Cats of Colonia de las Rosas

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I confused my kitties today by coming out the front door with their food. It was close to feeding time, but early. and I was planning to leave their food and head for The Hungry Burrito restaurant for nachos.

Some of them were already at the feeding bench waiting for me. I poured out their piles of kibble and they were munching away when I left.

I saw a few more on my way back in. I got the feeling they were hoping for some more ham, but "no luck, guys!"

Roll Call: Alfie, Blackie, Dude, Henry, Josesito, Lady Day, Louie, Oscar. 8 Total.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw, Katie, you gave your kitties some Easter ham! So sweet!

At Thanksgiving last year, I gave my shelter babies some turkey - pulled bits off the carcass, chopped it up and heated it in chicken stock... took it over there. I thought they were going to lose their minds they liked it so much!!!

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dear AddieBee, it is so easy to please them! No fussy appetites here!

I went out the back door, a little early. My little ones were wandering around, but confused because one of my neighbors was leaning against the feeding bench waiting for her boyfriend. Her boyfriend (my neighbor's in her 70s, but her boyfriend's only 40ish!) was watering the garden of my friend that has my boxes in her garden. It seems my friend's doctor has advised her to not use her hands for awhile because of arthritis.

My cats were confused by all this activity by people they didn't know well. Still, everyone showed up, even Mamie.

Roll Call: Alfie, Blackie, Dude, Henry, Josesito, Lady Day, Louie, Mamie, Oscar, Red, Sneakers.

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went out the back door just a little bit early and my guys were all waiting at the feeding bench.

I called all their names and happily even Mamie came tonight. I put a bit of kibble under the bench where she likes to eat.

One of my neighbors gave me some cans of Friskies and I took down the plates I used when I fed them canned food and dished it out for them. They were so happy! While I was still "plateing" it, Oscar came nosing and standing on his back legs starting eating off the bench! I went across the street and when I got back it was already gone! I'm not even sure who ate it! I doubt Red or Mamie, but I don't know.

Roll Call: Alfie, Blackie, Dude, Henry, Josesito, Lady Day, Louie, Mamie, Oscar, Red, Sneakers. 11 Total.

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tonight I brought in one of the shelters to clean it up and change it.

This is one that they weren't using so much. I took out the pillow that I thought might be the reason. It was too dirty to keep, so I threw it away. (All the boxes are definitely being used. They are all VERY dirty.) I had an idea for insulating them and helping the cats to keep warm.

I put newspaper on the bottom like opilot recommended and built up the bottom to almost the level of the opening so that there wouldn't be too much air for them to have to warm up with their body heat.

Then I lined the sides with cardboard, leaving openings at the top to drop newspaper between the cardboard and sides of the box. I did the same for the top.

THEN my brainstorm: I found some car sun shades in silvery shiny stuff at Q Bargain 99 cent store. I used that to line the sides and top of the box over the cardboard. Then I put a piece of the silvery stuff on the bottom for them to lay on. That is to reflect their body heat back into the box to help them keep warm. It took one 99 cent sun shade to do the job.

Then I started laughing because it looked like the inside of an oven or a very low-tech space ship. I hope my little ones find it comfortable and warm. It's actually cold tonight and windy. The rest of the boxes still have newspaper lining on the sides and blankets or towels on the bottom.

Roll Call: Alfie, Blackie, Dude, Henry, Josesito, Lady Day, Louie, Mamie, Oscar, Red, Sneakers. 11 Total.

P.S. No sign of the little black intruder in a week or so.

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I brought in two more boxes to clean up today. The first one is back out, but the second needed cleaning up. It smelled of cat pee. I guess someone didn't want to share!

The first one is one of the two smaller ones. I had forgotten that it had a cardboard box that just fit inside with room between it and the sides of the shelter for newspaper insulation. Some dirt from the garden had spashed inside even though I put the door as high up as I could.

