Cat speak

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I find it really fascinating how we as cat owners learn to recognize our own cats individual ways of speaking to us through their sounds. Some are really talkative, some are mostly silent, but we learn what they mean and they learn how to get their point across. Feel free to share your cats ways of talking too!!! 

Our cat Nym has a sound for when he wants food, a sound for when he wants in or out, and the call he makes when he wants you to wait for him to catch up on a walk out in our field.

Genny has her food sound, her "I just caught you a trophy, come praise me" sound, her loud call through the basement door when she feels forgotten, and her really excited "I've been paid attention to" sound. She also growls a lot when miffed at me.

Nocturne has her "pay attention to me" sound, her playful sound, her "where are you?" sound, her hungry sound, and her excited "greeting' trill that her mother used.

I can also tell my cats apart by their meows. Scardy-cat has a higher, more excited and questioning sound than her brother, Tiger-tail. Tabby sounds similar but if you pay attention you can catch the difference. And the yowl of a new tom-cat on the block is unmistakable (Chester, PI and I'm sure Bert, Black Cat, and Mesa all did this when they decided they wanted our house as their new territory).

Some "WORDS" in Cat-speak::::

Trill, Chirps, chirrups   ---- a mother cat talking to her kittens, a cat asking for attention, or a cat that is excited, happy and/or playing

Hiss  ----   feels threatened and afraid

Growl   -----   anger or fear, may include snarls or yowls

Chatter   ---   the sound a cat makes when it wants to get to a prey animal

Miaow, mau and meow   -----   generally a cat asking for something (food, play, attention), greeting, ect. A long meow may mean frustration and loud, desperate meows may mean a cat is scared or sick

Meeoo, Meeoo  or Mew   ----   sound of a hungry kitten

Noine, Noine, Noine    ---- a sound some cats make while eating

Wheeou, wheeou   -----   sound of a kitten calling its mother

Yowl    -----    often made by tomcats for territorial reasons, but any cat can make the sound. Can also show signs of discomfort or worry, or calling for a mate

Caterwaul   ------  the call of a female cat in heat

Scream   ----- a breeding female or cats in a full-out fight

Purr    ----   a cat that is content with your presence, whether it be in pain or even dying, or is happy and getting attention. They may also "worry-purr" about something

Squeak  ----  a cat being picked up in the midst of a meow may make a squeaking sound. Kittens lifted by the scruff have been described as "squaking"

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My kitten sounds like an old man talking to himself. She especially does it in between bites of food because she loves eating. 

losna

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh man. I can definitely tell my cats apart. Sinbad has such a huge range of vocals that he sounds like he is speaking a foreign language or a kid babbling, it doesn't sound like an animal most of the time at all. Bêlit squeaks and creaks and sounds like a rusty squeaky door. Tempest murrs, makes a noise that sounds like msquee, and shrieks like a jungle bird.

In terms of intelligible phrases, Bêlit has the fewest - which stands to reason as she is unquestionably the least intelligent of the three. She has I'm hungry, I'm scared, Pick me up, Where are you? and I JUST HAD A NIGHTMARE SCARED SCARED!!!

Tempest has I'm hungry, Where's daddy? I'm lonely, Daddy come pet me, someone come pet me, what's going on? and Daddy you're late it's our cuddle time!!

Sinbad ... has just so many. I'm hungry, Come eat with me, I need to poop someone come guard me, my litterbox is dirty, there's a fire, someone come here because someone is sick here, lie down you're sick, where are you, I'm sad Tempest rejected me, mommy your kitchen timers went off and you missed it, .. I could go on, he really has just tons and tons of things he communicates and he develops more all the time. Each of these 'phrases' so to speak is actually distinct and identifiable. It's not uncommon for him to spout out some new string of sounds and both hubby and I spend time trying to puzzle out what he's trying to communicate. Often it can be pretty easy, he'll keep repeating the pattern of sounds, and if one of us gets up he'll lead us to whatever it is. It's really amazing.

The two that amuse me the most are "come eat with me" and "come guard me while I poop" 

I often try to record him, but he hates cameras. The moment one comes out he shuts up and stops what he's doing. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Oh man. I can definitely tell my cats apart. Sinbad has such a huge range of vocals that he sounds like he is speaking a foreign language or a kid babbling, it doesn't sound like an animal most of the time at all. Bêlit squeaks and creaks and sounds like a rusty squeaky door. Tempest murrs, makes a noise that sounds like msquee, and shrieks like a jungle bird.

