Cat speak

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

HI, I am glad you brought his up. Lately, my rescue cat has been demanding more and more of my time.  I work at night and I am home in the day 3 days a week.  I make sure I play with him in the morning and before I leave for work and when I come home, even though it is around 1AM!

But lately, he has been howling for my attention all the time.  If I don't respond, he does crazy things - I am exhausted trying to keep him happy.  He will not play with toys only with me with a string on a pole.  I have had him now almost 4 months.  The vet thinks he might be around 1 year or a bit more in age.  This play drive has been growing daily.  He loves to run after me and grab my legs and bite me or he jumps way up in the air to bite my hand - I am his toy.

I really don't know how to satisfy this drive.  He hates cats and dogs or I would consider another rescue cat.  He hisses, spits, and growls at other animals and gets physically sick afterwards, all stressed out . He was found on the street, so he may have been attacked.

I bought him cat tunnels, cat boxes, cozy beds, rugs underneath for warmth.  I put cozy mats on the window sills so he lays there in comfort.  He has many places to rest and explore but I cannot seem to keep up with his growing play drive.

I know he is feeling good and strong now - as he was very underweight and very lethargic before so of course, I am thrilled to see a strong, husky happy cat, but his constant meowing and howling for attention, is exhausting me.  As soon as I pick him up and cuddle him and play with him, he is happy and excited.  Once I stop, the howling and frustration begins again.

Any suggestions?

Meowed out Joyce

Hi Clmgordon:

I can't do any bird feeders.  I live in an apartment and it is not feasible.  He is neutered.  I will try the laser light.  He already growled and hissed at a kitten.  I will not stress him out as I explained, his little body went into shock mode and  it affected him for over 8 hours.  It was traumatic for him to be with other animals.  The vet agreed . She said he is delicate.  I am 66 years old and we both know that is too old to start with a young kitten even though I did rescue Sushi.  He was too sweet to pass by and the vet's office staff wanted to adopt him but none of them could as they already had too many pets.

I love the personality of a Siamese so I couldn't resist him.  He is a fabulous cat.  Affectionate and so trusting.  He lays on his back with his paws up in the air on my bed.  I can wiggle them and kiss them and  gentle kiss his face and he just lays there and stretches out.  I think he is spoiled as I do love him up all the time when I am home.  He loves attention.  

He is so unusual and very demonstrative of what he wants when he wants it.  He wakes me up at 6AM and if I don't get up he jumps on me over and over making annoying sounds.  I laugh  After I feed him and give him fresh water, he comes back in another 30 minutes and wants to play.  I can't win.

Anyway, my comfort is that he is happy and playful and  seems to really feel comfortable in my home and his surroundings.  He sleeps everywhere,  High places, low places, on the floor, in boxes and tunnels, in closets and in his bed.  

Just too cute.

Joyce
Oh, cats can be that way, especially from about 8 weeks to 1.5 years old (or all the time, some cats are just desperate attention seekers). it could be just him, or he could be having a bit of an issue like parasites or an allergy that cause him to be uncomfortable and want extra attention.

He sounds like he gets awesome care.   : )
Hey Joyce, have not heard from you for awhile. Hope everything's fine with you. How's sweet Sushi doing?

I think Sushi is just seeking attention. My boy, nowadays, meow to be carried. Either just to carry him and walk around the house or if he wants to play with certain stuffs that are out of reach. But I find it adorable when he does that. Otherwise he'll lay by his ball pr paper back and wants me to play with him. Of course, I don't have the energy and stamina to catch up with him. So I play peekaboo with him as he runs all over and I just peek at him from the bedroom door and he'll go running all over the house and tables and sofas and finally jump on me. And after a few rounds of that, he'll be panting and it's time to stop
I love it when they go running around!!

My youngest girl says "brrrr!" when my male walks by; this is to greet him and initiate play, which they love.  He's 9, she's 12, and they're like two kittens together! 
The greeting sound. Its so cute when they do that! My Nocturne has been asking a lot of me during night, and she insists I talk to her. She also makes that sound when she looses a treat or a toy she was playing with under a desk or behind something. She walks up to me and asks me to get it for her. So cute (and tiring).

thecatsmum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Why do my cats YELL at their toys before they take them in their mouths and bring them to me?
It sounds like their DYING but yet when we hear that sound we know the *Gift giving* is about to begin.

What is that?

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Why do my cats YELL at their toys before they take them in their mouths and bring them to me?
It sounds like their DYING but yet when we hear that sound we know the *Gift giving* is about to begin.

What is that?
They're proud of the "prey" they caught for you.
Nym and Genny both have a special yell they use when they want us to come and praise them. They insist we see their gift before they eat it. It's really cute, though honestly I'm not in to seeing them eat it.  : )

All cats will have their specific times and methods of introducing their gift, and some may be louder than others when asking you to come see their good work. Genny just needs a few nice words, Nym usually wants a second meal soon afterwards, for a reward or something.

thecatsmum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I thought that it was their *Offerings* and it starts up around meal time.

They bring the catnip mouse, they get dinner.

They also STEAL things, such as my husband's glasses and my lipstick, then *give* them to us later.

Treasure time, as I call it, never fails to warm our hearts.

Thanks for your answers and stories!

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I thought that it was their *Offerings* and it starts up around meal time.

They bring the catnip mouse, they get dinner.

They also STEAL things, such as my husband's glasses and my lipstick, then *give* them to us later.

Treasure time, as I call it, never fails to warm our hearts.

Thanks for your answers and stories!

Cats do get really happy giving their owners things. I guess its a way to show you they are there and care enough about you to share if need be. Or perhaps a way of saying "I'll give a little and get a little". It probably depends on the cat what they mean by it. Like I said, sometimes they leave the animals for us, sometimes they just want praise and then eat them themselves.

That's so cute they steal things just to give them back!!  : )

dimestorehalo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I find inter-species also very interesting.  I had a little bitty kitty (6 lbs full grown) named Oreo.  I also had a 130-lb malamute/wolf cross named Wallace.  Wallace loved small animals and babies.  Oreo was about 6 months old when she showed up at my house.  Wallace loved her from the start.  He tried to give her a bath, and slobbered all over her.  Soaking wet, she shot him the famous cat glare and stalked off. 

Within 2 weeks, I noticed that he was giving her a proper cat bath and she was loving it!  How did this mostly non-talkative cat manage to relay her requirements to this large, goofy dog?

As a poignant note, they passed within about 6 months of each other, and she is buried on top of him, so he can take care of her always

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I find inter-species also very interesting.  I had a little bitty kitty (6 lbs full grown) named Oreo.  I also had a 130-lb malamute/wolf cross named Wallace.  Wallace loved small animals and babies.  Oreo was about 6 months old when she showed up at my house.  Wallace loved her from the start.  He tried to give her a bath, and slobbered all over her.  Soaking wet, she shot him the famous cat glare and stalked off. 

Within 2 weeks, I noticed that he was giving her a proper cat bath and she was loving it!  How did this mostly non-talkative cat manage to relay her requirements to this large, goofy dog?

As a poignant note, they passed within about 6 months of each other, and she is buried on top of him, so he can take care of her always
That's amazing! And so sweet too.   : )