I enlarged the hole I cut in the box some, and cut the door a little so that it swings back and forth better. Also, I put newspaper between the cardboard box and the shelter on the side with the door. Before I had a LOT of newspaper at the end of the cardboard box and shelter furtherest from the door (which is on the end) and none on the end with the opening. That didn't make a lot of sense, I just did it to keep the cardboard box from moving back and forth. It's more even now.

Then I lined the cardboard box with the shiney silvery sun shade. It's going to be a much warmer box than the others. There's only room inside for one cat or two small ones cuddled together. I also insulated the top on the inside. No more plastic garbage bag over the top. That looked really bad when the rain loosened the tape. I used post office tape and it didn't hold once it got wet.

It didn't occur to me that the cats might not like the sun shades until after I had finished the first box yesterday. Tonight I put some cat food in the first box. When I took the second box out I put some cat treats in it to encourage whoever was using it to come back. All the boxes were being used.

My friend, the gardener, has pretty much had to quit gardening. The arthritis in her hands has gotten bad, and her doctor told her to lay off for awhile. It just hurts too much and is swollen, too. I'm not sure what I'm going to do if she cannot provide an excuse for the boxes to be there. Maybe I'll have to take up gardening!

opilot

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Katie, that will make them soo happy! That silver stuff works well. I use the silver bubble wrap for heaters and pipes, similar insulating properties. Keeps heat in and cold out or vice versa...

My ferals were taken care of while I was away on travel. When I got back 2 had been trapped by the volunteer caretaker (who works for humane society) and taken for fixing. Sadly one was 3 wks from delivery, and they decided to keep the kittens and C section! Now we are hoping and praying those kittens can make it! 3 wks premie is shocking. The vet should have done the abort - even though these babies were close to term, they probably won't survive. We are looking for a mama cat to nurse but none seem forthcoming. Mama cat was released back to her colony, along with the other kitty who was also preggers (1 month along).

I was sad and glad - glad they got fixed, sad about the kittens. But OTH I am ALMOST done fixing! I have 2 males to catch now - and one battered old guy that is *probably* male to catch and fix/give shots.

Meantime, 2 of the cats I lost in October reappeared! I have NO clue where these boys/girls went - but I saw no signs until last week. And then, suddenly, they were BAAACK! Just 2 of the orginial 4/6 that left. I still
don't know where they went, but they did survive.

So my kitty count stands at 6/8 permanent (see all the time) and 4/6 visitors (see occassionally). I estimate I've got about 12 cats eating. Maybe a possum or a skunk or coon too

Sheters are 'in use' and I plan to upgrade over the summer so they
will have even more swank quarters for the winter coming ...

And in other news - Baby my feral coon kitten came back from the tamers - they admitted defeat. She didn't want to be anywhere but at the tamers house. Sigh. She adjusted fine with me, but hated the other rescue lady.
And now in a cruel twist of fate she is very sick. I fear the development
of FIP which I understand affects stressed kittens more than others...

But if I am very very luck she's just picked up something like cocidia or giardia from another kitty at the tamer's house. I noticed all my kitties
sneezing ... so that was bad - but that seems to h ave passed, and so
perhaps the dirreah and runny poo poblem can be cured too.

I have a sample at the vets - testing for worms and cocidia and
giardia...

Fingers crossed. Send me vibes!!

Also send vibes for the lovely boy Frodo (must post pic) a part snoshoe or
Birman / Siamese mix. He is lovely boy, and I am taming. With hopes we
can adopt out at the end of the year... once I get him tamed. Send vibes for his RAPID taming, LOL!

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oooooh, it is sad about the kittens. Your responsibility for fixing is a smaller load now, though. I'm sorry about Baby not doing well. I never understand about the tamer lady. You seemed to understand her so well.

It's great that some of the ones you "lost" came back. They must have found a cozy spot for winter while you were gone. I lost a cat over four years ago and I still wonder what happened to him and whether he is okay.

