Cats of Colonia de las Rosas

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The gardens are mostly pie shaped plots around an oval, but the ones that I have my shelters in are different. They are just a space around the rec bldg. I know there's a word for it, but I can't remember it! Old age! In addition there are two small spaces where there's a sidewalk up to the bldg edge.

The garden plots are assigned and there is a waiting list for them. Linda took these spaces because no one else was using them and she didn't want to wait for her name to come up to get a regular space. There are some studies showing that gardening is good for older people, so that's how the garden project got started. At first the county brought in roses and other plants, but now the only thing free is grass seeds!

I'm going to get a one-time use camera today so I can post some pictures. Now that it is summer, it's still daylight when I go out to feed them. Everybody is staying the same. Louie is pudgy, Oscar is too thin and pees too much, Alfie is pretty, Mamie is shy, Henry is dirty and Lady Day is lovely.

Roll Call: Alfie, Blackie, Dude, Henry, Josesito, Lady Day, Louie, Mamie, Oscar, Sneakers. 10 Total.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katie=^..^=

The gardens are mostly pie shaped plots around an oval, but the ones that I have my shelters in are different. They are just a space around the rec bldg. I know there's a word for it, but I can't remember it! Old age! In addition there are two small spaces where there's a sidewalk up to the bldg edge.

The garden plots are assigned and there is a waiting list for them. Linda took these spaces because no one else was using them and she didn't want to wait for her name to come up to get a regular space. There are some studies showing that gardening is good for older people, so that's how the garden project got started. At first the county brought in roses and other plants, but now the only thing free is grass seeds!

I'm going to get a one-time use camera today so I can post some pictures. Now that it is summer, it's still daylight when I go out to feed them. Everybody is staying the same. Louie is pudgy, Oscar is too thin and pees too much, Alfie is pretty, Mamie is shy, Henry is dirty and Lady Day is lovely.

Roll Call: Alfie, Blackie, Dude, Henry, Josesito, Lady Day, Louie, Mamie, Oscar, Sneakers. 10 Total.
Aw - I would love to see pictures of these guys!

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My daughter spent some time with me this evening watching Chinese kung fu movies. Well actually one was Wendy Wu Homecoming Warrior, a Disney remake of a kung fu movie.

I lost track of the time and it was past 8 pm when we went outside with the food. I always feel bad for the cats because in my mind I imagine them being worried that I won't show up. They were very excited when we did come out and ran to the front door and then turned right around with the tails straight up running toward their bench. For the first time, my daughter noticed how skinny Oscar is.

My daughter's foot is getting better, by the way. She didn't need an operation. The diagnosis is tendinitis. Lots of physical therapy and anti-inflammations.

I had to call for Mamie and Red, otherwise everyone was there. The little black intruder was there, too. He also showed up last night.

It was over 100 today so I'm waiting to get the camera.

Roll Call: Alfie, Blackie, Dude, Henry, Josesito, Lady Day, Louie, Mamie, Oscar, Red, Sneakers. 11 Total. plus the little black intruder.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katie=^..^=

My daughter's foot is getting better, by the way. She didn't need an operation. The diagnosis is tendinitis. Lots of physical therapy and anti-inflammations.
Man, Tendinitis really hurts. I'm glad that's "all" it is, but tendinitis and bursitis both hurt a lot! to your daughter!

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you both for your sympathy and good vibes. She is doing much better now that they have a diagnosis and a treatment plan. She says the ice packs and physical therapy sessions are really exhausting. She seems much more hopeful and cheerful now that they have given her a solid plan to count on.

I just went out to check on my little cats because it has been thundering and raining. It was early but Dude, Oscar, Blackie, Alfie and Lady Day were waiting for me and glad to get their food. Of course they didn't go in their little houses like I meant for them to. They just sit in the dry spot next to the bldg.

I was very upset because two of the shelters had been sabotaged. I suspect by the guy now taking care of Linda's garden. Now that she's moving he must feel they're his garden. I'm going to go ask the resident manager if I can take over their care. He doesn't actually live here, he just has a girlfriend here. He has been taking care of his gf's garden, but I don't think he can have a garden that a resident wants. At least I hope not. I don't really want the pressure of a garden, but for the cats......

One of the shelters had a lot of water in it. He must have purposely aimed the hose at the entrance to get that much water in it. I turned the entrance away from where he waters one day when I saw the top was all wet. Until I checked a few days ago I didn't realize it was bogged down with water inside. It was the one I put the cardboard box in so it was very heavy. It took me four big plastic bags to carry everything to the garbage because the water made the newspapers so heavy. There was about 4" of water in the bottom when I was through. I just put a big California king-size flannel sheet in the bottom until Saturday when the rain is supposed to be gone. It's not at all cold, nighttime temperatures low sixties.

