Cat throwing tantrums until he is walked

cheeseburger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have three cats, and this involves our 3yo neutered male. This kitty was an outdoor cat the first year of his life, and we've struggled with transitioning him to being an indoor cat. After two years of indoor life, he still is clearly depressed and tries to run out the door any chance he gets.

So we started walking him. He loves this. So so so much. He's so clearly happy and the half hour he's walked is his favorite time of day. We follow a lot of the walking best practices. He has a routine. We walk him at 8am every day. We carry him in and out of the house. His walks last exactly a half hour. We do it regardless of weather (he doesn't mind wet or cold as long as he's outside).

The problem is the rest of the day. When he's decided to throw endless tantrums like a three year old because he's not being walked.

The worst is the 6am-8am timeframe from when I get up until when he gets walked. Although he will also tantrum mid-day and at dusk.

The tantrums consist of:
  • screaming, howling, and endless loud meowing at me and at the door
  • jumping onto every surface around me and knowing everything off those surfaces. Including plants, pens, food, dishes, etc.
  • jumping onto my laptop while I am trying to get email done and howling in my face
Things we have tried to address this:
  • ignoring him
  • picking him up and locking him in another room (he'll just continue to scream in there)
  • water spraying (deters him for about 30 seconds)
  • loud noises (deters him for about 30 seconds)
  • distracting him with toys and/or cat tv (works for about 30 seconds then he's back to screaming)
I am losing my mind. Please help.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
If he were mine once you are up and have fed him, I would just shut him in a room until 8:00 and ignore his screams. Maybe throw out some catnip in his room in the hopes it will mellow him out. Eventually he will get tired of screaming but it sounds like he is a stubborn one so it might take a while.

The only other alternative as I see it is to change his walk time to much later in the day. Again you would have to listen to days of screaming but eventually he would figure out the new routine.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well he is 3 afterall lol. Is it possible to walk him twice? Any possibility of a catio?