Today was food bank day here. People who want food go to the rec room. People come from other projects too. The cats don't like it. Too many people, too much activity. They scatter.

I'm starting to worry about Henry. He never has settled in although he's been here since Nov. 2006. He is thin and very dirty. He's not taking care of himself at all. The injury below his ear is much better, however. The scab has fallen off and it looks like it is healing well.

The trap to catch him came, but it wasn't the one I wanted. I ordered the one without the rear release door by mistake. I sent it back and I'm waiting for the one I want. I need to catch him and Alfie. Of course it would be a big bonus if Mamie got caught!

I've cleaned up three of my four shelters. Just one to go. It's cold and windy tonight and the weatherman says a chance of rain tonight, so I'm leaving it for a few days. Plus I've used up all my newspaper!

My gardener told me for certain today that she is abandoning her garden. I don't know what to do about the shelters. I think I've spotted a spot under the outside stairs for one shelter. Someone has put a big barrel type garbage can under there and I think I can slip one of the shelters behind it. Easily available to the cats because the stairs are the platform type. But what about the rest? Just when I was feeling so sly about hiding them in plain sight!

Roll Call: Alfie, Blackie, Dude, Henry, Josesito, Lady Day, Louie, Oscar, Red. 9 Total.

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a doctor appointment this afternoon, so I fed my guys early. When I got back it was cold and windy and when I left it was warm, so I wasn't dressed for the weather. I really just wanted to go right upstairs, but remembered it's Friday and that's the day their water bowl gets messed up by the lawn mowing.

Stopped to change their water and poured out their food from the big dog bowl to the sidewalk. For some reason they don't seem to like it in the bowl.

I hope they use their newly cleaned and insulated shelters.

Roll Call: Alfie, Blackie, Henry, Josesito, Lady Day, Louie, Mamie, Oscar, Red, Sneakers. 10 Total.

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is very cold and windy today. I couldn't stay out long. When I went out the back door they were at the front. When I called them, "kitty cats, kitty cats," they all came running to the food bench. Little Josesito looked so pretty running along the sidewalk.

Mamie was sitting in a big tree and I was sitting on the bench that went in a semi-circle around the tree. I was talking to her and Dude came up. I started petting him and then we heard Mamie growl. Dude spotted her and jumped into the tree and started stalking her! She took refuge on a leafy branch and after awhile he gave up and came down. What was that all about?

Every one came today. I had to call Sneakers, but only a few times and she came trotting. They were all hungry and were chomping away pretty fast.

Roll Call: Alfie, Blackie, Dude, Henry, Josesito, Lady Day, Louie, Mamie, Oscar, Red, Sneakers.

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your journal.
I had such a horrible day that I could not sleep and your journal cheered me up. I cried when Bonita and Eleanor passed on...
You are an angel and an inspiration.
When I move and if I see some ferals near me I will make every effort to care for them as you have.
I cannot say enough good things about you.

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you CC12. It is easy to love the cats and to feel so much pleasure from taking care of them. They are so grateful in return.

Friday night was different for both me and the cats. I unexpectedly found myself far from home on Friday night. Then a neighbor (who has a cat) called me on my cell because the cats were following her around! They must have recognized her as someone that often sits on the feeding bench with me in the evening. I told her I was far away and asked her to feed the cats for me. When I got home, I expected that she would only give them a little food, so I brought more downstairs, but they had three big piles just like I give them.

I saw everyone but Blackie.

Then Saturday, when I went out at the regular time, only three cats showed up. I went out later, but only saw two more.

Then tonight, three were missing. Now it's 4 a.m. and I just came back in. I was looking for Blackie, but didn't see him. I saw everyone else. I tell myself that worrying isn't going to help and it's too soon to worry. Sigh.

Roll Call: Alfie, Dude, Henry, Josesito, Lady Day, Louie, Mamie, Oscar, Red, Sneakers.