The other shelter was just moved and turned upside-down -- with the lid still on -- so it was dry inside. That's the second time he's moved that one, so I guess he really hates the cats. That shelter wasn't even in a spot that has plants that belonged to anyone. It was behind a tree stump that is covered with ivy.

I hope his girlfriend doesn't get mad and report my shelters to management. Then it's all over for me.

Roll Call: Alfie, Blackie, Dude, Lady Day, Oscar 5 Total.

Now the sky is turning blue again, wouldn't you know?

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure if he even speaks English. He doesn't seem to talk to very many people. I know that many of the people living here are against cats. They see them as dirty, etc.

I took the food out early because it was overcast again today. I took the camera with me and got some shots of the cats that showed up. They didn't like the loud click of the camera and gave me very suspicious looks and some scooted out of reach.

Roll Call: Alfie, Blackie, Dude, Henry, Josesito, Lady Day, Louie, Oscar, Red. 9 Total.

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It hasn't rained since Friday, but it is still overcast, a little windy, and chilly. I wish the cats would use their little houses, but when they are disturbed by humans, they get skittish about them.

I should have taken the camera out yesterday because the whole group showed up. It's so lovely when they all show.

Today they were waiting at the feeding bench when I came out the back door. Only Red and Mamie were missing. Tiny Sneakers (she's little like Blackie) showed up, nonchalantly jumping off the roof of the building at the lowest point to the ground. Something Blackie won't do. They're related somehow. Sneakers' mother was Bonita and Blackie's was Eleanor. Bonita and Eleanor could have been sisters, daughter and mother, cousins, anything. Bonita was a calico long-hair, and Eleanor was a tortoise-shell long-hair. Sneakers is a tuxedo and Blackie is, well, black.

Roll Call: Alfie, Blackie, Dude, Henry, Josesito, Lady Day, Louie, Oscar, Red, Sneakers. 10 Total.

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's that time of year isn't it? When all the tiny stray and feral kittens begin to show their adorable and defenseless selves.

I have my first one. I had already decided to name the first girl that was abandoned in the garden Zazie. It's from a French book and movie about a little girl's adventures in Paris. Both the book and movie are called Zazie in the Metro. It's a cute name and I hope it catches people's eyes when my daughter puts it up on the internet.

We are having beautiful weather here in L.A. and my cats are lounging and playing on the lawn in the late afternoon while they wait for their dinner. Alfie is still young enough to enjoy chasing leaves and bugs. Every now and then he pounces on one of his friends for a little wrestling. It's very nice.

The roll call is for last night, but I went out early and only caught the Early 7.

Roll Call: Alfie, Blackie, Henry, Josesito, Lady Day, Louie, Oscar. 7 Total.

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Zazie was a very dirty little kitten. My hands were getting dirty just handling her so I bathed her. The water running off her was like mud. Then I noticed that what I thought were a grey face and chest were getting tiny white spots. It seemed very strange that an otherwise calico kitten had grey tuxedo markings instead of white -- and it was!

Now they are nearly white. I had to quit before she was completely white because she was getting limp -- she was so upset by the bathing process.

My cats outside are doing very well. I was impressed again with how very spotless Alfie keeps himself. He's the cleanest of the boy cats. He's really beautiful.

Roll Call: Alfie, Blackie, Dude, Henry, Josesito, Lady Day, Louie, Oscar, Red, Sneakers. 10 Total.

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Zazie refuses to stay in the bathroom. I was trying to keep her separate from my indoor cats -- Graycie, Go Go and Little Guy -- but she refuses to be kept out of the mix. I couldn't get her completely clean when I bathed her, but she has completed her grooming on her own and now her white face, chest, and feet are all sparkling white. She is a sweet little girl -- about two months, I think. Her eyes have not completely changed to their adult color. It seems they are going to be green.

My outside cats are doing well. We have been having wonderful weather -- just summery, not too hot or cold. Perfect weather. They are really enjoying it. I see them playing in the garden in the evening and having a lot of fun.

Roll Call: Alfie, Blackie, Dude, Henry, Josesito, Lady Day, Louie, Oscar, Sneakers. 9 Total

opilot

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh god bless you Katie! I have 3 new kitties at my colony. One kitty was
a gal, we thought was a boy - she had 3 polydactlys. I have only
seen them 1 time, they were too young, but i should have grabbed
em when I saw them, as now I will have to catch n fix and most likely
they will be too feral to tame. Sigh.