In terms of intelligible phrases, Bêlit has the fewest - which stands to reason as she is unquestionably the least intelligent of the three. She has I'm hungry, I'm scared, Pick me up, Where are you? and I JUST HAD A NIGHTMARE SCARED SCARED!!!

Tempest has I'm hungry, Where's daddy? I'm lonely, Daddy come pet me, someone come pet me, what's going on? and Daddy you're late it's our cuddle time!!

Sinbad ... has just so many. I'm hungry, Come eat with me, I need to poop someone come guard me, my litterbox is dirty, there's a fire, someone come here because someone is sick here, lie down you're sick, where are you, I'm sad Tempest rejected me, mommy your kitchen timers went off and you missed it, .. I could go on, he really has just tons and tons of things he communicates and he develops more all the time. Each of these 'phrases' so to speak is actually distinct and identifiable. It's not uncommon for him to spout out some new string of sounds and both hubby and I spend time trying to puzzle out what he's trying to communicate. Often it can be pretty easy, he'll keep repeating the pattern of sounds, and if one of us gets up he'll lead us to whatever it is. It's really amazing.

The two that amuse me the most are "come eat with me" and "come guard me while I poop" 

I often try to record him, but he hates cameras. The moment one comes out he shuts up and stops what he's doing. 
I love talkative cats!  : )

kitty chew

Kitty chew
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does anyone's cat make a brr sound? My little lady does this all the time. When she plays, runs, jumps off things, says hello, etc. It's always brr brrr. It's very cute! I can always hear her coming because she runs up making that sound like a little racing car. Just brr brrr instead of broom broom.

hatchytt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's real easy to tell my cats' mews apart, but then again, Hecate is a mute. So every sound she makes is either a hiss or a snarl. Her snarl is the loudest she makes.

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Does anyone's cat make a brr sound? My little lady does this all the time. When she plays, runs, jumps off things, says hello, etc. It's always brr brrr. It's very cute! I can always hear her coming because she runs up making that sound like a little racing car. Just brr brrr instead of broom broom.
Sounds really cute! i love it when they make happy little sounds.
It's real easy to tell my cats' mews apart, but then again, Hecate is a mute. So every sound she makes is either a hiss or a snarl. Her snarl is the loudest she makes.
We've had some kittens that open their mouth to meow but nothing even comes out or they just squeak. Its adorable.  : )

pegleg

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My girl Leeloo's recently discovered the top of the wardrobe and tends to climb up on the back of the chair to launch herself. The whole thing is punctuated with this busy, purposeful trill. It's a more intense version of her doing something trill and wonderful.

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Sounds really cute! i love it when they make happy little sounds.

We've had some kittens that open their mouth to meow but nothing even comes out or they just squeak. Its adorable.  : )
My kitten does this, I'm pretty old, I just assumed I can't hear the high pitched frequency. 

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a cat once that said "brr brr" so often we named her Brrt. My current two cats are also very different. Mingo has a wide range of vocalizations from "Nyeah" (in answer to "Are you ready for lunch?") to "AAAARRGGHH" when I step on his tail (he shouldn't leave it where I can step on it 
 ). Lily is a rather quiet kitty, and when she does speak, her voice is deeper and throatier than Mingo's. I guess you could say it's sexier. 

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I had a cat once that said "brr brr" so often we named her Brrt. My current two cats are also very different. Mingo has a wide range of vocalizations from "Nyeah" (in answer to "Are you ready for lunch?") to "AAAARRGGHH" when I step on his tail (he shouldn't leave it where I can step on it 
 ). Lily is a rather quiet kitty, and when she does speak, her voice is deeper and throatier than Mingo's. I guess you could say it's sexier. 
Sometimes I think cats ask to be stepped on. They get under your feet right when you start to walk, never when you are just standing still.

lstrick0

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My little girl meows back when I talk to her. Just a little mew. I love it. My pookie (older cat) prefers to use her eyes to communicate. She meows grumpily when you pick her up.

jkuras

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
HI, I am glad you brought his up. Lately, my rescue cat has been demanding more and more of my time.  I work at night and I am home in the day 3 days a week.  I make sure I play with him in the morning and before I leave for work and when I come home, even though it is around 1AM!

