Cat urinating on my porch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

woozles98

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I step on my front porch, there is a nasty smell of urine on the porch.
My kitty doesn't go outside, some other kitty must be the culprit.
How/what can I do/use to stop this nasty smelling behavour?
Thanks

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can't say for sure you should use this, but maybe check into it. They make a spay of some kind that it labeled for just these outdoor roamers. I would at least go look and see what is in it. I havn't looked to make sure it is fairly safe to use. It is suppose to detour strays from getting into your yard. If your cat never goes out..then no, theres no chance it is your kitty.

cynthiak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just bought a house for our daughter. It's cleaning up (inside) very nicely and smelling better too. However, when you are unlocking the front door the smell of cat urine in the area on either side of the small front porch is overwhelming. Short of digging up the ground - which I'm prepared to do to remedy this - is there a product we can use outside that will last. While fixing the house up I've noticed not less than three cats - one obviously a male - roaming about. No collar or tags. None appeared to be 'owned' by humans - don't have that nice sleek look about them, am sure you know what I mean.
I would like to buy something to neutralize the smell easily. But what do I buy and where???? Failing that, am prepare to dig up the dirt, but have no idea how deeply I must dig. The front yard is not level and we plan to do some regrading this spring so this is not a huge thing but hate to dig away 12" of dirt only to find out I should have dug away 18" and the smell returns. The next - obvious - problem is: How do I keep the problem from reoccurring. How do I keep the cats from marking this territory which is MINE, not their's in the future? There will be a territorial Rottweiler in the house but he will not have access (unleashed) to the front yard so it's not like he'll be able to run them off. In the back yard there is no known problem and the dog will have access to intruders there.
I like kitties, don't like them stinking up the place. The smell is horrendous and the weather is cold, cannot imagine what it will be like in summer when it is warm and damp. They won't be able to open the front windows for the smell!

[email protected]

Many thanks,
CynthiaK

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
That's not a nice situation at all. Cat urine can be very smelly.

My first thought is can you trap the cats and have them neutered? There's a good chance that that may stop them from marking their/your territory.

I do hope the dog won't get to them though. Rottweilers can easily kill cats. I hope someone here will have some more tips for you.

cynthiak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The Rottweiler has had his own personal kitten (we named him 'Toy' because the Rottie would play with him when he was a wee thing. Kitten was a midget, head grew, body didn't and we didn't expect him to live. He grew and grew and his body caught up with his head and he is a gorgeous registered Himalayan adult male with Paul Newman eyes! LOL). The Rottweiler, named Tonka, is fine with cats (his own) and likes them just fine, doesn't chase or pester, but he doesn't like ANY strange animals invading his space - not wild about people who invade his space although on neutral territory he is fine with everyone and everything. He has a particular aversion to UPS trucks and we have no idea why. Just parks himself in the middle of the drive and puffs himself up so he looks bigger (not necessary, he's big enough at 139 as it is!) and refuses to budge.

I would not consider for one moment going to the time, trouble or expensive of having someone else's cat neutered. I would seriously consider humane traps and a trip to the local SPCA (it is NOT a no-kill facility).

I've spent hours on the web searching for products and advice, the best I came up with was UofOhio or OhioUniversity newsletter on the subject. May try that. Something called Kennel Odor Eliminator which is industrial/commercial strength. Also something called CAT-OFF that you get from the vet, probably pricey.

I'm off to try a protein eater on it since we've had a few dry days and it should soak in. Will use a stronger than recommended dosage and see how it works.

Ta,
CynthiaK

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
From what I have read the smell of vinigar and amonia mixed is supposed to detour pets. All I have ever read about the smell is to cover up the dirt with fresh stuff. To keep cats from using the dirt as a litter box, you are supposed to put chicken wire just under the dirt, it is supposed to feel fairly unpleasant. As far as the depth, you should be able to smell the soiled dirt and how far down it goes. Do you think it is urine or a male spraying and marking territory?

cynthiak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I found a bottle of some stuff I've had around the house and mixed up a strong batch (used hot water). I'll check on the name of it and post it here because it worked wonderfully well! I also considered whether it was urine or if it was male spray. So, when I applied it generously I poured it from about 24" down on the brick of the house and the porch. ZAP! Like my fairy godmother waved her wand. Smell was gone. Checked after 10 min, after one-half and then about two hours later and there is NO scent. Today is another day and will check (not my home, my daughter's) later today and keep you posted. I did not cover the disgusting smell, this is not perfumey. At most it might smell like the lighter dryer sheets. We will probably be putting down a brick patio there or an extended porch which should help move the problem away.

Thanks for your concern.

Cynthia

lynda

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cynthia,
I have used moth balls to kept stray cats from peeing in my flower beds (cat pee kills the flowers!!) and it worked for me...might be worth a try combined with the chicken wire to keep them from coming back and remarking what they consider "their house" until you get the area covered with a patio or porch, etc.
Good luck!
Lynda

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
ACK...please don't use mothballs. The fumes from mothballs can permanently damage a cats kidneys!!!!

cynthiak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The name of the product I used was 'Simple Solution,' didn't have my glasses on so couldn't read the manufacturer. It's completely dry in that area now and the smell has not returned. I'm thrilled. Now I have to find more of it.

How about if I put mothballs in some sort of open weave bag and hang them in the plants (deep inside the shrubs for example). Would that still hurt the cats?

