Cat Not Using The Box

joelito

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everybody !

I have a small problem with my 5 year-old cat Fatima, who is sterilized.

In brief: I got a new kitten starting January 1, 2019. It took around 3 months for Fatima to stop hissing and to become friends with the small boy cat. Now they do everything together. Now the kitten is 12 months old, but not yet sterilized (as I've had no problems with him until now I've tried to postpone it).

Now suddenly, starting couple of weeks ago, Fatima no longer uses the box to make her poo. Instead, she makes it on the carpet, or next to the box just few inches away !

Right now I was just cleaning her poo from the bathroom to the corridor and all the way to the living room. She was leaving poo 'on the road'.

Is this a demonstration?
Or does she not support the odour of the non-sterilized cat - or what might be the issue...?

I'm very surprised because during the 5 years that I have been with Fatima, she only made this few times (usually when I came back from summer holidays), so I am quite surprised about what is happening.

Generally speaking she is a very sensitive and shy cat.

Thank you for everyone for any suggestions you might have !

-Joelito

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Any time that there is a change in litter box behavior, it might be a good idea to have a visit to the vet. If it is not medical, I wonder if she is reacting to the presence of a now somewhat older male who is intact. In general, I have experienced odd behaviors, including litter box, when I have had a cat in the house who was not yet fixed. Since she did react when you returned from vacation, it could be her way of making a statement.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd suggest a visit to the vet, first. One of the first symptoms of illness can be a change in litterbox habits. If she is having discomfort when she poops, she will associate the pain with the box, not her own bottom, and avoid it. Now, since she is very shy, changes in the environment could cause the upset tummy, but you do want to rule out an illness first!

I think, since your little boy would have matured sexually several months ago, that this is probably not the cause of the issue. She'd have done it much earlier.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No behavioral modifications will fix a medical issue. Take her to the vet first and rule out medical issues BEFORE you attempt any behavioral fixes. That she was pooing on the run sounds less like acting out and more like, “omg! What’s going on with my butt?!?” If she’s been having frequent unpleasant stools, especially ones that get on her tail or legs, she’s going to associate that with the box. Rule out things like worms or any other medical reason FIRST! Then with a clean bill of health, we can start exploring behavioral reasons for this.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Maggie poops on the floor when she's constipated. You could try hairball gel, treats, or food and see if that solves it.