But we got momma fixed right away, so at least ONE good
thing came of it...

Momma is a tiny tiny vocal brown and black tabby with a lovely
tail and long feathery fur and pointed face. Polydactly on the
front paws too...Quite adorable.

All my ferals at the colony are fairly friendly, there are some I
can pet, and some that come up to me and some that do not.

My Frogita at home came from the colony and she is a doll of
a kitty, and Grey Goose came from there, and he is (when he
deins to come in) very purrry and friendly like. Alas, he
is also covered in tiny ticks and fleas. Despite the Frontline
he gets regularly. It just doesn't seem to work! I've pulled
3 ticks of myself this year all after spending time with him
... sigh.

My 3 fosters are doing well, please say prayers for Frodo the Snowshoe
mix Siamese? He was taken from a kill shelter and would have been
PTS'd had I not volunteered to try and tame him.

I think he was once an owned cat. He doesn't act
completely feral. He has not bonded with me however, and I can
nnot pet, even though I can get very close to
feed him and play with him.

Right now he is indoor only and hating it, he wants OUT but I am
afraid it will drive Goose away, so I only let the fosters out of their
kitty room, when the pet door is closed and my own babies are
outdoors.

Then I play w/ fosters and give them time. It is VerY
hard. I am praying my Frodo boy begins to socialize
better and one day wants to come and be petted. He
watches the others getting attention regularly, and
knows it must be nice, as all the OTHER guys seem to
suffer my touch and LIKE it...

I do not know if it will ever happen *sighing sadly* He
could have such a good life as a pet - but maybe he will
never be able to transition to that?

I would love to let all concerned roam and mingle, but I
do worry about stress on the other cats, and also that they might
get things from each other... so I am being careful in my segregating them.

And of course, little Frogie girl DESPISES the fosters - she will run
at and attack the small one Baby, and is fearless with the siamese
mix Frodo. Frodo tho bigger, steps warily round her.
Tiny
but she RULES!

Congratulations on Zazie, she sounds adoreable. Kittens are so
much fun, and SOO much work, LOL!!

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi opilot -- it's so good to have you come on my thread and share all your stories. I know it's hard to get the cats to socialize when you have to separate them from your inside cats.

Graycie and Go Go will accept kittens, but Graycie attacks adult cats. I only bring in kittens.

It's hard work finding homes for them. I have to take them to the vet for their infectious diseases test and vaccinations. Then buy a disposable camera, take their picutres, get them processed with CD-Rom, get them up, send them to my friend who puts them online for me, and hope for a call.

My daughter put last summer's kittens on craigslist and that worked well for us, but is dicier. Of course, you can never tell for sure if someone is going to be a good owner.

Adult cats that show up abandoned have to manage to survive outside. Henry, especially. was very unhappy for a long time and is only now starting to fit in with the group.

Most of my outside cats are not family now. Only Blackie, Dude, Josesito, Lady Day and Sneakers are related. The other six are a motley group of strays. That's why I only have three girls -- all the strays are boys.

I'm in the library right now. I wanted to watch the last episode of LOST but the library computers don't have the right stuff for it. Sigh. I was a doofus and thought it was over before it was and turned it off. My computer at home is too slow to watch it.

No roll call -- I left their food in the dog bowl before I came downtown. I didn't see any of them when I did that.

opilot

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow Katie, you do such good work! I have someone to take the kittens (a rescue) if I can only FIND them! I have not seen them since 2wks ago, and I worry Momma won't bring them to me... fingers crossed and hoping I can get them...while still young enough to tame.

All my cats come down from one or two female lines I believe. All
interrelated in some way.

I think Frogita and Goose share the same Dad cat, but NOT the same Momma.

Frogita was one of 3 cats, all marked similarly in shades of blue, grey and dilute brown/fawn tabby. 2 remain at the site, but she got in a carrier and let me take her home, LOL. She *picked* me!

She and her sibs are all short haired. I think her Dad cat was a large friendly tabby and white male cat.

Momma I am thinking was the grand mamma cat of all of them,
a lovely small fluffy grey white tabby with the sweetest disposition.

Goose is a long haired dilute grey/blue boy. He has
a wobbly back leg/ankle on one side - that is a trade mark of one
line of cats... I am thinking Dad cat was a black persian that showed up
then disappeared sadly... and momma was the same as Frogita's.