But lately, he has been howling for my attention all the time.  If I don't respond, he does crazy things - I am exhausted trying to keep him happy.  He will not play with toys only with me with a string on a pole.  I have had him now almost 4 months.  The vet thinks he might be around 1 year or a bit more in age.  This play drive has been growing daily.  He loves to run after me and grab my legs and bite me or he jumps way up in the air to bite my hand - I am his toy.

I really don't know how to satisfy this drive.  He hates cats and dogs or I would consider another rescue cat.  He hisses, spits, and growls at other animals and gets physically sick afterwards, all stressed out . He was found on the street, so he may have been attacked.

I bought him cat tunnels, cat boxes, cozy beds, rugs underneath for warmth.  I put cozy mats on the window sills so he lays there in comfort.  He has many places to rest and explore but I cannot seem to keep up with his growing play drive.

I know he is feeling good and strong now - as he was very underweight and very lethargic before so of course, I am thrilled to see a strong, husky happy cat, but his constant meowing and howling for attention, is exhausting me.  As soon as I pick him up and cuddle him and play with him, he is happy and excited.  Once I stop, the howling and frustration begins again.

Any suggestions?

Meowed out Joyce

Last edited:

clmgordon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Joyce - make sure to get him neutered if he isn't already, that makes a big difference. Try putting a bird feeder outside of the windows where he sits (there are hummingbird feeders that attach directly to the window). Attach a toy on a string to a counter so that it dangles and he can play by himself. If possible, an outdoor enclosure will help work out his energy. Try a laser light so that you can just sit and make him run his energy out. I know you said he doesn't like other cats, but are you sure he wouldn't be able to accept a younger kitten?

My female kitten says "brrt brrrt!" when she's happy, it's so cute. Is that primarily a female thing? None of my previous male cats have ever made that sound... My big boy kitty murmurs. Often that's how he talks to me but sometimes he just sits there murmuring to himself "MMMmmm mmmMMMmmm mm!" I always love it when my kitties talk.

jkuras

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Clmgordon:

I can't do any bird feeders.  I live in an apartment and it is not feasible.  He is neutered.  I will try the laser light.  He already growled and hissed at a kitten.  I will not stress him out as I explained, his little body went into shock mode and  it affected him for over 8 hours.  It was traumatic for him to be with other animals.  The vet agreed . She said he is delicate.  I am 66 years old and we both know that is too old to start with a young kitten even though I did rescue Sushi.  He was too sweet to pass by and the vet's office staff wanted to adopt him but none of them could as they already had too many pets.

I love the personality of a Siamese so I couldn't resist him.  He is a fabulous cat.  Affectionate and so trusting.  He lays on his back with his paws up in the air on my bed.  I can wiggle them and kiss them and  gentle kiss his face and he just lays there and stretches out.  I think he is spoiled as I do love him up all the time when I am home.  He loves attention.  

He is so unusual and very demonstrative of what he wants when he wants it.  He wakes me up at 6AM and if I don't get up he jumps on me over and over making annoying sounds.  I laugh  After I feed him and give him fresh water, he comes back in another 30 minutes and wants to play.  I can't win.

Anyway, my comfort is that he is happy and playful and  seems to really feel comfortable in my home and his surroundings.  He sleeps everywhere,  High places, low places, on the floor, in boxes and tunnels, in closets and in his bed.  

Just too cute.

Joyce

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
My boy does that. Whenever he jumps down from certain height and while running around. I call him 'Motocross cat'. He sounds like a motocross bike :lol3:

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hey Joyce, have not heard from you for awhile. Hope everything's fine with you. How's sweet Sushi doing?

I think Sushi is just seeking attention. My boy, nowadays, meow to be carried. Either just to carry him and walk around the house or if he wants to play with certain stuffs that are out of reach. But I find it adorable when he does that. Otherwise he'll lay by his ball pr paper back and wants me to play with him. Of course, I don't have the energy and stamina to catch up with him. So I play peekaboo with him as he runs all over and I just peek at him from the bedroom door and he'll go running all over the house and tables and sofas and finally jump on me. And after a few rounds of that, he'll be panting and it's time to stop :lol3:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My youngest girl says "brrrr!" when my male walks by; this is to greet him and initiate play, which they love.  He's 9, she's 12, and they're like two kittens together!