Cats and halloween? (is it really dangerous?)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brooklyn201219

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Ever since a friend's black cat slipped out on Halloween and was beaten to death by teenagers (horrible, horrible tragedy, one that I'm still upset about years later and that ruined my friend's favorite holiday and had her in tears for months) I don't let any of my animals out on Halloween. The dogs get to go out in the safely fenced-in backyard long enough to go potty but otherwise everybody's inside. Especially Isy, who's a tortoiseshell and looks solid black in the dark. I usually keep her in for the week leading up to Halloween as well. I'd rather deal with an angry cat who wants to go out than lose any of them.
Omg!! Thats terrible!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brooklyn201219

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

As I have said on many occassions, we have a huge stray/feral cat population in my neighborhood... last night on our walk I spied a new little black kitten I had not seen before... after reading this thread, now I am thinking maybe I  need to try to catch him and keep him indoors - just until Halloween has passed - but I think we all know how that would turn out.  I can NOT have 5 cats in that apartment!  I can't. I will just pray for his safety, and the safety of all the little fur babies without a home on Halloween.   And maybe I will even pray for the sick buggards that would harm them.
The same thing happened to me last night! My cat got out and while we were looking for her a friendly black cat came right up to us. While it's nice to be greeted by a friendly cat, I didn't like the fact he would go up to just anyone, especially with Halloween coming up.

mollyblue

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well this kitten didn't come up to anyone and was darting about hiding under the trash cans and cars.  Its funny with the feral cats, when they see me out walking my cats, they often follow along trying to be undetected, but as we make our way around the complex I will catch glimpses of them.  In some ways I almost think that is worse for this little kitty though because for some people, the thrill is in the chase.  If the kitty just comes up all purrs and cuddles... some people may decide they don't have the heart to harm it (and of course some people are just mean and lazy and would take advantage of its innocence), but if they have to chase it down and it is hissing and scratching, they may just feel vindicated in being mean to it.

catminionjess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The same thing happened to me last night! My cat got out and while we were looking for her a friendly black cat came right up to us. While it's nice to be greeted by a friendly cat, I didn't like the fact he would go up to just anyone, especially with Halloween coming up.
How exactly would a black cat (or any cat) know it's Halloween time so it should therefore avoid strangers? If it was a neighbors cat, it should have been indoors. If it was a stray, it was looking for food or affection. 

magiksgirl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Many shelters and rescues stop adopting out black cats around Halloween to avoid people using them as decoration and then abandoning them, and also to prevent any 'ritualistic' use. Unfortunately, lots of people are stupid and heartless and consider cats (and dogs) objects, not beautiful, special, majestic creatues capable of feeling emotion and pain, as we know they are.

I agree with Kittens Mom, any time outside for a cat is dangerous. And that danger rachets up several notches around Halloween. I'd keep any cat, especially black, tuxedo, or other dark colored cat, indoors the week leading up to Halloween. Better to be safe than sorry.
Tuxedo cats are also at risk? I thought "they had to be all black", oh god! I have 3 tuxedo kitties .

Mine are indoor / outdoor kitties, so I don't think they will enjoy being cooped up for a month 
 How long before Halloween should I confine them?

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Tuxedo cats are also at risk? I thought "they had to be all black", oh god! I have 3 tuxedo kitties .

Mine are indoor / outdoor kitties, so I don't think they will enjoy being cooped up for a month 
 How long before Halloween should I confine them?
Unfortunately, there are some 
 kids/teens/young people out there who really don't care what color the cat is. Any cat (and even small dogs) are at the hands of these cretins who feel harming a pet or making it the 'center of their entertainment' is funny! A tuxedo is mostly black and that is enough to trigger the depraved mind of an abuser. And, regardless what some might think or believe, it is (especially) during this time of year that certain 'rituals' are performed by specific 'groups' and this is not limited to isolated geographic locations. It might not be common behavior and not always 'news worthy', but it does happen. 

Yes, some of the posters here have said this (abduction/abuse) could happen at any time, on any given day, in any part of the world, and that is true. Animal abusers don't mark their calenders. However, Halloween is when this type of barbaric activity increases! 

My sister always kept her cat indoors from the 1st of October (even though he was only otherwise allowed out into her wire-fenced back yard). She never risked the chance of him accidentally escaping or someone climbing her fence. And, as I noted in an earlier post, most all shelters and rescues in the U.S. have a ban on adopting or selling black cats as early as August. Often this will include an all white cat as well. 

While my boys are strictly indoors in a 3rd floor apartment with no balcony, I would never take the risk or subject them to a potential hazard if we lived elsewhere. 

Just make a conscious effort to  keep your babies safe. This isn't meant to cause undue panic - it is meant as a precautionary warning to those who are unaware.

morganalefae

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would like to state that not all groups practice animal sacrifices most groups that do this is linked to the dark arts. I would also like to state that it's not just followers of the dark arts that have rights or rituals at this time of year wiccans/pagans who are very animal friendly see this time of year as "sacred" if you will. But like the others have said just keep them indoors as much as possible!

camillel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have one cat that likes to go outside for 1 hour a day He is not allowed outside for the entire month of October I never know what people are thinking BUT I will not risk my SAM. He is special. He greets the trick or treaters in my arms every year.

catminionjess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Black Cat Appreciate Day is August 17. It is meant to encourage people to adopt black cats and debunk the stigma and myth that black cats are evil etc. It would defeat the purpose if shelters and rescues then banned adopting out black cats in August. Perhaps in late September and October they would do so as Halloween approaches.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in a rural area. Despite it being 2015 and the majority of sane pet owners keeping their pets confined to their property there is still a plethora of dog and cat owners that think it's OK to let their animals run free. As a result the roads are littered with their bodies and some are simply never seen again.  Your wandering cat or dog left unsupervised may cause damage or usually in the case of dogs kill and injure other pets or livestock.

The only place your pet belongs is on your property, in your home or on a leash.

While I understand and sympathize with the concept of TNR it does nothing to protect them from humans and loose dogs or the tires of cars.  When my neighbors get tired of their latest kitten and toss it out the door I trap them if they set up housekeeping over here and take them to the shelter. Their cats are not vaccinated , wormed or fixed.

Both of our cats are from litters of their abandoned cats left to fend for themselves. For years we spent a fortune on cat food trying to keep them from starving and fixing them as we could. Sadly one household out here produced probably a thousand cats , two of which are still alive and living in my home. They are so dear to us I have trouble understand how anyone could open a door and let one roam.

I'm pretty open about the fact I don't care for dogs. I take some regular flack for it. For some reason not liking dogs makes you a mental case and just as easily loving cats makes you some type of nut.  I know it's different in other countries like the UK and even other states. Where I live a loose cat is a fun target. Even reporting that the neighbors roaming dogs tried to come though our window and attack one of our cats seemed to generate little response.

Most commercial cat enclosures and fencing is designed to keep your cat in. It may do a very poor job of keeping danger out. A lot of the zip up tents and mesh enclosures have nylon zippers. They split easily under pressure. We found this out on an expensive Sherpa carrier that Kitten learned in five minutes how to split and escape. Lucky for us we were still at home and getting ready to leave.

I have yet to see the book, 100 and 1 Uses for a Dead Dog. If you love your cat keep them in and supervised when outside.  

athegaylouise

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Luckily I keep both my little babies inside all the time. My little 2 month old Dallas is all black and I can't imagine anything happening to him. People are psycho! I would be too paranoid to let my cats outside anyway, Halloween or not. 

They are little spoiled indoors cats lol 

morganalefae

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Luckily I keep both my little babies inside all the time. My little 2 month old Dallas is all black and I can't imagine anything happening to him. People are psycho! I would be too paranoid to let my cats outside anyway, Halloween or not. 

They are little spoiled indoors cats lol 
People are psycho? Thats kinda lumping everyone in there..Just saying. and I think most cats here are spoiled indoor cats lol I know mine are to.

magiksgirl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

People are psycho? Thats kinda lumping everyone in there..Just saying. and I think most cats here are spoiled indoor cats lol I know mine are to.
It's just a saying @Morganalefae, don't take it so personally, just saying. People are  psycho. You can never know what's going on in the mind of someone or what crazy things someone might be thinking of doing.

I once overheard a dude in a supermarket, after being rung up and handed his change by the nice lady turn around and in the most serious voice say "I hope you get hit by a car today". He then realized he had said it out loud and looked around to see if anyone heard him, and went on his way. Moral of the story: you just never know.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For your indoor cat, Halloween has two dangers.

1) You'll likely be opening the front door a lot, and be slightly distracted by the kids at your door, which is a recipe for a lost cat. You may want to confine your cat for the evening.
2) Chocolate. We've had good luck handing out quarters to trick-or-treaters. If you really want to be generous, get a roll of Sacagawea dollars from the bank.

For outdoor cats, yes, I'm sorry, but the crazies do come out on Halloween. Most people would never think of hurting a cat, but it only takes one.

Margret

morganalefae

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@MagiksGirl I'm not taking what she said personally and it maybe a saying but it still sounds like she is lumping everyone in there to me wither you agree or not you have your option and I have mine. I personally would have just said some people are pyscho because that is by far more true. But like I said thats just my 2 pence worth. have a blessed day! btw that was horrid for that guy to do but karma will be back around.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Mine are indoor / outdoor kitties, so I don't think they will enjoy being cooped up for a month :doh3:  How long before Halloween should I confine them?:sigh:
During the middle ages all cats were believed to be agents of the devil. If you kept a cat, it was likely that someone would decide the cat was your familiar, and report you for witchcraft. This is believed to be one of the causes of the black death; there weren't enough cats to keep the rat population in check.

Now, people think black cats are "unlucky," and because Halloween mostly happens in the dark they've become almost synonymous with the holiday, but that original prejudice against all cats lingers. Also, as has already been mentioned, white cats are also at risk, and what is a tuxedo cat if not black and white, mostly black?

Bad things happen to outdoor cats year round, not all of them caused by humans. Indoor only cats have a longer life span. I don't wish to impose my views on you, but perhaps now would be a good time to begin training yours to be indoor only, except for frequent walks on a leash.

Margret

csts

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I developed a strategy for minimizing the chance that my indoor kitties can escape outside on Halloween as well as the chance that they could get into the candy and non-food goodies--which are things like glow sticks/bracelets, glow-in-the-dark vampire fangs, stickers, etc. (Our neighborhood is very dark out here in the desert, so I give the glow sticks and glow bracelets to all of the kids, not just the ones who have food allergies.) I and my husband set up folding chairs and sit outside on the porch to wait for the trick-or-treaters so that we don't have to keep opening and closing the screen door and keep the bowls of candy and goodies outside with us.

Char-Char and Sakura are free to observe the festivities from behind the safety of the screen door, which is solid metal grating, or the windows, or they can go retreat to their favorite spots to hide inside the house. This year, my hubby is deployed so I'll be by myself, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem since we didn't get very many trick-or-treaters last year. I'll probably have to keep something with me to distract the cats when I have to go in or out during a lull in the action, like their toys, treats, or the spray bottle as a last resort --getting squirted by a little bit of water is much better than ending up as coyote (the biggest danger out here) chow.

Then again, the temperature is still in the 80's-90's Fahrenheit (26-37 degrees Celsius) even in October here, so it is mostly comfortable enough for us to meet the trick-or-treaters outside, so this tip may not work as well for those who live in much colder climates.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
Our cats have large comfortable crates. they have litter boxes , water dishes and there is even a hammock in each one.  The crates are places where the cats can see what's going on. After confining them we zip tie the doors. Our neighbors have loose dogs no matter how often we call AC and coyotes are not uncommon. The holding system is usually good for 1-2 hours. Every home needs repair people or something done that opens a portal to the outside. This releases us from the worry someone opens a wrong door or leaves one open. It also keeps us from looking for a hidy cat later trying to figure out if they're under something or out the door. While I doubt either of our cats would go out the door you can't get it in writing from them.

Most housecats retain a rather infantile mentality. Mine think they can hide behind a sock or under a scratchy toy with fluffy butt and tail hanging out.

While keeping them indoors is the safest and best way to give them longer healthier lives it removes them from learning how to defend themselves. Or even recognize danger.

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I developed a strategy for minimizing the chance that my indoor kitties can escape outside on Halloween as well as the chance that they could get into the candy and non-food goodies--which are things like glow sticks/bracelets, glow-in-the-dark vampire fangs, stickers, etc. (Our neighborhood is very dark out here in the desert, so I give the glow sticks and glow bracelets to all of the kids, not just the ones who have food allergies.) I and my husband set up folding chairs and sit outside on the porch to wait for the trick-or-treaters so that we don't have to keep opening and closing the screen door and keep the bowls of candy and goodies outside with us.

Char-Char and Sakura are free to observe the festivities from behind the safety of the screen door, which is solid metal grating, or the windows, or they can go retreat to their favorite spots to hide inside the house. This year, my hubby is deployed so I'll be by myself, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem since we didn't get very many trick-or-treaters last year. I'll probably have to keep something with me to distract the cats when I have to go in or out during a lull in the action, like their toys, treats, or the spray bottle as a last resort --getting squirted by a little bit of water is much better than ending up as coyote (the biggest danger out here) chow.

Then again, the temperature is still in the 80's-90's Fahrenheit (26-37 degrees Celsius) even in October here, so it is mostly comfortable enough for us to meet the trick-or-treaters outside, so this tip may not work as well for those who live in much colder climates.
That is a perfect solution!

The weather here in the mid-west is starting to cool down.  It's still 61* here at 12:30 A.M. but it's supposed to go down to about 52* overnight. And looking at the prediction for late October/Halloween, it is 'predicted' by the weatherman to be about 62* through the day and drop to 40* late that night. I'm getting too old for this stupid cold weather! LOL 

Keep your kitties safe and a VERY special THANK YOU to both you and your hubby!  I appreciate his service and I know that being a military wife is difficult!