Cats of Colonia de las Rosas

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went out early and my little furry ones were waiting at the feeding bench. As usual, little Oscar was first to come toward me with his raspy meow. Lady Day was right there. I was a little early and I called for four: Sneakers, Mamie, Josesito and Red. Sneakers and Red showed up.

I saw little black intruder again. He seemed very happy when I talked to him. I wonder about him. He seems very healthy -- not thin and his coat is glossy. He always seems to be around though, so I wonder if he is eating here.

I also wonder if he's the one Blackie had the fight with. He's a dead ringer for Blackie. Same color and body type, just a little smaller. That's why I think he's so young. Blackie is my smallest boy, and is smaller than two of the girls. The only cat smaller than him is Sneakers.

Finally saw Josesito on my way back from dinner.

Roll Call: Alfie, Blackie, Dude, Henry, Josesito, Lady Day, Louie, Oscar, Red, Sneakers.

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just as I thought -- the little black intruder is most likely here to find a girlfriend. The girlfriend he is looking for seems to be Mamie. Tonight when I came out, I saw two cats on the roof of the rec bldg. One was down close on the part nearest to the ground and I could see clearly that was Mamie.

I thought the silhouetted cat was Sneakers, but then Sneakers was eating on the ground, so no. It had to be the little black intruder. Mamie seemed to be worried about him, she kept looking back up at him. Then she jumped down and ran to her favorite hang-out, the War Memorial. After she made her getaway, the boy slunk off.

Mamie is a puzzle to me. She seems to be a girl. She doesn't compete for status with the boys; she does bicker with the other girls. She looks like a girl. Then, again, I have never been able to trap her. She escapes from the trap after it is tripped but before the trap panel can fall. On the other hand, she has never been pregnant that I can tell. I don't know what to make of it. Could Alfie be her kitten? She never looked pregnant, but if she only had one kitten, maybe......?

Blackie could have gotten hurt trying to protect Mamie. Josesito and Blackie protected her when she was still a kitten. Blackie protected his mother, Eleanor, before she was spayed and was very close to his mother until she died. He's just a little guy himself so it was hard for him to do that. He's little, but he's feisty.

I called my friend that I borrowed traps from, but she has a new baby of her own and has not called back. Tomorrow is another day.

Roll Call: Alfie, Blackie, Dude, Henry, Josesito, Lady Day, Louie, Mamie, Oscar, Red, Sneakers 11 Total

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, kluchetta. She does have a broad face now. I'm just not sure. Maybe when I get the traps (no callback yet) she'll get caught this time. Then we'll know. On the other hand, the little black guy probably wouldn't be hanging around if she weren't a she.

I had errands and wasn't sure what time I would be back, so I left half their food early and didn't see a single cat. When I got back, it was still early -- around 6ish -- but it had unexpectedly gotten overcast and chilly. Still only saw a few cats. Left their food under the overhand, just in case it sprinkles or actually rains.

Roll Call: Alfie, Henry, Lady Day, Oscar. 4 Total.

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nearly all the kitties were waiting at the feeding bench when I came out tonight. The ones that weren't came running as soon as I started to talk.

It is still overcast and cold so I poured some of the food by the bench, with a little handful for Henry, then took roll. Josesito and Mamie were missing.

I started calling "Josesito! Mamie! Josesiiiiitooooo! Maaaaamieeeeee!" Then I saw Josesito coming from the parking lot, walking very nonchalantly like a cat will. I gave them fresh water.

While I was standing back watching them, SWOOSH! there was Mamie -- coming from behind me (very unusual for her) and landing under the feeding bench.

A job well done.

Roll Call: Alfie, Blackie, Dude, Henry, Josesito, Lady Day, Louie, Mamie, Oscar, Red, Sneakers. 11 Total.

kazy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It was pretty cold for L.A. today, wasn't it?
But Seattle was 43 degrees when we landed at 8PM.
It felt nice to me, though...

Do you leave cat food overnight? Or you only leave it out for few hours?
I am wondering how you do it...

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Kazy, how are your babies? I didn't go to your thread first tonight. I leave the food out about 6-6:30 pm. It's kibble and I don't bring any back in. I don't usually have a problem with wildlife. I guess that's because I live in an urban area and it's an apartment building with gardens and landscaping in the middle between buildings. I've gone out in the early morning to see if they need more or not. In the am, as soon as day breaks, the pigeons come and clean up the leftovers.

I cried all over again for the cat that was run over last week. My daughter took me to lunch and as she was leaving she saw his body. She called me when she got back to work and told me. We both thought it was another cat. When I went to look, to see who it was, it was the same poor little cat. Someone had kicked it off the sidewalk. I felt so bad. I called animal control myself this time -- it took three calls because my phone company kept hooking me up with the wrong number. Finally I reported it to the right one. I hope they come soon.

To answer the question on whether I plan to name the little black intruder. No, I don't want to think of him becoming a permanent member of the colony. Eleven is enough to care for! Then, I hope to get him neutered, and I think he'll quit coming after that. If I need a name at the vet's I'll call him Cat Burglar -- since he's trying to steal Mamie's love!

Roll Call: Alfie, Blackie, Dude, Henry, Josesito, Lady Day, Louie, Mamie, Oscar, Sneakers. 10 Total.

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had to go the library today and took the cat's food out with me in case I got caught in rush hour traffic coming home. On the way I saw another little visitor cat. This one was a buff colored tabby. He looked very young. He was sniffing around. I'm sure he was smelling Mamie.

I love the way those buff colored cats' coats seem to shimmer and change colors. It's got something to do with the "tipping" on the fur. Each tiny hair is tipped at the end with white or silvery white. Little Alfie has that color and with his long fur, it's beautiful. He has light blueish-green eyes, too, that really adds to the effect.

When I got home, it was only about 6. I had to hurry upstairs though because it was a long bus ride and I had to go to the bathroom!
I just poured out their food and gave them fresh water and skedaddled upstairs. Whew!

Not all my cats were present. Dude, Henry and Mamie were missing.

Roll Call: Alfie, Blackie, Josesito, Lady Day, Louie, Oscar, Red, Sneakers. 8 Total.

kelicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I love reading your saga about all the kitties that benefit b/c you are kind enough to provide for them
Bless you!!!

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Kelicat, I don't feel especially kind, but grateful to have the chance to do something that has made me feel so good! It's feels like a privilege to care for the cats.

I haven't written in a few days and I was going to say I hoped you didn't miss me, but actually I hope some of you did! I probably won't be writing as much. Health problems. I will be feeding the cats, though, so don't worry about them.

They still cannot get used to me coming from the back door. Almost every night most of them are waiting at the front door. I think they see me go in that door so that's where they wait. When I come out now I call them and they look so cute because they come running from the front door, all excited.

I am planning on buying a trap to use. I need to trap Henry and Alfie. I have dreams of catching Mamie, too. I have tried to catch her before, but she is very fast and manages to escape the trap after it is tripped. I don't know how she does that, but I did have one other cat that was able to do that sometimes. Maybe she has slowed down some.

I also keep meaning to bring out a bowl so I can leave some kibble with water for the older cats whose teeth may be bothering them. I'm thinking of Oscar and Red. Particularly Oscar. The vet said he was about seven years old, a few years ago, so he's about the right age to start having teeth problems.

Roll Call: Alfie, Blackie, Dude, Henry, Josesito, Lady Day, Louie, Mamie, Oscar, Red, Sneakers. 11 Total

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been wondering if everything was ok. I am sorry about you having health problems. I hope nothing too serious.

I have been thinking about Mamie and her new suitor. I know from this thread that she has been tough to trap. Have you considered trying drop trap? http://www.droptrapdesign.blogspot.com/

With your kitties used to being fed at the same time in the same spot it this would be the easiest way to trap them. The only problem is they are difficult to find, I had to build my own. However I live in the middle of nowhere.

I think being in LA there should be a feral cat coalition that would have one, and actually there should be someone who is an experienced trapper that would come out and help you trap and transport for spay/neuter.

The California Feline Foundation (also Valley Animal Center)
http://www.valleyanimal.org/ is a great organization. They did wonders with the rescue cats they took in after hurricane Katrina. I believe they were the only organization to have a reunion rate in the 90% range. They are in Fresno, but I think if you contacted them they should be able to give you some local contacts that can help you.

Considering the current health issues it would be nice if you had someone to help with trapping and transport for any that are not fixed.

I found this link, but I don't know anything about them. http://www.feralcatcaretakers.org/
Their address is 9007 Larke Ellen Cir Los Angeles, CA 90035 (310) 820-4122

Their website is very interesting. I bet they would be able to give you some good help.

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi kittymonsters. My heath problems are not so bad, I'm just very fatigued all the time. Even the doctors say I shouldn't be so tired, but I am. I have been in touch with FCCC, even had a long phone conversation with the founder. She's 76 years old but has twice my energy. They cannot help me, however.

Hi kazy, how is your family? I have ordered a trap already from the Tomahawk Traps website online. Thank you for the information. I don't even want to know if I spent more than I needed to!

My own little colony is getting more used to me coming out the back door. The last couple of nights, most of them have been waiting at the feeding bench. They are even starting to look toward the back door instead of the front one.

I have two suitors now: the little black intruder and the buff one. Maybe I can trap them, too! First I'm going after Henry and Alfie. I'd really like to trap Mamie, but I don't know how hopeful I should allow myself to get.

I am giving them a little bowl of wet kibble now, in addition to the piles of dry. It's meant for the older cats, but tonight Lady Day and Josesito were eating it! They are both about 5-6 years old.

Roll Call: Alfie, Blackie, Dude, Henry, Josesito, Lady Day, Louie, Mamie, Oscar, Red, Sneakers. 11 Total

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Katie, I am glad that the health problems are not life threatening, but I know all too well how excessive fatigue and negatively affect one's life. I am sorry you are having to experience it.

I was so hoping the FCCC had info on where you might be able to at least borrow a drop trap for Mamie. They really are the best for cats that can't get caught in a regular trap. However, your new trap might be more sensitive and quicker to release and catch that little girl.

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi kittykmonsters. Yes, I'm hoping that Mamie will fall for the new trap. In the meantime, hopefully, Alfie and Henry will. Heck, maybe the the black intruder will, too.

I went out early tonight, when it was still light and had to call for my cats. Only Blackie, Lady Day, Oscar and Henry came right away. Then I saw Red on the sidewalk by the parking lot, rolling around on his back before he came in. He's so bold now, he went right to the food.

Then I started calling for the others. Little Alfie came down from a tree on the far side of the rec bldg, and Dude came trotting up, meowing. Then while I was getting fresh water I saw Sneakers on the rec bldg. Then Mamie nearby her. Finally Louie came. Josesito was a no-show.

I decided to check on the shelters and the door was dislodged on one. I realized that it was stinking, too! I threw away the pillow inside, and took out all the old newspapers, but it still stunk.

Finally I realized it wasn't the box itself, but the ground under it. Someone -- probably from the offices in the rec bldg, -- had set out a plastic sheet used to put under office chairs, on the sidewalk and the box was on it. Water, and maybe cat piss, had gotten under the plastic sheet and it was all mildrewed and moldy and disgusting. I threw it out.

That led to getting out the gardner's hose to clean the sidewalk and then to watering her plants. She's been neglecting her garden for months now and they have wilted and started dieing. Not good for hiding my shelters in plain sight!

Finally I brought the shelter in and cleaned it out with Fabuloso. My Little Guy is wrestling with the towel I had in it right now!

Roll Call: Alfie, Blackie, Dude, Henry, Lady Day, Louie, Mamie, Oscar, Red, Sneakers. 10 Total.

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hoping all is going ok there Katie. Just wanted to let you know I am thinking about you and the kitties.

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you kittymonsters. The kitties and I are all fine.

I have been feeding them everyday although not as regularly at the same time everyday as before.

Today I had a note from my old foster kitten, Daisy. Her new mom writes as though it is from Daisy herself. She writes:
"I'm having a great time because Second Meowmy and Papa have this week off, and I'm getting even more attention than I normally do which is a lot; however, Second Meowmy has been in San Diuego the past few weekends celebrating her birthday as well as Papa's. Before that, she had the flu for a week, and I sat on top of her -- actually slept on top of her most of the time while she rested on the couch. Papa is going to be here next week, and we will have quality time together. Second Meowmy only stays one night in San Diego because she misses me so much. Papa talks to me on the phone because Second Meowmy puts the phone to my ear."
It makes me feel happy that she is so happy and that we were able to find such a great home for her.

Daisy was Bonita's kitten. Bonita abandoned her when she got pregnant while Daisy and her brother, Josesito, were only 5 weeks old. Josesito was taken care of by Bonita, while Daisy was abandoned. Now Daisy has a great home and little Josesito is still living outside.

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm still not feeding at regular times, so not too sure who is coming when.

When I got home from dinner tonight at 8pm I was greeted by Oscar and Lady Day. Alfie, Louie, Blackie and Henry were also there.

Henry was very upset because the little black intruder (who is very small seen close-up) was challenging him. He was making high-pitched squeals and wails. Henry is such a sad sack. He has never adjusted to outdoor life. He is dirty and disheveled all the time. On the other hand, he has bitten me twice when I've tried to pet him and reassure him, so I can't honestly say he's adoptable.

I hope my trap arrives soon.

Roll Call: Alfie, Blackie, Henry, Josesito, Lady Day, Louie, Oscar. 7 Total.

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tonight I made it home around 10pm. The little black intruder actually met me at the gate! I guess he's noticed I'm the nice person that feeds the cats. Maybe even him, I'm still not sure why he's hanging around. He looks so much like Blackie, that I actually have tell them apart by body language. He's smaller than Blackie, but not by enough that I can tell unless I see both of them.

I saw Henry in daylight today and was unhappy to see that what I thought was a black mark from under the cars, was actually a big sore. A part of his skin is actually hanging off. I hope the trap comes soon, so I can get him to a vet. I don't know how I'm going to arrange transportation because my daughter is going to Las Vegas for spring break.

Roll Call: Alfie, Blackie, Dude, Henry, Josesito, Lady Day, Louie, Mamie, Oscar, Red, Sneakers and the little black intruder. 12 total.

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
HAPPY EASTER!!

I had dinner at a friend's tonight, so I left food for the kittycats. When I got home they had only eaten a little.

BUT I had some delicious ham from the dinner, all cut up into tiny cat-size bites. Some of them weren't interested. Sneakers ran off like I was throwing it at her instead of to her. Alfie, Oscar, Henry, Red, and Dude were very happy with their little treats. They were gobbling them up as fast as I could throw them out.

Roll Call: Alfie, Blackie, Dude, Henry, Josesito, Lady Day, Louie, Mamie, Oscar, Red, Sneakers and the little black intruder. 12 Total.