Cynthia

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Simple solution is a product sold at petco. I am sure you can buy it online as well. It is the odor the mothballs have. So it wouldn't help to hang them, the odor they let out is what is harmful. I will agree that roaming cats are a pain. However these poor guys did not choose to be let outside or left period. You said that you should be putting in a patio, this will definatly help. Maybe try the chicken wire right under the dirt. Cats will always try and cover it. I sure hope you win the battle and the strays move away from the front!!

cynthiak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The 'mulch' we will be using should help. We are using crushed bricks - not exactly easy digging for cats. We will be putting the chicken wire fairly tight up to the bushes we plant (in an attempt to prevent dogs from lifting their leg too near to them). My! City living has its pitfalls, doesn't it? The local SPCA loans out humane traps. Once my daughter moves into the house (and is there every day) we may go that route. True, they do destroy animals that aren't adopted, however, removing them from the neighborhood with spring approaching means we will prevent the birth of unwanted litters. I figure each roaming female can produce 3 litters a year, for a total of close to 15 more unwanted kittens and the next year they are doing the same. Yes, I think the traps are the route to take. The SPCA does hang on to young and/or attractive, healthy animals for quite a length of time as they are more adoptable. The wandering male in the neighborhood is a good looking Romeo - large, cobby body, black. I expect he'll find a good home. The females are awfully skinny and worn out looking and nothing special to look at.

Thank you for your help and your advice. My husband cannot believe this is a topic on the Internet. I keep telling him there is NOTHING you can dream up that is not a topic on the Net. He may believe me now. LOL

Cynthia

lynda

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, now I feel just great....I had no idea that mothballs could be dangerous for kitties. I would never, never have put them out if I had known. Can't even remember where I first heard to do that. Thanks so much for the info...won't be putting any out there this year, thats for sure!!
Lynda

cynthiak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Linda, don't beat yourself up too much. We all make mistakes.

Petco DOES have Simple Solution and it runs $8.99 a bottle on-line. Just thought I'd keep you posted on how it's doing. It is raining (has been for several hours) and was at the house and am pleased to announce that, despite the rain there is NO odor. I'm not saying it is reduced. I'm saying it is gone. Do want to impress everyone that I liberally poured it down the brick wall of the house and the porch and I really think that was the trick.

By the way, I read somewhere that pouring vinegar and water on cat urine only helps to 'bind' something in the urine and actually prevents eliminating the odor and makes it more difficult.

Cynthia

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so glad you found it online. I use the simple solution pet odor eliminator and carpet cleaner. I like it very much. There is another product out there as well called XO that works wonders on household stuff. It seems maybe you have solved the problem. Maybe now that the house is going to be lived in, the cats will stay away. The only thing that angers me...is the people who let these cats run free!!! Yes, please keep us posted on the situation or if a new one comes up.

cynthiak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'll keep you informed. Whacked away at some overgrown hedge on the other side of the porch the other day and when I had my head within 12" of the ground noticed a much less strong offending odor. Will repeat using Simple Solution there once I've done what I'm doing. Will be digging up this hedge, planting a white and two deep purple lilacs there and putting crumbled chicken wire around them which will be covered with vinca vines. I think we have the problem remedied or at least improved enough to be tolerable.

Regarding the wandering cats. We were in the military and the family housecat got out on moving day what with movers leaving the door open behind them. I'm of the mind that cats love 'places' more than they love 'people'. I have written to old neighbors who have told me the cat showed up a day or two after we left (and were thousands of miles away) and the new family took them in. I've heard many stories about the family pet refusing to make the move with the military family and happily adopting the new family that moved in. LOL I've also heard about cats exploring empty boxes and winding up being shipped to the next assignment!

Cynthia

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would agree to some extent. However I suppose because I deal with rescue and see a lot of this, I know for a fact people don't want to mess with moving the animal, so they put it outside and leave it. I have been a military wife for 9 years and I am still living the military life. I actually work at an Army vets office. Pets not just cats are a commitment. If you feel you need to "divorce" your pet then at least find it a suitable home, don't just let it go and wander. On moving day or just prior, I put my cats in a kennel or bathroom. I Actually have to say military are the worst for throwing away pets. I could go on and on about responsible pet ownership, but it would just get me all spun up. To each his own and animal abuse and abondonment will never stop. My dog was thrown on the streets and picked up by the pound. He was saved an hour before they euthanized him due to kennel cough. He is a wonderful dog and it is beyond me how he got thrown out!!

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I don't think that cats are more attached to a place then they are to people. We've just moved and 2 weeks later I can say both cats have adjusted wondefully to the move.

You do have to be very careful when moving so as not to lose the cat on the very day. I'm glad your cat is in good hands Cynthia and I'm not saying that you abandoned him in any way (it seems to have been an accident). I just want other cat owners reading this to know that it's very possible to move with your cat. Cats need their human companions much more than they need to be at a certain locality. If you leave a pet behind, chances are that it will be lost and miserable without you and will have the short life expectancy of any stray.

Missi5353

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
From what I have read the smell of vinigar and amonia mixed is supposed to detour pets. All I have ever read about the smell is to cover up the dirt with fresh stuff. To keep cats from using the dirt as a litter box, you are supposed to put chicken wire just under the dirt, it is supposed to feel fairly unpleasant. As far as the depth, you should be able to smell the soiled dirt and how far down it goes. Do you think it is urine or a male spraying and marking territory?
NO AMONIA-It smells like cat urine and attracts the cats MORE!