you're communicating with someone whether she response or not but I can tell you this, through all these communications, she'll understand you and her vocabulary will start building up.
The funny thing with Lily, is that the third day after i caught her, she ate from my fingers... not my hand. I would pinch a piece of turkey between my index finger and my thumb and she would come up and take it. She still does this, right up to my face when i'm sitting on the floor. But if i open my hand... well... she doesn't like that and she'll walk away. I tried moving my fist towards her too, nope, no good.

I do praise her all the time, calling her name and calling her 'my little panther' because i find she walks with a 'big-cat' walk. LOL.

She didn't come on my lap for her supper just now. Maybe i'll try with a treat later.

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
kimmer3d kimmer3d I'd urge you not to be too expectant of results too soon. Possibly not "push" different techniques...but stick with what you're both familiar with and has worked to this point. Again , again and again. Build up trust and more will come in time. (I think thats where tabbytom tabbytom is going in his post above)

My little stray female is just becoming real friendly after 1 1/2 years indoors!
I can finally pick her up and cuddle her! Prior...she instantly ran away. Finally comfortable within the whole house, too.

I never thought I'd see the day when I could pick Bug up....he's finally warmed up ....after almost 2 years indoors. Occasionally, when he's real hungry ...he'll jump up on my lap to announce (demand) its feed time! I never anticipated this!

Yes, complete, full trust and integration can take years!

It sure is rewarding though.

Last edited: