Cat weight question

Moemah123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I have 2 cat siblings a male and female. Over past few months I have noticed the male car grow larger in size and weight specially. He is now 12 pounds compared to his 10 pound sister. I have completely moved them to wet food from dry food with brands like tiki, wellness, instinct etc however they have not lost weight despite me using less than suggested feeding portion as they don't eat much. They are happy with 3-4 3oz cans per day (shared not each) I play with them alot and he is very active. I just can't help but feeling he looks over weight. Is it obvious from pics and what can I do to make him look healthier if he isn't.

Thank you alot!

Forgot to add they are 1 year 2 month old

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. He is very furry, so that it makes it harder to determine if he is overweight. The first thing I would do is compare him to a body condition chart, which I have included below. It isn't just the look; it also involves the 'feel' as noted in the bottom of the chart. The one thing I hate about these charts is that they never note the primordial pouch that most adult cats have - the saggy sack immediately in front of their hind legs. That is very normal and is not to be factored into determining whether or not a cat is overweight.

Not all cats that weigh 12 pounds are overweight. Let us know how he compares, and then we can go from there.
Body-Condition-Feline-Chart.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Moemah123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You are right about him being very furry. So when he is running his back view is similar to 7 but when he is standing still he is between 5 and 6

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Moemah123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can't find edit option on phone so Apologize. For feel I can describe his belly as can be fit in handful and I can feel some ribs without digging any fingers but when he runs its his stomach that looks like number 7 that alarmed me and his 2 pound weight difference

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Over past few months I have noticed the male car grow larger in size and weight specially. He is now 12 pounds compared to his 10 pound sister.
This is normal. A male cat is always larger in size and heavier as compared to a female cat. Use the chart above as a guide. A little on the fat side is ok.

For feel I can describe his belly as can be fit in handful and I can feel some ribs without digging any fingers but when he runs its his stomach that looks like number 7 that alarmed me and his 2 pound weight difference
The stomach is always rounder to the feel. Run your hands gently on his sides instead of the stomach and feel his ribs without pressing hard. If you can feel the ribs as in not boney, he should be fine at that weight.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I can't find edit option on phone so Apologize.
After you have been a member for 5 days and have 20 posts, you will be able to edit your posts. Once you have posted a reply, the word 'Edit' will appear in the bottom left-hand corner of your post, and you can ciick on that. Here is more about what your member statuses mean/are and what you can do over time -
Promotions and Benefits | TheCatSite

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Males are usually larger than females. My male cat was 8 pounds when he was 6 months old. He's now 12 and weighs about 12 pounds. He finally leveled out around age 2. My female kitties are 8 -10 pounds and much more petite. They all eat the same food, but not the same serving size.