Cats and halloween? (is it really dangerous?)

brooklyn201219

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I'm curious with all this Halloween stuff and it being dangerous for cats. Is it really true that Halloween is a dangerous time of year for cats? Or is that a myth? And if so, when should I start being careful and when is it considered safe?

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure what you mean. Where I live outside is always dangerous to cats. Considering the neighbors untrained nasty loose roaming dogs tried to come through our kitchen window and attack one of our cats you get the idea. When you pet is out of your eyesight they can be the target of any number of unintentional and sadly intentional dangers.

Any holiday that is celebrated in your home may put temptations in your pets path. There are numerous lists on the web describing the physical and poisoning dangers . We run a cat friendly household and if it' isn't safe it isn't here. They are toddlers that can scale the walls.

All of our lower cupboards have childproof latches attached. As do several of the upper cabinets.

As to satanic cults probably not your biggest worry. People will get a black cat for Halloween without thinking about the animals future. Which to me goes back to the shoddy screening process used by all shelters and rescues. I probably made about half the population of the world mad. If someone had done a home inspection for the two rescue dogs next door they would have denied them and put the address on a do not adopt list.

happybird

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Many shelters and rescues stop adopting out black cats around Halloween to avoid people using them as decoration and then abandoning them, and also to prevent any 'ritualistic' use. Unfortunately, lots of people are stupid and heartless and consider cats (and dogs) objects, not beautiful, special, majestic creatues capable of feeling emotion and pain, as we know they are.

I agree with Kittens Mom, any time outside for a cat is dangerous. And that danger rachets up several notches around Halloween. I'd keep any cat, especially black, tuxedo, or other dark colored cat, indoors the week leading up to Halloween. Better to be safe than sorry.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

brooklyn201219

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Not sure what you mean. Where I live outside is always dangerous to cats. Considering the neighbors untrained nasty loose roaming dogs tried to come through our kitchen window and attack one of our cats you get the idea. When you pet is out of your eyesight they can be the target of any number of unintentional and sadly intentional dangers.

Any holiday that is celebrated in your home may put temptations in your pets path. There are numerous lists on the web describing the physical and poisoning dangers . We run a cat friendly household and if it' isn't safe it isn't here. They are toddlers that can scale the walls.

All of our lower cupboards have childproof latches attached. As do several of the upper cabinets.

As to satanic cults probably not your biggest worry. People will get a black cat for Halloween without thinking about the animals future. Which to me goes back to the shoddy screening process used by all shelters and rescues. I probably made about half the population of the world mad. If someone had done a home inspection for the two rescue dogs next door they would have denied them and put the 
Yeah, I was basically talking about the satanic cults and pranksters on Halloween that do sick things to cats. I hear things back and forth about it being myths and it being true. I'm aware of the typical dangers cats face. My personal cat is inside. I am more so concerned about the neighborhood cats..

tuxedoontheloos

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My current cat came into my life last Halloween after he was dumped by some trick or treaters using him as part of their costume. I'm still not not certain if he actually belonged to the kids or if they catnapped him from somewhere.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise

Yeah, I was basically talking about the satanic cults and pranksters on Halloween that do sick things to cats. I hear things back and forth about it being myths and it being true. I'm aware of the typical dangers cats face. My personal cat is inside. I am more so concerned about the neighborhood cats..
Sick minds operate year round. It's a legitimate fear that someone with that mind frame might capitalize on Halloween as an excuse to exercise their sick minds.  Any cat or dog could be a handy target if they're socialized and will willingly go up to strangers if left loose.

Someone who would kill a pet didn't get into this behavior by watching movies, video games or wearing a black trench coat. They simply use these sources to feed and indulge what they would be doing anyway.

And there are people who just hate cats and see them as a pest and have on problem disposing of one. People call AC on their neighbors nuisance dogs but think little of getting rid of a cat. 

I was watching Zoo tonight and a script line said- people who love cats should stay hidden. Referring to cat lovers who were meeting in secret even though the animals are now running wild. However a dogs right to lay on a bar was defended. It's far from the first snide cat remark made on many shows.

And because cats are not human creations bred to be human friendly they don't react like a dog. There is something that just sets some people off about a cats indifference especially to someone they don't know. It's almost like a prey drive in some humans.

So keeping your cat in your home or supervised in a cat secured fence or outdoor area is always best for their safety and our hearts.

Last edited by a moderator:

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With Halloween approaching, both children and adults look forward to the familiar traditions associated with ‘trick or treat’, including dressing up and indulging a sweet tooth. However, the very things that make Halloween so much fun for people can represent a health hazard to some pets and cause a lot of stress to others. 

Never leave your pet (cat OR dog) outside unattended.

Dogs that are tied up can’t escape if they become frightened by the excitement of the occasion or the target of 'pranksters'. It's best to keep your dog inside the house, garage, or other safe place. And cat's are more likely to become the target of abduction. Since cats, especially black cats, have an historical association with Halloween rituals, it is a good idea to confine your cat to the house for several days (even weeks, if possible) prior to Halloween. Sadly, many black cats go missing at this time of year. (Many shelters across the U.S. ban black cat adoptions throughout the month of October, and as early as August, due to the vast number of people wanting them for decorative party and photo props, costume enhancements, and 'other' activities associated with Halloween). 

While satanic rituals DO happen, I think more abuse and mistreatment is due to bored teenagers trying to be 'bad-asses' with their friends, and a lot of this is a result of peer pressure. They want to 'fit in with the crowd'. For some odd reason, young boys (and some girls) find this type of activity to be 'funny'. It's really sad to think about.

But there are other things to consider during the Halloween season regarding the safety and comfort of your pet (again, this can apply to both cats and dogs). 

Keep your pet away from the front door while you are handing out Halloween treats. Let your pet relax in his or her own quiet space, whether it is a room with a closed door or the safety of a crate or carrier. The increased number of boisterous visitors in strange or weird costumes may alarm your dog, who may conclude that his territory needs to be protected and become unexpectedly aggressive. For your cat, it can cause unwarranted stress which could have short or long-term effects. Each time the door is opened there is a chance that your pet may slip outside. Ensure that your pet is wearing an identification tag (or is micro-chipped) in case this does happen.

Make sure that any candles (and jack-o-lanterns) are safely out of harm’s way. Both dogs and cats may sniff or paw at unfamiliar objects, which can lead to injuries such as burns or even house fires.

Do not place bowls of candy or chocolate within reach of your pet. (If your pet is a ‘scavenger’, consider making or purchasing special Halloween treats that are ‘pet friendly’ just for him/her).

When your children return home with their loot, they should keep both the treats and their wrappers out of reach of your pets. Swallowed foil or other candy wrappers can cause serious health problems. Candy is very unhealthy for a pet and may cause vomiting or diarrhea. Chocolate is particularly toxic to pets, especially in large doses.

If you are accompanying your children on their rounds, leave the family pet at home. All the noise and activity could frighten your pet and that could possibly cause aggressive behavior. Your pet might be more apt to dash into the street while trying to follow/play with the crowd or because it is scared.

If you choose to dress your pet in a costume be sure that your pet is clearly at ease with it. If your pet does submit to wearing a costume, avoid anything elastic that may constrict an airway or blood supply or otherwise cause skin irritation. Be sure it doesn't have any additions that could be a potential choking hazard (button, bows, and the like).

Remember that your pet does not understand what Halloween is all about. Be sympathetic to any fears and anxieties and offer him or her a quiet place of refuge for the evening. Don’t force your pet to participate in the festivities if there are any signs of distress.

Take responsibility for your pet and keep it from harm!

(the pic below is my cat, Keeker)

View media item 299114

camillel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Any time is dangerous for outdoor cats. If your cat is indoors like mine are, just keep a close watch that they don't get out. Kids like to play pranks and I know my cats don't like it. I dress up my cat for haloween so he greets everyone at the door in my arms. My other cat stays upstairs.

lykakitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ever since a friend's black cat slipped out on Halloween and was beaten to death by teenagers (horrible, horrible tragedy, one that I'm still upset about years later and that ruined my friend's favorite holiday and had her in tears for months) I don't let any of my animals out on Halloween. The dogs get to go out in the safely fenced-in backyard long enough to go potty but otherwise everybody's inside. Especially Isy, who's a tortoiseshell and looks solid black in the dark. I usually keep her in for the week leading up to Halloween as well. I'd rather deal with an angry cat who wants to go out than lose any of them.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Both black and white cats are targeted by these sickos around Halloween time. Cruel people will use any excuse to do what they want. I have 3 black cats and they do not go outside unsupervised ever and never will if I have anything to say about it.  The closest they get is when I let them go into the screened in porch behind the house as it is fully enclosed. The little lizards that hang out in there don't like it but they do. I am paranoid about this and do random checks daily to make sure everyone is accounted for and hasn't gotten into any trouble or worse, outside. It's just too dangerous out there and I would never forgive myself if something happened. Fortunately, they rarely even go near the door except to greet me when I get home from work. 

We don't have many neighborhood cats anymore. The HOA has them trapped and turned into the Humane Society or Animal Control. 

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise

Ever since a friend's black cat slipped out on Halloween and was beaten to death by teenagers (horrible, horrible tragedy, one that I'm still upset about years later and that ruined my friend's favorite holiday and had her in tears for months) I don't let any of my animals out on Halloween. The dogs get to go out in the safely fenced-in backyard long enough to go potty but otherwise everybody's inside. Especially Isy, who's a tortoiseshell and looks solid black in the dark. I usually keep her in for the week leading up to Halloween as well. I'd rather deal with an angry cat who wants to go out than lose any of them.
While going out with friends in a group might be more likely to set off this behavior it's likely not the first time an animal has suffered at their hands. Cats bring out some kind of primal behavior in some humans. I knew a woman who was deathly afraid of cats as a child. Even the sight of stuffed toy cat could send her into hysterics.

It's important to remember that in 2015 we still have dog fighting, rooster fighting and two year old horses being pounded to death running on the race track. Greyhound racing is still legal in some states. As much as we love our pets not everyone does.

Last edited by a moderator:

catminionjess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I do have 2 male, black cats, but I guess I haven't really ever been afraid that someone would snatch them at Halloween for a ritual sacrifice. Maybe it's just where I live that I don't put much stock into it. My cats don't go outside so they'd have to slip out without me noticing for that to happen. And the way my doors are, I would notice and grab them. You always hear those stories this time of year, but I don't know that they're true stories. I do agree though that there are bad people out there that very well could hurt your pet if it got out. But that is also true any time of year. Luckily both my black boys run and hide when the doorbell rings so I don't worry about them slipping out when I open the door for trick-or-treaters. 

And like others have already said, any holiday season can be a dangerous time for pets. Some seasonal decorations, like those with strings/ribbon/tinsel and a long list of plants like lilies at Easter and poinsettias at Christmas can be harmful to cats. Mostly I just try to keep those types of things away from my cats and make sure they're away from the door when I exit.

freyaandzelda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cats are inside cats, and I haven't had them through any holiday yet, but I've known people who will literally drive off road to run over a cat on just a regular day. I don't see why they wouldn't be just as, if not more malicious on a holiday, especially halloween.

mollyblue

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
As I have said on many occassions, we have a huge stray/feral cat population in my neighborhood... last night on our walk I spied a new little black kitten I had not seen before... after reading this thread, now I am thinking maybe I  need to try to catch him and keep him indoors - just until Halloween has passed - but I think we all know how that would turn out.  I can NOT have 5 cats in that apartment!  I can't. I will just pray for his safety, and the safety of all the little fur babies without a home on Halloween.   And maybe I will even pray for the sick buggards that would harm them.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the "satanic cults" thing was mostly '80s hysteria. But of course black cats are associated with Halloween so there is an increased risk of them being targeted by random cruel people, although they'll probably take whatevr animal they come upon first. But, yes, it is dangerous, though not necessarily because of those reasons. It's a time with a lot of strange cars/people in the neighborhood, roaming packs of unsupervised young people with the extra bravado a costume provides, lots of unsupervised candy, etc. It would be safer to keep any pet indoors and away from the crowds. It's always risky for an outdoor pet but when you have any kind of extra traffic in the area the risks will be increased.

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

When my dad lived in Feyettville one of his neighbors had a pure white cat that a neighborhood kid tried to paint orange and black for Halloween--with a paint ball gun. You might want to be on the look out for pranks like that, and they are the worst the week before and the day of Halloween, as far as I can tell.

morganalefae

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I personally would not let my cat out period. I'm orginally from the USA and I personally dislike holloween and what it now stands for. While living in the USA I did not own a cat(s) but I did own dogs 1 solid black chihuahua,a solid white mix and a black & tan mix who has crazy yellow eyes. All 3 of my dogs there were targets for some of the local teens/young adults, Thankfully none of my animals were hurt. But it honestly does not matter the time of year people will target cats or dogs or other animals if they have the type of mind set.

While holloween is seen as a time for people of the dark arts/dark magick/devil worrshipers/satanists etc. truth of the matter is these people will do all they can to cover their ritual work so no one knows it's going on/has happend. I bet most of the animal killings that are blamed on them were done not by the above stated but by local kids or people who just dont like animals. While I do not agree with the views of the people who follow the dark arts I also do not agree with blaming them for something they may not have done. Please be aware that the dark arts are a real thing and is still much practiced it's not a time line thing or hysteria people are still blaming animal killing and even human killings on people who follow the dark arts wither or not the stated group has done it or not. Innocent until proven guilty but I'm afaird most people have forgotten this and blame whom ever they want.

With that said please keep your cat indoors wither or not it's holloween they are lots of sick people out there that target small animals and it does not matter what color the animal really is. While black cats maybe more targeted during the holloween period fact of the matter is all animals are targets at this "holiday".

I hope this coming holloween is safe for all here on the cat site.