P.S. The weather is unusual because the Santa Anas are blowing. They are winds from the deserts beyond the mountains that ring L.A. They make it hot, but because it is spring it is only in the 90s. If it were summer it would be 105 or more.

kazy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I hope all your kitties show up like usual.

Seattle had 85 degree summer day on Saturday. It must be related to heat wave in L.A.

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it's been in the 90s here. The weather announcer said it was Santa Anas, but it could be coming from the north, too. The hot weather ended today, though, and it is getting cooler outside.

Tonight, Blackie, Henry, Mamie, and Sneakers were missing. I was calling the cats on the far side of the rec bldg and could hear male cat yowls. Whenever I walked out to get closer though, I'd lose where it was. Finally I walked out to the parking lot and realized the cats were on top of the roofed over porch where I was standing when I called them! I could only see one small black cat that could have been Blackie, but also could have been the little black intruder. I did see Henry come to the feeding bench when the fighting stopped, so maybe it was Henry and the little black intruder. They are both unneutered male cats so that would make sense.

I haven't seen Blackie since Thursday, I hope he shows up soon.

Roll Call: Alfie, Dude, Henry, Josesito, Lady Day, Louie, Oscar, Red. 8 Total.

opilot

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Katie: I hope they all showed up again. When its hot, they prob.
go to the sewers and don't come up till its quiet (1/2 am) ...

I saw all my babies - had a rude shock - one was with 1/2 a tail!
I thought he was mine, but yesterday I saw mine, this looks likg
a brother or mama cat. So sad. Raggedy tail looking like it got
bobbed off...

I hope to goodness cat is okay.

OTH glad it wasn't MY little bk n white one.

It is a new cat for me to watch for. I see 6-11 regular and figure
I feed about 15-18 at times - sometimes the huge doggie bowl o
dry chow by the shelter is completely empty. I know it could
be a racoon or skunk but ... sometimes I think its cats
getting to it!!

I fed my guys at noon today so I would not have to stop and refeed them tonight. I was SOO happy to see the blk n white guy that is mine, unharmed.

I saw a dead blk cat a few weeks back across the road from my site.
I thought it had no tail and could well have been my missing bobtail kitty.
That disappeared in May. I wept, because I could not confirm, as the
front was crushed (I could not bear to turn it over)....

I believe part of me, it could be her. If so it would be exquisit ironey she found my colony or ALMOST - maybe she crossed regular to eat there, and I didn't know it! That is the hardest part for me.

I pray every day she's okay, that it WAS NOT her I saw dead - and that, by the grace of God we get reunited one day....

Anyway, sad story. On a better note: my sick baby cat is well again! Flagy in stinky sardine juice saved the day, sub q fluids and a lot of clean up!

I am so relieved. Of course, she still plays keep away, so I have to hunt her scruff her and drag her onto my lap to pet sometimes. Of course silly girl, once I get her on the lap she looooves it.

Poor thing. HOpe she comes round to loving. Cody cat (my beautiful abandoned cat that I am fostering) has dental issues - stomatitis or gingivitis not sure - needs treatment badly. Going to have to take to a cheaper vet
in WVa the vets here in NOVA are out of this world expensive.

I will happily drive 1.5 hours to find a price that is 1/3 less to 1/2 less for the same services...

Can't afford to live in NOVa on my gov't salary. Never mind what they say about richest county in the country bull *88uu. To us poor working stiffs.

End of rant! Off now, take care Katie and please keep updating ... I live for your stories. and the hope in them.

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi opilot. I hope your little bobtail girl is okay. It is amazing that you feed so many and can't be sure who you have everyday. When mine don't show up I start freaking out.

My daughter was visiting me today and was here when I went out to feed them at 7:30. Ten were there waiting for me -- but no Blackie. I hollered his name really loud and he came.