I think the same momma, as Frogita and Grey Goose were always to be found following that particular female kitty around and nuzzling her. Goose was from the litter or two before Frogita - I found him at 3 months in Dec of 2006 and trapped him and got him home in Feb. 2007. I saw Frogita in the late summer/fall of 2007 at age 3/4 months, with the same momma cat Goose would follow around.

So I thought she must be the momma of both.

There are at least 7 I see on a regular basis, then 6 more that come and go. I am never sure if these cats have other feeders in the neighbor hood behind the hotel, or if they simply forage, and roam.

Yesterday I saw one batter eared tom that I had not seen regularly before.
He was sitting with the female (all fixed HA HA HA! no mating going on!!)
group, and might have dropped in for a bite to eat. But I have not seen
any strays, I don't think.

My little core group of spay'd mommas - 4 or so, are almost always at the colony site, using the shelter boxes, or hiding under the shed. I hope
since I intiated the shelter boxes in Nov. last year, that they will start to
spend more of their winter hours snug in these nest boxes. I KNOW they
are in use, I see the "nesting" spots in the hay I put in...

I am not sure about strays coming in - I have not seen that - YET, but I think it a distinct possibilty - and I must therefore remain alert for unfixed females entering the colony and/or males needing fixing. Such a tough job that - as trapping the one or two you want becomes rather difficult.

I had a lady with a drop trap help me with the last few canny momma cats - and let me tell you with out the drop trap I would NEVER have caught these mommas!

I salute your efforts with the cats, and I love reading about your colony.
Managing them brings so much comfort, doesn't it? It is the one way we can make a tiny bit of difference in the world around us. And they do give back so much - feral cat friendship is such a reward!!

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oscar didn't come for dinner tonight. He has never missed a dinner since I started taking care of the group. He's not a healthy cat because he has some kind of chronic UTI.

Zazie is doing very well. She's just so much fun to have around. She's a little girl who puts her head in my hand when she sees it laying on the couch or bed as though she's saying "I'm here, available for petting or playing!" She uses the same kitty litter as the big cats. She tries to eat their kibble, but can't quite handle it -- too hard.

All of the cats were looking to me for attention tonight when I got back from my own dinner, but all I could think about was Oscar, who was not there.

Roll Call: Alfie, Blackie, Dude, Henry, Josesito, Lady Day, Louie. 7 Total.

opilot

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh Katie, I'm sorry about Oscar disappearing. I will pray he just is on
a wander and will turn up again. Hugs and for Oscar and you.

I love Zazie the kitten! Baby has tamed down now, and almost
lets me pet her from standing up. No more real bolting when I
approach her. Its taken me since March 1 to get her this far!

But she purrs and rolls for me and is generally not really afraid.
Funny thing is that Frogita will NOT tolerate her. She charges
at Baby and hisses. But her tail is not puffed! It is more of
a warning shot as oppossed to a fear or agression/hurt instinct.

Whats funny is that Frogita is a tiny gal at 6 lbs she's pudgy,
but Baby is even smaller (if fatter) due to her short leg/long Maine
Coon body! So Frogita can easily take Baby. She has has driven
off Frodo - Mr. Frodo made mistake of trying to go after Frogita, and BOY did she set HIM straight, LOL.... Frodo does not chase or approach HER
anymore, LOL.

Cats are odd. Its so hard to know how they will react. For example,
Diablo the senior male, accepts and grooms Frogita and tolerates Goose.
but he does seem upset by Frodo and Baby.... go figure? Frogita loves Goose and Diablo, but not Baby and Frodo! Frodo loves all cats and wants to be friends, Baby is just curious about other cats...

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OSCAR IS HOME!!

As soon as I went out with the food I saw him in his usual spot with Blackie right next to him. I was so relieved. I was almost afraid to go out for fear he wouldn't be waiting. He really wanted to talk to me to. He came trotting to me and talking with his raspy meow. I was on my way out to dinner and when I got back, he let me pick him up and pet him. He is very tame, but usually resists being picked up. (Ever since I took him to the vet's and he had to stay in my bathroom for treatment for 10 days. He hated that.)

Zazie is happy. I think she's got the idea this is her permanent home, which cannot happen. I'm still hoping to find a home for Little Guy -- I've had him for two years so I know the folly of not finding a home for them while they're still cute little kittens.

Roll Call: Alfie, Blackie, Dude, Henry, Josesito, Lady Day, Louie, Oscar, Sneakers. 9 Total