Cat Not Eating, Probably From Mouth Pain -- Need Advice

helene

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat, Cleo, has had gingivitis and has had two periodontal treatments. My old vet (where I used to live) said that it is probably hereditary. I've been keeping a close eye on it. She has not eaten much in the last two days, and I consider this to be an emergency (hepatic lipidosis being the danger). My problem is that I just moved to a new city and my appointment with a new vet. up here isn't until July 30th. I'll be calling the emergency vet. hospital nearest to where I live. But in the meantime, especially today, can anyone give me advice on how to get her to eat in the meantime, before surgery. I've been watering down her food, to make it easier for her to eat (less need to chew), but can anyone recommend any kind of food that is moist enough and still provides flavor? She doesn't like the watered down wet food. Thanks so much.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try KMR (Kitten Milk Replacer). High calorie, high in nutrition value, and totally liquid. It's available in either powdered or pre-mixed, and you should be able to get it at just about any pet store.

Margret

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

helene

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is it for adult cats, too? Cleo is 4 years old (I should have said that in my post -sorry).

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it intended for adult cats? No. Is it safe for them? Yes, absolutely. One of the ways we help pregnant and nursing mother cats is to give them kitten food and/or KMR, because they help to replace some of the nutrients and calories that are going from the mother to her kittens.

It also has the advantage that for most cats, especially fairly young cats like yours, KMR should count as comfort food. You know where paw kneading when happy comes from? It's a hold-over from kitten-hood; that's the movement a kitten uses to get milk from mom's nipples.

Look, this isn't a good long term solution; it's a stop-gap to help your cat get through a rough spell, which is what you're looking for right now. This is a way to get some calories into Cleo, to avoid liver damage. Getting the gingivitis fixed so that she can eat normally is the long term solution, and you'll take care of that as soon as you can. The hope is that we can get Cleo through this difficult and painful time, with as little trauma as possible, and with no long term damage, and I think KMR may just do it. If you can find something else that she's willing to eat, go for it! But I think KMR will do the job for you even though it would be better if she could eat solid food. It may take you a while to transition her back to solid food once the gingivitis is fixed, but that's way low on the list of concerns in this situation.

Margret

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tikicat also makes a pouch food that is mousse. Maybe she will lick it on her own. If not, it may be a good consistency for syringe feeding. Hope she feels better soon!

helene

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you both -- you've been very helpful and I'm very grateful. Today I fed her a mash of wet food with beef broth -- she didn't like this very much, so I gave her a mash of wet food with tuna juice. It was mushy enough for her to eat some of it.
Also, I called my new vet. again, and they agreed to see her on Monday (they keep some hours open for emergencies), and they also told us about an emergency animal hospital that does dental work. So I think I'll be able to get her through the next two days (and if I can't, I'll take her to the emergency animal hospital).

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
That's great news! I was going to suggest mashing freeze-drie4d raw treats in the same amount of water (which would be easier to eat than kibbles) in case she will not eat wet food at all.

helene

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope she eats for you this weekend!!
Have you tried plain onion free meat baby food? Super mashy gross in texture but it has a smell a lot of cats find completely hard to turn down!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My guys will not eat watered wet food either. i think the baby food mentioned is a great idea. I dont know if this is widely available yet, but i just got some caru turkey and salmon in today, it is the wettest wet food ever i think. Its in a card board box, pours out kind of like cream of salmon, the flavor i got, soup. fine minced pieces of salmon in the gravy, but boy are they fine. If you have a good pet store near you they might carry it. Chewy just started with it recently, so petsmart might too?

I have also read from some others that if they will not eat wet they might eat a kitten kibble, the very small pieces they dont need to chew, just swallow. Merrick kitten kibble is quite small. Just another thought. Good luck with her, and keep us updated! :goodluck:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
duckpond duckpond , thanks for the merrick kitten kibble idea as I didn't know this was palatable and so small. Very good information to know!!! Thanks!!!!