He is not like himself. Just like last Thursday he came out slowly and rather weakly walking. I had to pick him up to be sure it was him and not the little black intruder. He didn't even try to eat and the other cats were backing off from him. When I picked him up his breath smelled like dead rat. I brought him upstairs and let Crystal look at him. She's much better at feeling for problems like at obstruction in the abdomen or for bad teeth than I am. She couldn't find anything.

My intuition is that something is seriously wrong. Especially when I saw the other cats backing off. That's what they did to Claggett and he had leukemia. Blackie didn't seem to have fever. Crystal agreed to take him to the vet on Saturday if he hasn't shown improvement by then. That will make 10 days he hasn't eaten. He doesn't seem underweight.

Mamie showed up while I was holding Blackie. She just appeared under the feeding bench like she does. I gave her a little food there and Josesito, her old pal, joined her for dinner.

Roll Call: Alfie, Blackie, Dude, Henry, Josesito, Lady Day, Louie, Mamie, Oscar, Red, Sneakers. 11 Total

opilot

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I hate to say it, because it is not always true, but that dead rat smell can mean that the kidneys have begun shut down. If so, Blackie is dying.

OTH he could just need some sub Q fluids (IV) and a bit of baby food with pepcide (the kind humans get for upset stomachs). I had my old 18 year old die of dramatic kidney shut down... she was fine then crashed and was gone in a 3 day period. We were expecting it, because she had been ill for sometime with hyperthyroid and it had gotten her kidneys...

That smell on the breath could be uremia - ammonia build up in the stomach. Could be why he won't eat...

I will send vibes that you can bring him inside and hydrate and feed him -
if not, my heart goes out to you. It is never easy to lose a feral or any cat you love... having just done it... I really feel for you. Hugs and best of luck with little Blackie...

May it be something he CAN recover from.

Baby is doing well. Though they feared she had FIP (they always scream about that although its rare), but she seems fine and dandy to me. Her fever went away, her eyes are back to almost normal, her breathing isn't wheezy, and her appetite is good. Just a tad of dirreah, but not nearly
like it was...

Cody is doing poorly, we have the vet coming again - he has gingivitis - we think his condition is something called gramulotamtous ensipholis (sp!!!! arg). It is bascially his immune system attacking plaque, and its self. Causes his wide spread itchyness, acne under the chin, and his grooming endlessly and his mouth ulcers, and also infection due to gingivitis. He may have had a touch of Herpes too, and be chronic with Herpes...
That can cause the gingivitis too... so they think anywya.

I hope he can be helped by having his teeth out - he is in such bad shape right now, and I feel terrible, since I am not able to give the Cylindamycine. I think I will as for a topical cream, since his mouth hurts so much...

Frodo is doing very well indeed. He seems completely healthy, is very curious about MY cats, and the outside. Until he can get along with Goose, I will NOT be allowing him roaming in the house - unless I am sure Goose is outside.

Tiny Frogita at 5 lbs, has no fear of him, she basically meweled, growled hissed and raised her paw to him - as if to say "this is MY house, don't even think about attacking ME" and then she defended Goose, who is so much bigger - I was amazed, LOL. Truely though tiny, Frogita rules the house.

As to my missing Bobtail - Lexi disappered from my house May 17 last year. I looked all over and did everything they recommend but couldnt find her.
At last, I found another couple of colonies of cats to look for her in... and I'm handing out signs there... I will go Monday next week to talk with them.. please wish me luck? I would die of joy if I were told she'd been seen there.

And was NOT the dead cat on the road. I still have dreams that that was
her.
crying about it...

So as with all things, some joy, some sorrows. Some learning of what to do, what not to do...

And too much taken on. I wish I had a place for Frodo to go, n cody too.
I'd keep Baby only if I had to. She is adjusted to us, just never will be a "friendly" cat I think. Not like my little joy Frogita - who becomes more adorable each month and day I have her, and tamer too...

Take care Katie and please keep sharing
I love to hear of your success and sorrows as it makes me feel so much less alone!